"Hypothetically" If we signed Alex Smith

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joeyd223, Nov 7, 2013.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I can't believe this is even a discussion. You want to argue who has the brighter future? we can do that but for this year we'd be far better w/ Alex.

2. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Not a believer in A. Smith. Harbaugh was willing to choose Kapersnack over A. Smith, and Harbaugh is suppose to have his strongest qualities in Qb coaching. A. Smith has been a key member to incredible winning season, but I am predicting the fairy tale ends Sunday night.

A. Smith has surprised me so far this season, but I still feel like he is a "Mark Sanchez" confidence case.

3. Matt4776

Matt4776 Active Member

With Alex Smith:

We probably (only listing changes)

Lose to TB
    Beat NE week 2
    Lose to ATL
    Beat PIT

We end up with the same record, but with a much better AFC record.

We'd be 5-4, but NE would be 6-3 and we'd hold the tiebreaker.

That being said, I'm still much happier we have Geno. When the playoffs roll around, we need someone that can make plays in crunch time. I'm more confident in Geno than Alex in that sense. The turnovers will go down with Geno. Alex isn't going to spawn playmaking ability.

Besides, if we lose to TB week 1, maybe they have a much better season. Starting 1-0, maybe Josh Freeman gets some confidence and turns things around. Worse draft pick for us.

4. nyjunc

why would lose to TB? the reason TB was in the game was b/c of Geno. we easily beat TB w/ a vet QB.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

More like he doesn't fuck up enough to lose games. Do you remember the 49ers - Giants NFCCG? 49ers needed him to step up and he failed in the 2nd half. Sure they can blame it all on Kyle Williams (PR), but at the end of the day Smith was invisible.

6. nyjunc

whatever you want to call it he wins.

I remember when the great Eli led NYG to 10 pts the last 3 qtrs. and BOTH scores were set up by fumbled punts. I also remember a fumble on Bradshaw that would have set up SF to win the game late.

NYG's D was playing incredible football at the time, they shut down Rodgers at GB the week before, shut out Ryan and Atl then shut down Brady and the Pats.

7. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I'd say we'd be slightly better. Smith hasn't been as good as he was on the Niners, he's putting up mediocre numbers, but he's ranked higher than Geno Smith. If we had Alex, the only big difference would probably be less INTS. Therefor I reckon we'd be 6-3 instead of 5-4. I mean that's kind of obvious when using a vet (not named Sanchez) over a rookie.

#47 Barcs, Nov 8, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  8. 101GangGreen101

He had a whole half to do SOMETHING, he did NOTHING. Alex Smith can not be depended on when you need him the most.

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2012/01/inside-the-49ers/grades-for-the-nfc-championship-game/

He was GARBAGE.

9. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

No fucking way. That Chiefs defense is scary

10. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

This, hate on Alex Smith but he has won. And yes I get that he gets plenty of help but so did Flacco and people said the same stuff despite Flacco having the most wins since entering the league. The result ended up in a Super Bowl.

Not for nothing but the Niners are in the Bowl if that player didnt spot the Giants 10 points. Go watch the Saints-49ers playoff game and tell me this guy can not get it done.

11. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

You're Mark Sanchez obsessed. What in my post had anything to do with Sanchez?

12. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

This. Its unbelievably stupid to think Geno Smith is a better QB right now than Alex Smith. I dont even like Alex Smith but Geno is a bottom 5 QB this year who has played big at moments but horrendous more often.

13. Matt4776

Matt4776 Active Member

The problem with Tampa was they shut down our running game. Geno didn't play great, but he only had one turnover IIRC (I could be wrong).

I don't us getting out of there with a win with A. Smith at QB.

14. nyjunc

The difference in the game was SPECIAL TEAMS not the QBs.

He fumbled inside our 5 setting up a TB TD and also threw an INT in TB territory on 2nd down just outside of FG range.

we don't need a penalty late if Alex is our QB, we cruise to an easy win.

15. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Alex Smith isn't doing that much. The Chiefs have played an outright powder puff schedule, have a very good D and a solid running game. I'm not sure what he brings to the table with the Jets. I'm not sure what he does for the Chiefs when they face some adversity?

16. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Hes winning, its the only stat that matters. What more should he do if its working?

Until they get exposed, I cant critique much. If the complaint is that they arent winning by enough then whatever, style points are meaningless.

17. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Yeah but it helps in the Power Rankings which everyone knows determines playoff seedings.

:grin:
    _

18. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Last time I looked we have a winning record. We have played a tougher schedule and up until last week we didn't have an established running game.

I'm sure Alex Smith could have won the Saints game for us but we won that game with Geno. I'm not sure Alex Smith wins the Atlanta game? Could he have won the 1st NE game, maybe does he win the TN game, no shot. Pittsburgh?

I just don't see what he brings to the table. If you have a great D and a good running game and play an easy schedule he wins. This guy was fired by his last HC and he was winning when he was fired.

19. nyjunc

No shot in Ten? Geno's 4 TOs led to 28 pts, w/ decent QB play we have a GREAT shot.

here's how it likely plays out.

week 1: easier win over TB W
    week 2: no 4th qtr implosion, W
    week 3 we beat Buf: W
    week 4 we have a chance against Ten
    week 5 we needed a great game from geno at Atl. L
    week 6 geno was awful in a winnable game vs. Pitt
    week 7 we beat NE
    week 8 we lose to Cincy
    week 9 we beat NO

5 sure wins
    2 sure loss
    2 toss up games

let's say we win one of those tossup games and we are AT LEAST 6-3 and a game better w/ a chance to be 2 games better.

20. 101GangGreen101

You really going to blame ST, on a full half of inept play by Alex Smith? Again, Most of his 196 passing yards came on two long completions to Vernon Davis. He did nothing to help his team.