"Hypothetically" If we signed Alex Smith

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joeyd223, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Joeyd223

Joeyd223 New Member

"HYPOTHETICALLY" and because I was just thinking about it randomly the other day, What do you think our current record would be if we had signed Alex Smith this past off-season?? I think he would have been perfect for our style of play and the way our team is setup.. But hopefully Geno cuts down on the turnovers and our future should be very bright.. Anyways, I think we would be 7-2 maybe 6-3 but no worse.

2. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I can't stand Alex Smith. The Chiefs are winning every way but through the passing game and the QB. When it comes time for Smith to have to step up and win a game, he won't be able to because he is too conservative and afraid to throw down field.

The Chiefs have the look of a team that is destined to lose in the playoffs because of poor QB play.

Smith is a game manager and game managers only get a team so far.

3. greencrack

greencrack Member

Jets total defense is not as good as the chiefs, they have a overall better front seven and a better secondary. Alex smith also has jamal charles and dwayne bowe...mccluster too who is pretty good as well

4. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

With the extremely rare exceptions of Trent Dilfer and Mark Rypien

5. Joeyd223

Joeyd223 New Member

You guys don't think he'd be worth a couple more wins for us at this point in the season??

6. endydee

endydee Active Member

No. I actually think the Jets wouldn't have won 5 games up to this point if he was the QB.

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

No.

/thread

8. greencrack

greencrack Member

Doubt they win 3

9. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

If we improve our secondary this off-season it would be an intriguing thought to say the least. He's a pure game manager and very good at it. We need a very good defense and a good running game to get someone like him. He doesn't turn the ball over but is also not a playmaker, very intriguing.

10. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

I'm not a big fan of Alex Smith but to be fair he is accurate, rarely turns the football over and is a good runner and a top game manager. I think he would of fit what Rex wants to do here, not turn over the football. Not sure MnM would have loved him since he wants a guy who can air it out at times. I think he would of been good for us maybe we would even be better then we are considering Geno (although a rookie) has turned the ball over 16 times in 9 games.

11. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

No doubt there defense is better over all and he has better weapons on offense while Geno virtually has none.

I believe our d-line is better tho.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Alex Smith would have been a nightmare given the state of the other talent and the hole at LG early on.

The Jets probably would have started 1-3 and things would have degenerated from there.

Look at the people around Smith in the KC offense and realize that he's made nobody better. With the exception of Jamal Charles they're all having average or below seasons.

13. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

The Jets' last win against the Saints was more impressive than any win the Chiefs have had this year.

If the game were at MetLife, I think we beat the Chiefs right now.

14. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Alex Smith is still a better QB than Geno Smith. We're probably stil 5-4 with him. Maybe 6-3 with the first patriots game being up in the air or even the Steelers.

15. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Chiefs D and ST have scored more TDs than ours and that Chiefs team has had a much easier schedule. If you switch Smith and Geno only, I think 5 wins is about accurate. We don't have much talent and our run game struggled to start to year so in turn Smith would have struggled.

Alex Smith has scored 0 TDs in 5 games this season. Geno's done that in 3. I would say 5 wins but maybe different games. We probably lose the TB game but win the NE game. Maybe lose the ATL game as well. I don't think we are 7-2 or better with Smith. Remember this WR and RB crew has been banged up all year and the running game just started going the last game and a half

16. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

if Alex Smith was our QB...we'd still have a QB named Smith.

17. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

Yep, Geno has won some games with his feet too, Alex Smith would struggle with what little weapons are provided on our offense.

18. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Chiefs D is overhyped. Its a good defence that's had an easy schedule make them look elite.

lol

19. Sloup

Sloup Active Member

Alex Smith has amassed an amazing record on two talented teams with great coaching. That's not to say he's bad at his job (the difference between the Chiefs last year and this year shows you that he's definitely not), it's just that Alex and Geno are asked to do different things for their offenses.

Offensively speaking, the Jets have won through explosive plays. I don't have the stats, but Geno's success has come on 40+ yard pass plays, and I suspect that he is still toward the top of the list in that category. Alex Smith has won by protecting the ball and letting his talented running backs and wide receivers make plays.

This is working for the Chiefs, certainly their record shows it. But to say Alex Smith is the better quarterback and would have led the Jets to better than a 5-4 record may be overstating his value as a playmaker. You have to think Mornhinweg would game plan differently, but how successful could Alex be with Bilal Powell/Chris Ivory and Jeremy Kerley instead of Jamaal Charles and Dwayne Bowe? Geno has been the difference for the Jets against Tampa Bay, New England pt. deux, and Atlanta in ways that I don't think Alex Smith is capable, particularly when it comes to arm strength.

None of that matters, though. I'm happy with Geno Smith as my quarterback and I am excited to see what Mornhinweg, Idzik, and Rex put around him in the future to help him win.

20. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Our Smith > Chiefs Smith.

In terms of who I rather want.