How good is Austin Howard?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mangold Goldman, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

He's solid, an above average starter at his position, hopefully he resigns on the cheap

2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Ivory ran predominantly to the right side behind Colon and Howard last week against the Saints, including his 52 yard scamper from our own end.

3. MoWilkNYJ

MoWilkNYJ Well-Known Member

Bohannon got a great block there. Not taking anything away from Howard, just an observation. Hill actual made a really good block that play too after. Contained the DB for a long time.

[​IMG]

Hard to judge how Howard does here, but he's definitely not hurting the run in any way.

A few more gifs here

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2013/11/5/5068316/gif-breakdown-new-orleans-saints-at-new-york-jets

4. ItalianStallion

The guard pulling, I think Winters, does a nice job of blocking a Saints player as well. Bohanon/Winters did good by each blocking separate guys and clearing whole. I'm not sure if thats an "on the fly" move or if its predetermined. Either way, def a nice whole opening.

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I agree he has been improving. Obviously he has been a huge upgrade over Hunter. But I am concerned that Mangold and Ferguson seem to be in a bit of a decline.

6. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

It is hard to single out individual linemen unless they are especially good or especially bad. I do not think that anyone with the possible exception of Mangold (very good) or Ducesse (very bad) fits into either category.

With that being said, our line has done very good job of run blocking but have been a lot closer to average at best when it comes to pass blocking.

Hopefully as Winters develops they will do a better job of protecting Geno.

7. SyraJet

SyraJet New Member

Has he had a penalty this year? I haven't heard his name

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

FYI

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/11/06/2013-midseason-all-division-team-afc-east/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=2013-midseason-all-division-team-afc-east

9. I'm not sure there is a better RT in the NFL. That isn't to say the guy is an all pro or anything..their just aren't alot of quality right tackles these days.

Jets would be wise to re-sign him.They don't really have a back-up plan unless Aboushi makes MAJOR strides.

10. JetFanatic101

JetFanatic101 New Member

I haven't heard Howard's name mentioned once this season. I gotta believe that's a very good thing.