Cap Space

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Nov 6, 2013.

1. jetsillinifan

jetsillinifan Well-Known Member

If Holmes takes less keep him. Draft a 1 receiver and have him learn (this could end badly tho)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I agree with this. The NFL has become a season of attrition, and the bell curve of quality players needs to be well rounded rather than spiked. you can't let a couple of key injuries submarine your season. almost have to expect some key injuries.

sign your own players first (like Wilk), fill out the roster with dependable quality and vets, then draft BPA early and need later.
    high priced FA's need to be the rare exception (where cap and player availability line up perfectly), rather than the norm.

3. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I'd keep Cro, Holmes, Harris, Mangold and Brick.

4. NFL

NFL Active Member

Sanchez, cut.
    Holmes, either he takes a big pay cut, or cut.
    Cromartie, same as Holmes, but not as big of a pay cut.
    Harris, restructure for more cap.
    Brick, same as Harris, depending on his cap # for this year.

I don't mind seeing Holmes or Cromartie cut. I like Cro, but he's aging, and he's due for lot of money next year. Personally I wouldn't mind rolling with Milliner and Walls on the outside, with Wilson on the slot. All 3 are young, and both Milliner and Walls have the size, and have shown the potential to play on the outside.

As for Holmes, I ready want Watkins or Lee to replace him.

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Sanchez, Cromartie, Holmes and Harris will all be gone. A couple may be brought back at drastically reduced rates. That will leave us about 50 million under the cap.

#45 Don, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  6. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

A very valuable resource:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/cap-hit/2014/

Cap savings for cutting (or trading) a player is "Cap Figure" - "Dead Money".

Cromartie, Sanchez, Holmes, Harris each represent ~$9MM in cap savings for cut. Current 2014 alloted cap number for Jets is $100MM, so they have about $28MM or so free space right now.

7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Cromartie is paying child support for 10 kids for the next 20 years. And then 10 college degreees after that. And then 10 weddings after that. If Cro took a voluntary pay cut he'd be in jail within 3 months.

8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Cromartie is paying child support for 10 kids for the next 20 years. And then 10 college degrees after that. And then 10 weddings after that. If Cro took a voluntary pay cut he'd be in jail or shot within 3 months.

9. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Personally i'm hoping Holmes realies he's not going to get a big payday on the open market and restructures.
    I'm curious to see what Sudfeld does in the 2nd half if given opportunity with Winslow coming back.
    It would be nice if he shows promise and we can use that draft pick for another position of need.

The secondary needs a revamping, depending on what Miliner shows but we need a bigtime safety.

10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

lol this is funny

this one,not so much

11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I would not be surprised to see Holmes renegotiate a one year deal.

I also would not be shocked to see the Jets part ways with D'Brick. I think its a long shot he gets cut. But given his poor play this year they might be asking for him to take a pay cut. His play has really dropped off. Hopefully he will rebound in the 2nd half.

It also would not be surprising to see us cut ways with Cro. Cro is a guy who depends on his athleticism. He is a physical freak. As he gets older his game may decline a lot faster than a normal player. One has to wonder if his poor play this year is related to him being dinged up and not being able to depend on his physical gifts to make up for poor technique. As he gets older he will likely have to play through injuries more often. Next year might be the best time to part ways especially if Millner develops over the last half of the season.

The Seattle philosophy was to use the draft to build both lines 1st. With the poor play of Mangold and D'Brick this year it would not be surprising to see us invest at least one high pick on the OL next year.

#51 Noam, Nov 6, 2013
  12. United_Jets

United_Jets Active Member

It's pretty impressive the way Rex and co. have turned this defence around from a dominant secondary focussed on shutting down receivers and getting pressure with exotic blitzes to a league-beating defensive front that shuts down the run and pressures up the middle.

It's become pretty obvious that the best way to shut down the likes of Manning and Brady is to move them off the spot and take them out of their rythm by getting pressure right up the middle. They're just too good at beating the blitz and clearly this defence has been designed with this in mind. I was sceptical to say the least when we took ANOTHER d-lineman with Richardson at number 13 this year but am thrilled to have been proved spectacularly wrong!

13. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

Didn't read through every post, but I actually made a thread in the similar thought process almost 2 months ago with some numbers in it … http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=78839

A couple things to consider also are the re-signing of Mo Wilkerson and probably Jeremy Kerley since they'll both be going into the final years of their rookie contracts

The rest of that draft class includes Kenrick Ellis & Bilal Powell (not a bad draft, other than Scotty McKnight). But 5 competent players (5th being Greg McElroy) is not a bad haul from a draft class

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets would basically have to find a good LT cheap to cut D'Brick.

He's due about $7.7M in compensation on the year, which is an average number for an established NFL LT. The journeymen are making $3M or so.

His cap number on the year is $11.7M but his dead money is $13M so the Jets are taking a cap hit even if they cut him. In other words he's not a cap casualty that's going to save the Jets cap space, just compensation on the year. So if they find the "good" journeyman who will take $3M they save $4.7M in compensation but they lose about the same against the cap overall.

I'm guessing they just roll with the deal for another year, similar to what I think they will do with Harris, and then manage in 2015 off of what happens in 2014. In 2015 they'll actually save some money by parting ways with D'Brick if he hasn't perked up by then.

#54 Br4d, Nov 6, 2013
  15. NFL

NFL Active Member

I'm sure they'd lower his child support if he's making less money.

16. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

D'Brick is locked up for a couple years at least. Even if we got a LT in round one of the draft he would move to LG or RT before we would think about getting rid of him.

17. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

No way we cut ties with Brick. We need all the talent we can get on OL and I just think the lack of talent at the other positions on the line is making his play look worse. With more talent and experience around him, the guy is a stud. I think we would be taking a step back if we lost him. Like we all have said, good teams are built in the trenches. We need Brick for years

18. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I'm willing to bet that Cro & Holmes both restructure to stick around. We know Holmes value won't be all that high, UNLESS he starts tearing it up and leads us to a playoff win or 2. If that happens he'll stay here nomatter what. I know a lot of folks don't like Holmes but he's been solid and I'm pleased with his performance thus far. The injuries are unfortunate, but when he's played he's been very good aside from maybe the first couple games back after going a year without touching the field. Dude is a warrior, not everyone can come back from an injury that devastating with 2 separate surgeries with tons of rehab and still make big plays. People talk about Stephen Hill being MIA, but watch what happens as soon as Holmes & Winslow come back.

#58 Barcs, Nov 6, 2013
  19. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

I hear Richie Incognito is gonna be available soon! We gotta sign that beast.... errr, animal!

But seriously, I think Idzik will take a conservative approach. No reason to cut players and create dead weight that has no return on value. Especially with all the holes we will still have to fill next year I don't see any way for Idzik to fill all of them with quality and provide much depth without bankrupting the future (again). So I'd have to agree with the folks who've argued that Idzik will likely retain most of the players under contract if only to provide some depth, so long as the cap numbers are kept reasonable. I think Cro and Holmes are smart enough to know that neither are in position to demand big paydays, so they'll play ball.

As for the others, well, it really comes down to need. Will we need to bring Winslow back for depth or do we bring in someone with more upside, more future, etc? On OL can we continue to fill it out, provide depth, AND maintain at least as good a level of play as we have had this year (preferably better) without resigning Colon? For these reasons I could see some of these guys brought back. For example, if we are going to start a RG then I'd want Colon back as a backup for cheap. I don't like the strategy of starting a new player and backing up a newbie with another developmental player (not unlike what we are going thru at LG). So Colon could be wonderful insurance as well as a good mentor to his replacement.

#59 Aewhistory, Nov 6, 2013
  20. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member