Musician Lou Reed dies at 71

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by gustoonarmy, Oct 27, 2013.

1. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Shit 71 is no age :(

RIP Lou

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/report-musician-lou-reed-dies-71-180412382.html#akM6JPX

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Great musician. The 60's are starting to fade away on us.

3. IBLEEDGREEN17

IBLEEDGREEN17 Well-Known Member

wow. amazing musician.

4. joe

joe Well-Known Member

....plucked her eyebrows on the way,
    shaved her legs and then he was a she...

r.i.p.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I was thinking about that song, which is the one that penetrated the mainstream, but most of his work was just so different.

If you like that song you'll probably like Songs For Drella. It's a tribute album that Lou Reed and John Cale put together to memorialize the life of Andy Warhol, who was the manager for the Velvet Underground when the group took off.

6. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

A nice Jewish boy from Brooklyn who grew up on Long Island (and died there too). As Brian Eno famously said about his influence, only 30,000 people bought the first Velvet Underground album, but all of them started a band. His music wasn't my most favorite in the world, but I did see him perform at the Academy of Music (what later became the Palladium) on 14th Street when I was in college. RIP.

7. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

My favourite...

[YOUTUBE]MOmZimH00oo[/YOUTUBE]

Old dudes thread :smile:

8. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

a hustle here, and a hustle there, new York city is the place where
    they say hey Lou, rest in peace pal!!

9. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Looking back much is rightfully made of the influence Reed had, in particular on punk, and in turn what influence punk had. Still has. That's an influence that is rightly recognized. But there is something I have always felt is kind of problematic about the whole high concept low craftsmanship approach to music, an approach that Reed can fairly be associated with. The quote from Eno is funny and no doubt somewhat right, but as The Byrds noted ironically in So You Wanna be a Rock and Roll star the abbreviated lines "get yourself an electric guitar... and in a week or two..." - in truth there is something more to it than that.

It takes more commitment to the craft of playing music well. It can be argued, whether cynically or otherwise, that Reed's approach to some extent was more influential and pervasive than the alternative. But of course there remain plenty of musicians who are committed to playing their instruments well.

In that connection Reed was well known for putting down West Coast contemporaries such as The Grateful Dead, the Jefferson Airplane and others. He even had the nerve to complain they were not such good musicians. Lou Reed should know not such good musicians, but his comment was both ludicrous and unfair.

Of course he was associated with Andy Warhol, and not for nothing, as to a large extent Reed's approach to music was similar to Warhol's approach to "art". Ftr I do not dismiss Warhol out of hand, either, and one must acknowledge his influence, and resales of his work at high prices, continues. But there also continues the nagging perception that there is something of the Emperor having no clothes, if you will, to the whole Warhol public image. Even in post WWII art his work to me lacks the craft of people like Pollack and Rothko.

In truth the punk movement that Reed served as sort of a godfather was not all crashing chords and screams. Even the Ramones in truth knew how to play what they did well, which is arguably more than you could say for the Velvet Underground. And bands like Blondie really did know how to play and sing and write. Same for Talking Heads and Television. I think even The Strokes know how to play.

So let's just say we can appreciate the high concept part of Reed's influence while being thankful that the low craftsmanship part was not bigger than it was. As big as it was. RIP , Lou.

10. nycarl

nycarl Active Member

Interesting post. I didn't know he ripped WC bands, and I'd have to say anything the Airplane, Country Joe and especially Quicksilver Messenger Service did would blow away anything VU did musically, but there are plenty of early VU songs that showed some musical chops. I'd compare them to the Who in that respect. Townsend is a GREAT stylist but a mediocre guitarist, imo. That doesn't stop me from listening to the Who's early albums; I still love their energy. I feel the same about VU, with songs like I'm Waiting For My Man, The Operation, The Gift, etc- even the Nico songs. No, they didn't have the talent of Cream, for example, but they did a bunch of good, high energy R n'R songs with subject matter far out of the mainstream. Some even had a good beat and were easy to dance to! :)

11. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Ah, a Quicksilver fan! Me too.

Good analogy between early Who and VU and punk. I agree, although I would add Townshend eventually became a much better guitarist, but also would add that in terms of craft the Who had one of the greatest rhythm sections ever in Entwhistle and Moon. Great vocals, too, with both John and Pete adding to Roger. But I digress.

I certainly did not mean to diss VU. I just take issue with the high concept low craftsmanship model for lacking what it obivously does lack.

You also allude to what is probably Reed's biggest influence, which is more literary, that being his choice of lyrical subject matter.

12. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

[YOUTUBE]EkbpmFOuKrc[/YOUTUBE]

13. wexy

wexy Member

RIP, I still have a lot of that stuff on vinyl. Went to see Steve Earle last night and he opened with 'I'm Waiting For The Man". Heard that The Killers also played a Lou Reed song at their last showl

14. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

pete is arguably the best writer in rock history, and he's probably got the best right hand in the world of rock guitar, but that's my opinion. hard to compare anyone or anything when it comes to music as it really comes down to what is pleasing to the ear, and that varies so much with everyone.

15. nycarl

nycarl Active Member

a little late, but... Great version of "A Quick One", as well as a bunch of other unappreciated cuts from lotsa bands at Monterrey. Mo0n really was amazing! Blues Project were great too-

TommyJ likes this.
  16. nycarl

nycarl Active Member

How about some pre- Kooper Blues Project? Danny Kalb sure could play some sweet guitar-

TommyJ likes this.
  17. nycarl

nycarl Active Member

Holy crap! pre- Who, the High Numbers in concert. Primitive but amazing. and Moon was... himself, mebbe the best rock drummer of all time. His work on the Happy Jack album (bought it 5/3/67) was killer.