Stephen Hill: Milk Carton Status

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CurbYourEnthusiasm, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

He has shown improvement, but that is funny.....:rofl2:

2. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

he has actually gotten decent separation many times, but Geno has been looking to the other side of the field or underneath. I recommend watching the All-22 film that someone posted the other week and focusing in on Hill ... you'll see a good amount of missed opportunities for big plays

3. southparkfanciz

southparkfanciz Active Member

Guys not a #1 and is asked to be at the moment. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that after Holmes went out he's only gone for 46 yards max a game. After the Jets bye Hill will get more looks

4. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

I think the main difference is that fans project (and the organization drafted) Hill to be a top receiver in this league. Kerley was a 5th round pick, and his ceiling was (and most likely always will be) a slot receiver because of his size.

It's all about expectations and potential. Kerley is as consistent as they come. Hill looks like a #1 some games and in others you don't even know he's playing.

5. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

I think the problem is he's built like megatron
    but plays like Barney.

6. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

This is it at the moment. It looks like his hands have become a lot more reliable this year which is a start but he just lacks the intensity to force his way open and demand targets from Geno. For next year the question is whether he can learn to play with aggression or not which will be the difference between him being a role player and a true receiving threat.

Regardless we'll be dropping Holmes and need to draft a WR with one of the first 2 picks unless we pick Ebron/ASJ then add a playmaking WR in FA.

7. 74

74 Well-Known Member

coulda had Alshon Jeffrey. went two picks later. or that 4 td a-hole Marvin Jones went 3 rounds later. anyway I like Hill and I have faith he'll pan out but I hope he hits the weights hard and puts on some muscle for next year.

8. socaljetfan

socaljetfan Active Member

He only played half of last season though.

9. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

To be fair, considering the System he played in, his production was pretty good. His Stats in his Junior Year are simular to Megatron´s Sophmore Year. I´d say thats pretty solid, considering, we´re talking about a guy who might become the best there ever was.

Hill always was a Project. Perfect Messurables, good Production, great Person but pretty raw, he wasnt asked to really run NFL-Routes and his Hands were subpar. Those negatives are things, that u might or might not be able to Coach, if u can, u´re looking at a beast if u cant, u get what we have now.

I think it´s a little early to judge, since those kind of Players usually don´t really come around until the end of their 2nd season, or later. But if u bash them for taking him, u gotta bash them for taking a risk in the 2nd Round, instead of going for a more safe pick.

10. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Without Holmes on the field, the big focus teams will have against the Jets is to eliminate the deep game, and the prime deep man is Hill. We really need Holmes back because his presence alone opens up other receivers. Hill is just getting more defensive attention than the other WRs.

11. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

It's gonna take Hill a few years to develop. He's improved a lot between year 1 and year 2. Which is good. Year 3 is when you usually can start to really judge a player.

12. shelbyblue

shelbyblue Member

When have seen Hill go up over top and get a ball, he always waits for the perfect pass to be thrown in the breadbasket. Hill is supposed to be a #1 receiver i'm sorry in his second year a WR's route running and separation skills should be better. This guy has the fluidity of marmaduke and comes up hurt or limping after every play, this is a Tanny bad pick. Like Rex said he didn't want him and nobody else would have taken him that high. Trade him and a three to Cleveland for Jordan Cameron today.

13. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Well he was projected to go in the 2nd. Also I highly doubt Cleveland gets rid of Cameron.

He was drafted as a project which is Tanny's fault but I wouldnt be surprised if he becomes a much better receiver around year when he fills out and learns more.

Definitely disappointing so far.

14. Who said he was supposed to be a #1 receiver at this stage? Do you even know the guy's background?

You realize he was thought to be a round 1 pick on draft day,right?

15. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Hill was a reach that we actually traded up for. If Idzik was the GM we either get Hill without moving up or we get another WR on our board.

16. NewYorkEveryThing

It's not like Hill has montana throwing him the damn ball. He is a good 2nd,3rd WR IF he can get into a system that can make plays for him. We have no other WR's.It is hard to be the only one making plays. I am not dissatisfied with him in general but the offense as a whole.

17. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I'm disappointed in the slow development of Hill, but it's way too early to throw in the towel. I think of Amani Toomer ... An early 2nd round pick I was screaming at the Jets to draft at the time, but they went with Alex Van Dyke ---- and I'll never forgive Parcells for that idiocy. We would have had Keyshawn on one side and Toomer on the other, with Chrebet in the slot. Pretty potent.

But Anyway, Toomer started slow but finally blossomed in his 3rd full season with the Giants and went on to post 5 consecutive 1,000 yard seasons with 70+ catches. Give him some time and I still believe MM will get good production out of Geno/Hill.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I keep hearing that the Jets view Hill as a 3 or 4 year developmental pick. The problem is that means you spent his entire rookie contract developing him and then just as he's about to hit free agency you have to make a call on whether he's actually going to be a plus player or not.

That kind of pick is a recipe for failure in my opinion. You have to get the early bump out of your high picks. They can't be zero's on the field for two plus seasons. By then you're already stuck in fill the gap mode and you're caught between spending real assets to cover the hole or making a stopgap move and praying your guy comes through just in time to pay him through the nose.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yeah, Hill was a 4th or 5th round pick that the Jets fell in love with. There've been a few too many of those. Shonn Greene was the same story.

20. Sorry. This was just never true.

He was talked aboiut by all experts as a late 1st/2nd round pick.

6'4 215 WRS who are productive at legit schools & run a 4.3 do not go in the 4th or 5th round.You can debate if he was a fit for the Jets...but I'm sorry....there's no way in hell is draft grade was that of a 4th rounder.