The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

We had a lot of young guys getting schooled today. Geno, Winters and Hill all played key parts in the debacle on offense and Milliner was toast early on defense.

Andy Dalton is on a huge roll right now and the Jets walked into him at the wrong time. That was enough to lose the game. The margin in the score was because young guys tend to look a lot worse than they are when they are matched up against a 3rd year pro coming into his own.

2. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

My brother watched the game at my house and was killing Hill because we had been watching Redzone all afternoon and he kept seeing Dez Bryant and Megatron making incredibly strong hand catches and I had to leave the room he was being so obstinate.

Hill is a work in progress, has NEVER been that type of player and is progressing ever so slowly.

Another Jet fan with no patience. Hill is a physical specimen with height and speed. It's just going to take time for him.

_

3. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

The SNY crew gave Geno a pass on the two pick 6s because he was playing from behind but nailed the defense esp the Dbs. And correctly so they were horrible. But the second pick 6 was a worse throw than anything I ever saw Mark Sanchez throw up (and believe me he did that to me on many occasions that is made me throw up) It made the game look like amateur hour and like we were a Division Two team playing Alabama. He's been taught not to do this and spoken about it many times. Today he said after the game that he'll always make mistakes. But to me that's no excuse. You can't reward those kind of mistakes and that kind of regression with more starts. This isn't a developmental league and the Jets should know this after coddling Mark for four seasons. So if he continues with the picks I wouldn't start him. I'd give him New Orleans but if he's horrible and makes those kind of mindless plays then I go to probably Garrard. Just one more thing about Geno. Earlier in the game there was a botched play with him and Kerley. He seemed to openly point the finger at Kerley on the bench after the play. Not a good idea. You don't show up your teammates even if it was their fault. I hope someone takes him on the side on this one too.

4. Br4d

You can't wait for a WR to progress. The position is a value-added position. You can't build around it because having a great WR hasn't won anybody anything in the salary cap era.

So waiting for Hill to progress is like treading water because even if he gets there, and the odds are very iffy at this point, it isn't going to do much to make the Jets a good team.

They need a good WR right now. Because having a good WR would increase the chances of Geno progressing and *that* is a key element in whether the Jets are going to be good or not.

You cannot develop a project WR and a young QB at the same time. They'll just keep undercutting each other and lowering the overall bar.

Think about who the young WR's who took a bit of time to get off the ground but then turned out to be good were. Now look at who their QB's were.

5. JStokes

Hey, I'm a Jet homer, I like all of them. That's my problem, I'm willing to give all of them a chance because gnashing my teeth isn't (i) going to make them better right now or (ii) get someone here right now that is going to be better.

_

6. Br4d

If I'm the Jets I'm giving Geno his best shot at progressing and that probably means having Kerley, Nelson, Cumberland, Powell and Bohannon on the field as the starters. Powell over Ivory because Powell can catch the football in the flats reliably. Bohannon because he can pass block and catch the football reliably.

Work Hill in now and then in spread sets. Work Winslow in when he returns. Work Ivory in for series at a time when the plan is just to ground and pound for some reason on that series.

7. JStokes

IDK I send Hill on a fly pattern every 5-6 plays and let Geno hit him deep.

And keep trying. Open up the underneath patterns.

_

8. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

10 TD/16 TO - rookie or no rookie - those numbers are no going to cut it.

At some point you go from having potential to being a guy that has flashes but will just be a turnover machine. He needs to step it up.

Sanchez through his first 8 - 11 TD / 12 TO - you need to be closer to that 1:1 ratio as a rookie at worst or you are hurting the team too much being on the field.

#4768 85inthehall, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  9. perpetualchange

perpetualchange Active Member

You forgot his rush TDs

10. 85inthehall

I edited -- doesn't make a big difference -- he has only 1 game without an INT-- Sanchez had 4 games without an INT in his first 8.

I want to see some improvement from the guy.

11. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Isn't anyone else tired of having this conversation with Giants fans?

Sure, you guys may have five Superbowl rings but we have something more important than that. We have Geno Smith. He may not look like a football messiah now but just you wait. Once you look past the bad decisions, the behind the back butt fumble, the 1.00 interception per game average you can see it. He can run, they like even timed him in the 40 yard dash before the Jets drafted him. He can also throw the ball really hard and most of the time he throws it to one of our guys instead of the other team. Just you wait and see.

I really, really hope that puts things in perspective for some of you.

We heard all of this crap before with Sanchez, how despite his horrible decision making during the rookie season he somehow became some kind of success and a leader during the playoffs.

Geno didn't even beat out Sanchez in a fair competition. Sanchez, who was winning the competition, got hurt in a meaningless exhibition game and Geno was anointed the starter. What happens in August when Sanchez takes a pay cut and outplays Geno in pre-season?

12. 85inthehall

Geno isn't even playing as well as Sanchez did in his rookie season and that was after Sanchez had one season as a starter in college.

13. DimsAllmighty

DimsAllmighty Well-Known Member

Really? Sanchez had the #1 defense, #1 run game, and more weapons to work with. Geno hasn't lost a game by throwing 5 interceptions in a game where we had over 300 yards of running. Geno has shown more signs of being a franchise quarterback in his rookie season than Sanchez did in his.

#4773 DimsAllmighty, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  14. 85inthehall

I am so sick of hearing about weapons -- Jets are rushing what 130 yards a game? Defense is the best against the run and one of the best on 3rd down defense, 4th in sacks?

In Sanchez' first 8 games he a a 5 INT game and a 3 INT game -- so 8 of his 10 INT came in 2 games. That means he had 4 clean games with no INTs. He understood that he needed to move the chains, don't make a big mistake, be efficient...In Geno's first 8 games he has 1 clean game.Jets in 2009 had a new coaching staff across the board. No continuity, a lot of new pieces, and Sanchez was able to grow as a rookie from week to week. Where the hell is that with Geno right now?

15. JustaJetFan

JustaJetFan Member

Oh come on, you can't blame this on Geno. Whenever the Jets end up facing a quality defense (Steelers, Bengals specifically), the defense does a good job of stopping the run. Their corners are also good enough to win against the Jets receivers in man coverage most of the time, which leads to Geno being forced to make throws even Peyton Manning would have trouble making.

I'm not QB expert, but it's obvious what's going on. The O-line gets exposed against a good defense too, making it that much harder for Geno to throw, and receivers to get open. Especially considering how throughout these games Geno was playing from behind. The TE's suck too, with the Jets best option being inconsistent with his routes and having a case of the dropsies.

The point I'm trying to make is that the situation Geno is in, would be difficult for any proven NFL QB, especially a rookie. I think it's a testament to Geno's skill level that this Jets team is still a .500 team despite the obvious lack of talent on the offensive side of the ball. You can spin the narrators all you want, but to anyone objective who was watching the Jets during Mark Sanchez's rookie year and now Geno's sees a drastic difference in what each QB was asked to do in their respective rookie year.

16. FlightBoys

FlightBoys Member

How about we get some actual weapons for Geno before anyone writes him off

17. 85inthehall

The three interceptions in the 4th quarter against NE? The Pick 6 against NE? The Picks 6's today? The awful throws against Pitt? His interceptions aren't situations where he is being asked to make an amazing play....he is throwing an out 3 yards from the line of scrimmage. He needs to see a DB sitting on a route, he can't overthrow receivers left and right, and can't keep underthrowing deep balls. As for Lack of talent -- Kerley, Powell, Ivory, Hill, Nelson, and Cumberland are all playing well. Add in when he had Holmes and Winslow they performed. He has plenty of weapons. Does he have an elite weapon no -- but he has been getting support of 130 yards a game rushing. All he has to do is don't screw up.

18. Br4d

Just one last time for the Sanchez/Geno comparisons.

I don't see Jerrico Cotchery out there. Instead I see Jeremy Kerley, and as good as Jeremy Kerley is I think we can all agree that he's not as good as Jerrico Cotchery was in 2009.

I don't see Dustin Keller out there. Jeff Cumberland is a decent prospect but he's not as good as Keller was in terms of being a young QB's security blanket.

I don't see Braylon Edwards out there. And no, I don't see anybody on this roster who compares to Braylon Edwards ability to catch the ball in traffic and force his way open as a result of that ability.

The talent level is just not there. There's nothing to do about that right now. Give Geno the same tools the Jets had in 2009 and things would look better right now.

That was then and this is now.

If Mark Sanchez had been throwing to Clyde Gates in 2009 we'd all have been having convulsive fits over the results. For a good part of the early season Geno was doing exactly that.

19. DimsAllmighty

DimsAllmighty Well-Known Member

Grow? you mean game plan around and ask very little of him. Geno is being asked to do much more with less talent around him. Sanchez had the benefit on one of the best offensive lines lines the Jets have had in a long time. Also, this years defense, although producing more pass rush, is nothing compared to the 2009 defense that was straight nasty. Geno is inconsistent because the team around him is just as inconsistent as he is. It's not fair to ask him to carry the whole team on his shoulders when there's so little around him. Here's a fun fact, before this game the Jets were number #1 in the league on converting 3rd downs from 10+ yards away (they still might be I don't know). Geno is growing week to week, his mechanics are getting better. Yes, he's got to cut down on the turnovers and no one is giving him a pass, but be patient and give him some time. He's producing more offensive with less weapons around him.

20. 85inthehall

Edwards was picked up in week 5 and was considered a guy that drops the ball too much.
    Kerley is solid -- he compares quite nicely to Cotchery. Hill has come on this season and has no drops, catches the ball over the middle, and is a big target.

It's not like Geno's mistakes are being made because he has guys dropping balls left and right. his interceptions are ugly...just ugly. Off target, mis-timed, just wrong throws. I don't see the consistent improvement from one week to the next . He just seems to make the same mistakes. I am not happy with the progress of a guy that was a top tier 3 year starter in college with a 4:1 TD to INT ratio. To not even be close to 1:1 has to be a concern if you think this guy is a future.