Would You Trade For Josh Gordon?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Oct 23, 2013.

1. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

[YOUTUBE]M0V3M6yM3_w[/YOUTUBE]

In case anyone is interested.

2. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

Well, they were able to pry a first from Indy for Richardson. They were able to acquire Bess from Miami by moving back in the 4th and 5th losing no picks.

If there was no risk of suspension, the picks being talked about would be much higher than a third and a backup bust 1st round corner lol

Same as above

3. FlightBoys

FlightBoys Member

If we win Sunday I think we will make a trade for Gordon. If we lose, then we stay put.

4. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Unless, somehow, we win, and Cleveland upsets Kansas City. If the Browns win they're 4-4, and there's no way they could trade their
    best offensive player when they have a .500 record, and still a remote shot at the playoffs.

5. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I thought that Cleveland already stated they weren't trading Gordon. Has this changed?

Honestly, guys our team is too up & down to really be considered worth bargaining the future to win now. Even if we get a win against the Bengals, I still see Idzik staying pat and saving those picks.

6. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

This is what I hope too.

7. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Two words: FUCK HIM.

8. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Ok why do you guys keep looking at this as wasting a pick

its basically just using it now to fill a need we would likely fill in the draft with the pick anyway

sometimes I think guys just want picks for no reason other than to have them

the 49ers and Packers had 11 picks this past draft and they've only gotten production out of like 3 players

9. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Its not a wasted pick if it happens, young and talented, but one misdemeanour away from a year ban. That's the only downside with this possible trade.

Its not the trade that irks me, its what we give up in return. It's likely that it will be a 2nd or 3rd to get him and yes that is good value. But we don't know who else could be available come the end of the season, or who could drop to us in the draft.
    Right now I'd say that we go either OLB or WR in the 2014 draft and by all accounts there is a ton of talent coming out, without baggage.
    Gordon has proved that he is NFL calibre, any player coming out of the draft does not come with a guarantee, its a bit of a crap shoot. But I have faith in our CS and think we will wait anyway.

By all accounts this is moot anyway, Dawgs ain't trading.

10. Mitch_Dumstein

No, hopefully NO

Idzik should stick to his mission statement about precious assets and not Tannenbaum any away for other teams misfits and locker room cancers

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

11. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Well-Known Member

I'd rather see us trade for Vincent Jackson, but I think any solid WR would do wonders for this Offense.

12. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

Lets assume that the trade on the table is Kyle wilson and a 3rd for Gordon.

If this is the deal this is a no brainer for the jets, especially if the 3rd is conditional. You have to ask yourself a few questions - (i) Wilson is in the last year of his deal, so do you think the jets are likely to resign him and (ii) are the jets likely to find someone with Gordon's talent with their 3rd round pick. I think the answer to both those questions is no. Moreover, even if they did find someone with similar talent in the third round, it usually takes a rookie receiver a few years of experience to become useful and Josh Gordon would be in his third year next year, which is usually a breakout year for a talented your WR. Moreover, he's 22 and has two years left on his rookie deal at a very affordable price.

There are only 2 reasons you don't make this deal - (a) you need Kyle Wilson this year or (b) the risk of Gordon being suspended. I think of wilson as an OK nickel, but I don't think he's significantly better than his backup (trading wilson also allows you to play walls at the other outside CB and Millner in the slot, which might be a better backfield anyway). There's no way to easily quantify the risk of Gordon being suspended - Idzik needs to talk to him and make a call and maybe make the pick a conditional pick.

To get a receiver of Gordon's talent for the offense would be huge. He would demand double teams and open it up underneath for Kerley and Cumberland. His being here would be huge for Geno's development and would likely significantly increase the Jets scoring. Also, Gordon seems to get behind the defense a lot and with Geno's ability to throw the long ball that would be a deadly combo.

If Gordon can be had for a 3rd and Kyle Wilson, I think the Jets need to do this deal, whether they win or lose this sunday.

13. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

You guys do realize Larry Fitzgerald will most likely be on the trading block next offseason also?

That would be bad ass to grab Fitzgerald!!

14. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

If this was 2011 when the Jets were in win now mode then fine. But not now, we're rebuilding we need young players.

15. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Ya the Gordon trade makes perfect sense for Cleveland, trade away your best young WR, for a team whose been on the rebuild for how long? Based on what, dumping Richardson, who is a bust, perfect logic, keep dreaming.

16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

A great GM is more than just getting lucky in the draft...there's a lot of wheelin and dealin behind the scenes (see Revis Christ).

I am not against trading players or picks for other players, as long as we come out smelling like a rose. Sometimes other teams find themselves in a bind, and if Idzik can take advantage of that? Good.

I think Idzik will be in his own bind soon when the tab comes due for the Sons of Anarchy. Couples may be the odd man out, and if Idzik sees that coming now, then trading him for another young and rising star is what GMs do.

Idzik can shuffle the deck all he wants as long as he can pull 4 aces.

17. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

So ESPN just went over all the bogus NFL deadline trades with Adam an mortinson, funny how they didn't say anything about Gordon to the jets??? However Holmes to colts was the only trade involving Jets, enough of this moronic Gordon talk Jesus

18. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

This, I don't see Coples, panning out as a olb, to slow, it would be wise for udzik to field trade offers, I never liked the Coples pick to begin with, but I do hope he pans out, but I just don't see it

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This would be the logical response to the situation the Jets are in.

The problem with a trade for Gordon is the path he has followed since arriving in the NFL. You don't get one piss test from a year-long suspension by accident. The guy has failed multiple drug tests and he's done that under threat of suspension, culminating in the 2 game suspension this fall. There's no reason to believe the suspension is going to scare him straight.

The reason the Browns are willing to trade him is they think he's a coin-flip to get that year long boot and probably forfeit his career in the process.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Coples is great insurance on the front at the moment. His play at OLB is uninspiring but he is a very good front 4 defender. If the Jets were to lose one of the other bug guys we'd all be glad Coples was there to step in.