Bilall powell M.I.A. ??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NewYorkEveryThing, Oct 23, 2013.

1. NewYorkEveryThing

What happen to powell ?
    Is he hurt?
    He did play any snaps last week. We need this guy. A RB duo of him and Ivory should solidify our backfield.
    Any news on what is going on with him. Ivory was supposed to be on a snap count due to his injury past. Why is MM gonna burn out ivory? He is so important to our season ? We don't have 3rd string healthy.
    I cannot see tommmy bohannan run up the middle 5-7 times a game cause I will vomit.
    Pickup joe mcknight if we are low at RB or someone Idzik.

All I herd from rex after the NE game was that Ivory was hot. OK. But when he needed a rest, Rex threw in bohannan.

2. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

He's not on the IR, dunno been asking the same question.

Maybe he's after Goodson's hide n seek record :wink:

3. Mitch_Dumstein

Ivory is better

keeps those legs moving for extra yards after a hit

Powell may have gotten nicked up since he ran a couple of snaps early in the game

Powell, Ivory, Cribbs, Green

ALL better than godawful Joe McKnight

4. NewYorkEveryThing

Ivory gonna get hurt playing too many snaps. Then what?

5. Mitch_Dumstein

Ivory NOT gonna get hurt, then what?

are you a Doctor or just a gloomy gus fortune teller?

6. NewYorkEveryThing

Look at his history ? I am far from gloomy. I am just a jet fan .That's all.

7. tcrock

tcrock Well-Known Member

gotta think Powell was hurt........if not, not a smart use of backs in my opinion. It worked out ok against the Pats, but if both are healthy, both should see touches, in the same way Jones and Greene did a few years ago, when Jones and the line wore out the defense for 3 quarters thn Greene would come in and expose a tired d by end of game. Not sure if this is Marty's style though.

8. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

Powell went into the Pats game as probable with a neck injury. I wouldn't be worried, and I'm going to assume they'll split carries, 60/40 at most.

9. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I hope he's alright we're gonna need him.

10. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Neck/shoulder stingers are pesky injuries that can really slow you down, especially if your job is to run into guys that outweigh you by a 100lbs

He probably aggravated it early on...... but given the Pats D-line situation, I do see why the bigger / more physical backs would be more effective

11. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

I like Ivory's power and determination, Powell is a good backup, change of pace

12. NewYorkEveryThing

Do we need another back though ? Just in case, who do we have on our practice squad ? Who can we sign? Watching the giant game is making me think that if ivory goes down, we have no one but powell who did not even play last week. Who steps in? Cribbs? He is no RB? Though I would not mind him trying to learn how to block and formations. Cribbs should learn the RB position.

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I'm sure we would of heard of an injury by now if that were the case.

14. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

My guess is he's hurting, but not too bad.

15. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

16. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

Powell is not injured, but his shoulder is hurt. (By that I mean, he could play, but it's bruised up and probably painful, but not to the point of being an actual "injury".)

Before Week 7, Ivory complained that he has not been getting enough carries, but said that he's okay with it for now. So given the fact that Powell could use some rest, and Ivory was itching for more carries, they only gave Powell about 2 carries and let Ivory do most of the work for the game.

I think the injury concern with Ivory has to do with his style of play. He's such an aggressive and violent runner that his chances of having a major injury on any given play are a lot higher than the average RB; it's not that his body is fragile, it's that he's almost reckless in his aggressiveness to get extra yards after contact. I had no problem with him getting most of the carries, although of course I am also very much hoping that he doesn't get injured.

I'd have liked to have seen him break a few longer runs, but I think the Patriots were heavily guarding against the run to try to make up for some of their injuries.

Bohannon is never going to be the primary back, he's a fullback so his main skillset is blocking anyway. They'll give Tommy Bo 1 - 3 carries a game, unless he somehow broke free for a 20+ yard run or something (in which case he would get another 2 - 3 carries that game.) I think the RB situation will be okay, but it would be a serious blow considering we barely got to use Goodson at all before he tore his ACL.

17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i think you explained half of it. the other half being that the pats were vulnerable up the middle with wilfork out. they decide to go with the power running game since it was working. i think we see more powell this week trying to get to the edge instead of running at geno atkins and co.

18. NFL

NFL Active Member

Im sure he was hurt. I doubt that they would give Tommy carries with Powell being healthy.

I do like Ivory more than Powell though .

19. Barcs

Barcs Banned

It was one game. It's not the end of the world. Ivory looked good but Powell was banged up. It was the right move.

20. Bob Robbins

Bob Robbins New Member

Powell is better catching out of the backfield from what I've seen. I do like Ivory but he hasn't shown more than Powell this season yet. All he showed against the Pats was some durability and toughness. Yes he hits hard and pounds for a few extra yards, but he seems to hone in on contact and not make breakaway plays.

Ideally they split the carries at this point. Both bring something different and valuable to the table. I have to give a slight edge to Powell so far though (this season).