Would You Trade For Josh Gordon?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Oct 23, 2013.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Cleveland is fielding offers for him. But he is one piss test away from a one year suspension. It is just like the Santonio Holmes deal with Pittsburgh and almost the same situation. I hate trading picks.

2. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

cleveland are apparently after a "good" player and at least a 2nd round pick for this guy, so I would say "no" when you take into account (i) he is going to want a big contract soon and (ii) the suspension risk.

3. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

How many threads do we need about Gordon?

4. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

A move for Josh Gordon would be a last piece of the puzzle type move. That's what the Santonio Holmes move was.

The problem is that the Jets are still looking for edge pieces in the puzzle and they have big holes in the center as well, some of which may be coming into clearer focus as the schedule tightens and the injury factor really comes into play.

You clearly don't want to put together a huge package for a guy who has failed something like 5 drug tests since the combine. 5 failed tests tells you that despite great prosperity he isn't managing the transitions to his new NFL life very well.

Can you get him on the cheap? That's the question and where the risk should be established.

6. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Nope, not a chance.

Seeing as the reported offers are "a high pick and a player" the cost is too high for a guy with a history of troubles like his.

7. thatisjetsfootball

thatisjetsfootball Active Member

This guy is a headache and he will soon want big money.
    It would make no sense to trade a 2nd or even a 3rd, especially that are WR corp is still wong and could develop into something pretty interesting.

8. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

If they give a 2º round for him i will be mad seriously in such a good draft like 2014 you give your 2º round? seriously.

9. Dreadmadseen

Dreadmadseen Active Member

Yeah, for Wilson and a third.

10. Do you want to add a playmaker or not?

I don't see this as a "final push" move at all b/c A. we're talking about a 3rd round pick B. the kid is 22 years old & is still developing.

You make this move b/c it affects the short term & long term of this team.You get instant impact for this season & you pencil Gordon in as a foundational piece among what is developing into a young dynamic receiving corps.

You all realize that if this passes & we end up drafting a WR early, that player will want a large long term contract in his own right?

To me the good far outweighs the bad.

11. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

If Kyle Wilson is that player, I do it in a heart beat. Geno needs a weapon he can lean on and right now Jeremy Kerley is the closest thing to that player, but Kerley is not a true #1 receiver, Gordon would be. Gordon is a threat to opposing defenses that the Jets haven't had since Braylon Edwards.

Wouldn't you want to see actual production out of the WR position than Kyle Wilson dancing like a moron after an incompletion that he had nothing to do with?

Our CB depth is fine and can survive Kyle Wilson not being here, where as the Jets have a desperate need at WR for so many reasons.

Also concerning the potential for a failed piss test... I acknowledge that it CAN happen. However, I also believe it is a projection on everyone's part. Nobody wanted Brandon Marshall because he might continue his off the field issues if he came here. Santonio Holmes could've also failed a piss test when he got here and he hasn't. Hell, in the 2008 Presidential election everyone projected that John McCain was going to die before the presidency was out... had McCain actually won, he'd still be alive and kicking based on the fact that well, he's still alive and kicking. My point is, projecting a negative event is not a reason to disqualify a way to potentially improve the team.

I'm sure if the Jets do make a deal, it won't be done carelessly. There will be research and contingencies involved. This won't be a wild cannon maneuver.

12. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Risk is huge but upside is also huge. I still wouldn't trade and take my chances in the draft. Also I believe there was a thread already about this, no?

13. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Exactly. We paid a 5th for Holmes, and Holmes was much more proven than Gordon at the time. I think the Browns are asking too much.

14. BookEndTackles 72&79

Something just smells funny to me about this guy. I know it's a new regime in Cleveland but you have to ask the question why they want to move him??? They're not exactly loaded with offensive weapons themselves. He's on a cap friendly contract and his production is far outplaying that contract. He's under team control at a bargain basement rate thru 2015. They need a QB and they will get one next year given their current trade ammo and that trio of Jordan, Gordon, new QB can serve as a nice starting point for thier offense. Why can't they use him in their rebuilding process??

15. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini 29m
    #Jets sign former Patriots CB Ras-I Dowling, who worked out yesterday, to the practice squad.

As good a place as any to post this.

16. FlightBoys

FlightBoys Member

And the browns picked up a WR yesterday, coincidence, I think not

17. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Very good points. Something is rotten in Denmark.:mad:

18. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Why are the Browns shopping a dynamic 22 year old potential elite receiver?

19. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I would guess they don't want to worry about losing him for a year. The Jets may see that risk as something they are willing to live with. The Jets have a lot of pick and a ton of cash to spend next year and even if they did lose him for a year they would still get him back.

20. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

They clearly tried to tank early in the season when they were 0-3 but Hoyer won them games and now that there losing again they are trying to go full tank mode again. Just my opinion.