Your opinion on endzone hotdogging

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreenTay, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

It's gotten ridic at this point.. It doesn't even only happen in the endzone anymore.. These guys make a tackle and they are running 15 yards down the field celebrating..

2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I think the player attitude about taunting has also empowered fans to treat fans of other teams poorly at home games. Basic manners no longer apply to the players or the fans.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I'm mostly okay with it. Sometimes it's fun, like the somersaults and dances and all that. Sometimes it pisses me off, but I fall under the opinion if you don't want to see it the defense should keep them out of the end zone.

I do think the Pats should've gotten 15 yards on the pick 6 hot-dogging. There is a line to cross - and grabbing your junk at the opponents while play is still on-going is crossing that line.

4. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Every time I see a player celebrate in the offense's backfield after making a sack or tackle for loss, I wish the offense would rush to the ball and snap it while he's acting like a moron offsides.

5. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Not a big fan of hot dogging to show up the other team. Its classless. That said if someone that isn't expected to score (D line, LB, etc.) then have fun and celebrate.

I was at game and didn't record it but I was very worried on the Kerley TD. At game speed it looked like he caught it and dropped it while going out of bounds.. Did anyone else think oh SHIT they're going to reverse the call because the idiot wanted to celebrate too early?

6. OUACOWA

OUACOWA New Member

Just win the game like we did and it don't matter what some punk did

7. TheJetLife

TheJetLife Well-Known Member

I have no problem with celebrations after a sack, or after a TD in the end zone (like a dance or something). But once it becomes a direct taunt or an excessive celebration in mid field for making a decent play, then it's not cool. But sometimes those TD dances are so entertaining.

8. I Still Heart Chad

Agreed! At the end of the day these guys are entertainers. I can see directly taunting the opposition as classless, but I don't see how "gettin' ya popcorn ready" is classless, but maybe that is just me.(I agree the Dallas Star celebration was over the top, but the Ray Lewis dance was great TV imo)

9. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

When TO stashed a Sharpie in his sock, scored a touchdown, autographed the ball, and handed it to a fan in the stands that should have ended all of the showboating.

No matter how hard anyone tries they will never ever top that shining moment in the history of showboating.

Just give it up folks TO has the crown and no one will ever be man enough to take it away from him.

10. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

Ah good. At least someone noticed and made mention. I was really ticked off that the announcers made no mention and the refs did nothing. I would think that would be in line with an unsportsmanlike penalty or something like that. if someone stashing a pen and signing and football is a penalty* then playing with yourself in public damn well should be.

*= I can't recall if that incident was penalized in game as well as post game. Anyone recall? Wasn't OchoCincoDeMayo who did that? In any event, some of these celebrations have been penalized during and after the game and I can't see how this one didnt qualify.

EDIT- ah, the reply above me has the answer. TO, not OuchoDeJohnson.

#70 Aewhistory, Oct 21, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  11. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

+1000. So stupid, if you don't want to be taunted don't let them score?

So 70 TDs every weekend are 70 licenses to act like a classless d-dirtbag?

LOL, I weepz for the children.

The crown of what--dooshbaggery?

Yeah, who would want to be "man enough" to take that away from him.

_

12. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

From what I am reading in this thread it would seem that everyone who scores a TD wants to get themselves on Sports Center's highlight reel.

My point is that they should not even bother because they are not going to top what TO did. When he put the Sharpie in his sock he knew he was going to score. It was almost like Babe Ruth calling his shot combined with Mark Gastineau's sack dance all rolled into one.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Hot dogging detracts from the game. I don't really understand why it's not an automatic unsportsmanlike conduct penalty and 15 yards on the next kick.

Seriously, what hot dogging is for is brand management by the players. Every time Holmes does his 1st down point and he does it *every* time he gets a 1st down regardless of score, he's further establishing his brand.

That kind of BS should be something that is done off the field not on it.

But if the NFL is going to allow hot dogging they should ease up on the restrictions. There's no reason that a team of kids shouldn't be there ready with a piece of cardboard to run into the endzone so the guy who just scored can breakdance on national TV.

Why does the NFL not allow players to take their helmets off after a play on the field but they do allow them to act like idiots in celebration? It's the same thing if you ask me. It's wildly inconsistent to allow one and not the other. And anybody arguing about the safety factor in taking the helmet off even after a play hasn't been watching some of the backflips the players do after scoring.

14. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

I believe it is a sign of immaturity. There's something to be said about making a great play, and walking back to the huddle like you expected to do it.

15. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

Lamont jordon , cutting down the goal post with his chain saw football. Classic.

16. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I have a problem with players over-celebrating a singular tackle or even a sack. The one I like the most is whoever used to just stand there, still, and put his hands on his hips. He's not celebrating!

But I have no problem with endzone celebrations. I think it should be allowed. I'm not talking about tauting, but back flips, chain saws, pillows, etc I have no problem with. They're entitled to a celebration IF IT'S A SCORE!

But not if you're strutting around, losing 24-7 any you've made a tackle and then anyone looking at this is saying, "WTF man! You're still losing. Knock it off"

17. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

That was the difference between Joe Klecko and Mark Gastineau, a perfect example of what you are talking about. Klecko would sack and then act like it was "business as usual" and walk back to the huddle.

Gastineau would "King Kong" his arms and pound his chest and make a fucking self-agrandizing fool of himself to the point where everyone watching would be like, "Okay man. We get it. Can we get on with the next play now?"

18. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Essentially, I inherently love all forms of exuberance and celebration. I look forward to obnoxious, over-the-top celebrations. (For example, my favorite thing about Santonio Holmes is his patented, ridiculously douchey, first down celebration . . . it's hilarious)

I think people who profess to derive great anger and disgust from player exuberance are just taking football (and probably themselves) WAY too seriously.

deal with it.

19. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I totally agree with this.

20. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Nah what's more impressive in my opinion was Joe Horn keeping a cell phone under the right EZ post for his TD! Not only did he call it, he potentially called which end of the field he was scoring on!! :rofl:

If it's within the rule and the NFL doesn't like it, they should create a rule to stop it. That's what they did with using the ball as a prop. That's why Braylon got 15 for getting in the DBs face and Dougieing on him. That's why you can't run to midfield at Dallas and stand at the center of the star to celebrate your TD.

I'm guessing this is what people mean by hotdogging:
    [​IMG]

I wouldn't mind that being ruled illegal, so the Patriots diving backwards and grabbing his crotch etc because that is showing up the opponent. But flipping into the end zone, flip as a celebration, dance as a celebration, a spike, a leap into the crowd, I want them to keep it