Your opinion on endzone hotdogging

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreenTay, Oct 20, 2013.

1. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

By the way, Antonio Allen also did a flip into the end zone on his pick 6 of Brady, so the stupidity and lack of class went both ways.

2. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

+1000, well said.

Classless idiots think it's awesome.

_

3. JStokes

Hated that too.

And I love Allen, but that was just stupid.

_

4. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Hate it slightly less then players celebrating a first down especially when their team is down by 20.

5. JStokes

Or Kyle Wilson waving his arms after the WR burned him but dropped the pass :grin:

_

6. JStokes

How about running over and hugging the guy that caused the turnover?

I don't think anyone is suggesting you can't show emotion, a spike, a chest bump, a legit show of emotion.

Hotdogging, doing the stupid ball drop, showing up an opponent, the premeditated idiocy that a-hole Chad Johnson used to do or what TO used to do is simply classless and quite frankly not needed. The game is enough.

It's not "awesome"' it's whatever the opposite of "awesome" is.

_

7. RevisXt

RevisXt Member

I normally don't mind it, but when a player on a team that is clearly losing does it...looks pretty dumb. I went to a jets bills game at metlife 3 years ago and stevie johnson scored a td and did the jet(run around with your arms extended). Jets were creaming them at that point. He looked like such a moron.

8. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

yep act like you've been there before. But more importantly act like you expect to be there again.

9. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I think TO running to midfield to stand on the Dallas Star is going over the top. But Chad Johnson doing the Hines Ward river dance, TO doing the Ray Lewis dance, Shonn Greene doing the LT flip, someone doing Cruz's salsa dance etc. I think that's all in fair. If you celebrate or have a signature celebrate, it should 100% be able to be used by the other team.

Now the Logan Ryan today or the slowing down I guess are closer to taunting since they were clearly directed at players, while the dances are in the EZ by themselves, not running to the sideline and salsa'ing in front of Cruz. I could see the problem with what Ryan did but the other celebrations that don't go and taunt an oppoenent in the face, I don't see the problem. Celebrations are a part of sports and they should stay in my opinion.

That was actually a close game and that was an important TD. Sanchez led us to a comeback that game I believe. Granted shooting yourself in the leg to mock Plax and then pretending to be a Jet and crashing is definitely over the top since he cost his team 15 yards after doing it

EDIT: I misread your post and I am talking about a different game

10. JStokes

This thread is not about celebrations, it's about hotdogging.

Hotdogging is classless and not needed in the NFL. Couldn't stand half the crap Chad Johnson did, was a total dirtbag from the cell phone to the sharpie to the HOF jacket (something he'll never have) to the name change, his whole shtick reeked of classlessness.

The ultimate doosh hotdog.

JMHO.

_

11. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

I have no idea where the line between hotdogging and celebrating is. Was Kerley TD dance hotdogging or celebrating? How about MoWilk's sack dance? As long as it's not taunting (directly aimed at another player), I'm fine with it.

A lot of grumpy old white guys in this thread.

12. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

It's one of the reasons I have a hard time watching football. Also, breast cancer awareness and the "pink". It's annoying.

13. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

The NFL is classless. How many times did we have to hear about poor old Adrian Peterson and the tragedy he suffered and how he was so heroic in coming back to play hours after his tragedy. The whole situation is demented and absurd. It's FUBAR.

14. displacedfan

What's the line though? I really can't tell the difference.

Joe Horn did the cell phone.
    TO did the sharpie.
    Chad Johnson did the HOF jacket on the sideline which I thought was okay and not hotdogging. When does it go from celebrating to hot dogging? Is Cumberland's dirty bird dance in ATL hotdogging?

I think if you don't cost your team a penalty and aren't doing it in an opponenet's face it's celebrating and not hotdogging, but people have different opinion on it.

EDIT: and as someone else mentioned, what about defensive celebrations after sacks and stuff?

15. wexy

wexy Member

Everyone is competing for the entertainment dollar. If everyone does it, its not even special.

16. harkin

harkin Member

Emotion is part of the game and a spike to me is pretty tame compared to what the celebrations have become. The greatest spike ever is Dwight Clark's ('the catch') because it's like it's part of the play, instantaneous.

The other stuff where a player has to go out of his way to put on a performance is IMO ridiculous.

17. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

As long as its not excessive i don't mind it. What I do hate is when anyone on any team celebrates when there teams getting smoked. I always find it funny when some jerkoff dance around meanwhile his teams down 35-10

18. JStokes

You are arguing with kids that think embarrassing your opponent is cool. You must be a grumpy old man.

I guess I must be as well. :grin:

_

19. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Yes, and it looked as though he could have hurt himself doing it, as he landed on his tailbone and bounced. I was concerned about it.

20. displacedfan

I guess I could see that, but celebrations include everything so I thought you meant everything.

It really is a case to case circumstance for me if I think a celebration is over the top or not. Some automatic over the tops for me are

1) You get a penalty for your team
    2) Dropping the ball as you cross the GL is just plain silly.
    3) You are down big or up big. Up big is more allowable, but still over the top because the game is decided.

Besdies that, case by case. Santonio Holmes first downs are over the top most of the time, but the type of run Geno had to get it or Kerley breaking two tackles, I'll allow it. I guess I'm just picky :grin: