The offensive pass interference call

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Greatful Jethead, Oct 20, 2013.

1. wherestheheart

wherestheheart New Member

The ref that made that call was behind the play so all he saw was the defending flying out of the way like he was shoved hard, but if the ref had a better view of the play he would of seen that the defender played it like a NBA player and a made little push off seem like the Rock was pushing him out of the way, good wide receivers get away with all time, Hill doesn't have that level of play yet where he can get away with it

2. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

It was the right call. I actually thought the DB had it picked off, was shocked that it ended up in Hill's hands.

At some point we have to stop being homers-I'm one of the biggest-that was clearly offensive pass interference.

_

3. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

great point..this site has gone homer crazy this year...out of control. You just have to shake your head and move. I dont even bother arguing back anymore.

Hey...I would be pissed for one reason only...what Hill did was done dozens of times today..dozens. And it was not called many times at all. That would piss me off

4. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

It was a poor call. Hill may have pushed very slightly but the DBs reaction was clearly exaggerated from the angle we saw on camera. If it was in fact the back judge who called it from behind the play I don't understand why he didn't confer with any of the other officials to confirm the call.

As others have pointed out, Gronk pushed off blatantly not long afterwards and got away with it - and I also noticed the no-calls on Richardson when he was mugged a couple of times. We may have won on a very flukey call but I felt like it was exactly the payback we deserved at that point.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yep, I winced at the call but the replay clearly showed Hill pushing McCourty and then McCourty milking it for all it was worth.

Hill does not have the reflexes of an NFL WR. He is a great world-class athlete but he's lost in space when he's competing against somebody for the ball. The long pass that McCourty made a great play on should have been a reception by Hill. He didn't put himself in position to compete for that ball. He was like a shadow receiver waiting for a ball that would never arrive without more active effort.

6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Missed in all this is the fact the Stephen 'Stone-Hands' Hill has been catching a lot of balls lately, some pretty tough catches too like today in the EZ. Can't hurt when our 'Megatron Lite' draft pic actually starts catching the rock.

How much better can Kerley be with Safties having to decide who to dbl team.

7. JStokes

Every close call against the Jets is bogus and/or mandated by Goodell, but the Jets NEVER get a call and most infractions against them are blatantly obvious yet don't get called.

It's stupid. Let's try to be adults here and TRY to be a bit objective, oterwisemthis place is going to become patsfans.com.

_

8. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

I replayed it a few times. To me it looked as if the Pats DB's momentum was carrying him to the right and Hill stopped to catch the ball and his left arm was extended on the DB. It looked slightly bad because Hill stopped to catch the ball and at the same time the DB's momentum was carrying him away so it looked like more of a push than it actually was. But the DB helped selling it by leaving his feet with his arms in the air like he just got butt raped.

9. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

He's been targeted 15 times in the past three weeks, and has 5 catches for 84 yards. a 33% catch rate is not good. He's got a ways to go before he can be considered a WR1.

10. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

The DB flopped but we can't blame the ref. He saw Hill's arm fully extended & the DB flying away. If Hill didn't extend his arm completely I don't think ref calls penalty there.

11. ILL-AL

ILL-AL Active Member

I thought we only had to worry about "flopping" in the NBA? SMH bs call

12. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Hill is a very raw talent. His big with a big wing span. If he extends his arms like that it's visible to everyone. Now you can argue the contact didn't re-route the defender but until Hill learns how to control his body and push off enough to create separation without fully extending he's going to get called for it most times.

He also blew an adjustment where if he slows down a little the CB runs into him and he gets a PI call.

The guy is raw he needs to learn the nuance of the position. I can't blame the ref when a 6'4' Wr with a long reach extends his arm's on the CB even if he isn't really doing it to create separation.

13. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

Just curious, but what constitutes an extended arm for pushing off? Does the elbow essentially have to be locked for it to be extended, or just extending while in contact with the opponent? I'll have to go back and look at it again, but the call made sense if its the latter, but was a bit of a tough call if it was the former.

With all that said, the penalties haven't been overly one sided this season, except possibly the week after Colon shoved a ref haha. No calls there you don't see made in other games around the league frequently enough. Consistency in calling seems to fluctuate in general throughout the league. I don't mind if two different games are called differently for what is PI etc., as long as it's called consistently within that game itself. That's all we can really ask for.

14. Angel

Angel Member

I doubt the ref makes that call if its the pats scoring a td instead of the jets, that is all.

15. JStokes

Yes, just like the field goal call.

Lol, can't make this stuff up.

_

16. JdotGriff

JdotGriff Well-Known Member

If Hill would learn to go up and catch with his hands instead of chest catching everything. The bs call would not have made a difference.

Does this kid even know he's 6"4

17. RunLeonRun

RunLeonRun Active Member

the DB knew he was gonna give up an INT so he flopped. i've seen way worse push offs on fades that aren't called. what are you gonna do? as long as we won I don't care.

18. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

If its Brandon Marshall, Megatron or any other "name" wide receiver that is a no call.

That being said Hill needs to get back to what he showed in college: stop, plant, jump off of two feet and go after the ball at its highest point.

19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I think david Stern just fined the Db for flopping

20. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

I assure you there is no such thing as European soccer