Secondary

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Barry the Baptist, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

That's what happens when you trade your best player and let a pro bowl safety sign with another team.

2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Coincidently, our most consistently skill player on offense is an undrafted FA TE.

3. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

I really don't think Cro has been healthy at all

4. legler82

Is that suppose to make us feel better about his awful play?

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Correct. Plus add a hyper-extended knee to this game.

And Milliner, who missed almost all of training camp (as a rookie) is light years behind...missing assignments, etc.

Don't talk to me about Revis/Landry...Revis ain't lighting it up in Tampon and Landry has been injured all season, and still is. If we gutted out Cap for Revis/Landry ($25M) our defense would be exactly where it is today.

Milliner will get the time to figure out enough to be productive in the 2nd half.

Cromartie and Milliner will both benefit greatly from the bye week to get way more healthy.

Wilson will move back inside.

Our D-Line will continue to be the best in the NFL.

All's good.

6. legler82

I really rather see Walls and Milliner starting going forward. At least, if/when Milliner gets burnt it can be a learning experience. There is no silver lining with Cro continuously getting burnt.

7. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Cromartie has been bad all year. It isnt like this game is an aberration. This guy is so overrated its not even funny. There is a reason why the Jets are ranked last in passes defended. None of these guys can cover anyone and make a play on the ball. Vincent Jackson torched him, Nate Washington beat him for a long TD, Julio Jones burnt him all game long, and now Antonion Brown made him his bitch today. Rex needs to stop putting him 1 on 1 with his receiver because its obvious he needs some serious help.

8. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

Needs to be revamped. EVERYONE.

9. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

The Secondary is the weakness of the defense but the offense (and, in particular, the turnovers) has been the deciding factor in all three losses.

10. smittyf350

smittyf350 Member

What's Cromaties cap hit if we let him go after the season?

11. Nilton

Nilton Active Member

14.98 to keep.
    5.4m in dead money 9.5m in cap savings if cut

12. smittyf350

smittyf350 Member

Well lets hope Milliner can stay healthy and put together a solid rest of the season, cause Cromartie is not worth keeping around at that price.

13. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

I think our secondary is made to look worse than they are because Rex insists on asking them to do things that they are not capable of. We are simply no longer good enough to play the lockdown man coverage Rex wants them to so he can do all his aggressive blitzes. So they are forced to give themselves a cushion to not get beat deep, and we get eaten alive by underneath passing. I honestly think our personnel no longer really fits his defense. Our front 4 is very very strong especially against the run but we cannot cover a three-toed sloth in the secondary. I actually believe we would be a better defense in a 4-3 defense that emphasized zone and focused on turnovers than the super aggressive knock out punch defense Rex wants to run.

14. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

Richardson is more valuable long term than Revis, and Landry hasnt played in 5 games, and will never be worth his contract. What was your point?

15. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

You hit the nail on the head, both Cowher and Simms mentioned this issue during the game, Phil went on to say that Rex puts his CB's in bad situations when he does not give them safety help.

Honestly it's what he has been doing for quite some time now, that's why the Jets consistently give up big yardage on 3rd down and longs, his blitz approach works against the lesser talented Qbs in the league but it does not work against the better QBs.

I would not be shocked if the Jets went 1-2 in the next 3 games as they play 2 of the best Qbs in the game.

16. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Against the Pats, Saints, and Bengals, I don't expect to win any of them, so I'd sign up for 1-2 right now.

17. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I must have missed that we had $26m in cap space to make that happen

18. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Landry is horrible, clueless, always out of position...Cro was schooling him on the sidelines for hanging him out to dry with no deep help, every deep pass he got sucked in, every run he is too deep

19. Intoddwetrust

Intoddwetrust New Member

To anyone who watched Cro Last year and then this year. Its obvious the guy is playing through a sore hip or something that is keeping him less then 100%. Miliner was to start on other side and has missed much time with the hamstring injury. Though it would help us to get him back and get experience I agree on the decision to be cautious with this injury.
    We knew the secondary at best was in transition and had to learn to survive without Revis. Miliner has excelled at every level- all american high school, every year in college and he will be a good player for us, I have no doubt. As far as Walls this guy is a find, he is getting better and better and hopefully can be part of the rebuilding of this unit as we continue to add pieces.

20. BookEndTackles 72&79

The annoying part about the secondary is every year Rex goes heavy on DB's and specifically corners when filling out the roster but the only real decent depth find/marginal starter through the years has been Walls.

Walls- People need to lay off him a bit. He has decent size and has held up decently in man coverage. He's in decent position but just hasn't made the play a few of those times. Might be a bit unlucky and some of those 50-50 balls will start to turn his way. He's been close and he is a keeper going forward.

Wilson- Just what he is at this point. He can only be trusted on 3rd and 4th recievers and even then he'll have his share of struggles.

Trufant/Lankster- Kept around primarily for special teams but they really don't belong on an NFL roster. Trufant is just too small and all he seems to do is run around in circles as I never see him near anyone. Lankster has stuck around here a long time and for what reason I really don't know.

Cro- I've barely seen him jam anyone all year and he is constantly grabbing and tugging on the jersey of a receiver. Not sure why he doesn't jam anymore. He has also regressed badly technique wise. The new secondary coach needs to pick up on this and help get him corrected. His straight line speed doesn't seem effected but his ability to turn, plant and cut might be effected by the hip injury he is trying to play through so I can understand that to a degree but it's no excuse for horrible technique.

Miliner- Would love to see what he's got but can't get on the field.

Jarrett- Can fly around the field but has no clue of the technique and nuances of the game. I'd rather see him out there just in case he accidentally is in the right spot because he can make the play.

Allen- Simply no ball/coverage skills and he's not a great tackler either which you better be if you lack the former. Several times he has been easily fooled by a ball carrier who makes one simple move/fake and he misses the tackle.

Landry - He's the best we got so gotta hope he stays healthy all year or this crew of safeties is in deep trouble.

Bush/Rontez Miles - Bush has hardly played so I don't know and Miles is on the practice squad. Curious to know what skill set Miles brings.

After the bye they don't play any real high powered aerial attacks or QB's and you can probably hide the secondary a bit but in these next 3 games you will probably see them exposed badly. That Saints game is gonna be real scary with this group back there.