Current Status of This Team

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Oct 8, 2013.

1. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

Huge difference, Brandon Marshall actually had a body of work that warranted that kind of compensation.

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Which is why we shouldn't give up anything more than a 3rd rounder for Gordon.

3. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

I think it will take two more years of clearing cap, drafting the right players and signing free agents to get this team back into the deep playoffs. And certainly Geno Smith is the key that turns the wheels. If Rex leaves, who knows how long it will take.

4. Barcs

Barcs Banned

crap, wrong thread!

5. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

That kid was right

6. socaljetfan

socaljetfan Active Member

I wish the post count rules were changed, I've been around a while but I'm usually just browsing. Obviously we were expected to be awful this year and saw a dramatic drop in our primetime games. Now I don't really like having primetime games because under Ryan we've tended to play our worst ball under the lights but I feel like if we are in the hunt come Week 11 its very likely we get a game or two flexed in for SNF. What do you guys think? Our team is good enough for playoffs and apparently the organization thinks so too. If Geno can play like this when Holmes is back...whoa.

7. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Agreed, I'd love to get him for a 3rd. If the Browns GM is being honest with himself they likely don't win another road game this year and their only easy game is against Jacksonville. This is a 3-2 team that could easily wind up 4-12 or if lucky 6-10. Their early success won't last. Losses this week and next could help lessen their demand and make Gordon available at the right price.

8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. I don't know if I am keen on trading picks away for WR. We don't even know if we will get the extra 3rd from Bucs yet. With jokes like Schiano at helm, I wouldn't be surprised if Bucs pulled a bush league move to sit Revis during the final stretch of the games, saving their 3rd round pick.

2. Jets still need starter quality players at several positions, including both G positions, both S, 1x OLB and 1x TE to name a few. And quality depth all across the board, starting from the secondary. Jets may be doing okay now, but this upcoming draft is for laying the foundation, not to cherry pick the few offensive skill players. If they are the BPA picks, then I have no qualms about it - if not, Jets would do really well to keep on laying the foundations.

9. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

I am fine either way. Gordon is a big risk - but otherwise he wouldn't be available.

The argument that we aren't making the playoffs so there is no need for going after him is bunk. If you're a believer - you get him now because:

1. he's available now.
    2. it will accelerate geno's development
    3. regardless of playoffs - it's more time that gordon is building chemistry/being integrated into our system.

10. GreenDore

GreenDore New Member

One game at a time

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets get a conditional pick next year depending on Revis status.

If Revis is on the Bucs roster as of the 4th day of the league year the Jets get a 3rd round pick.

If not they get a 4th round pick.

I don't think Darrelle Revis playing time or performance this season factors in in any way.

In the event the Bucs released Revis between now and the 4th day of the league year and then miraculously re-signed him shortly thereafter I'm guessing the Jets would file a collusion charge with the league against the Bucs and Revis arguing that the two parties had colluded to deprive the Jets of the Bucs 3rd round pick, giving them the 4th instead.

I'm pretty sure the Jets would win that case and probably additional picks from the Bucs in the process. I don't think Revis would suffer any negative outcome but it's not completely clear that is the case.

12. South J-E-T

South J-E-T Member

I agree with everything except #4. We are the only team in the NFL without a top 10 QB, RB, WR or TE. We need more offensive weapons to get deep in the playoffs and to the Super Bowl. We are going in the right direction, but next year's 1st and 2nd rd draft picks need to be offensive skill players.

13. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

i hope you are right, but didn't the Saints pull that with Vilma?
    They cut him, with both parties knowing they'd re-sign him, which de-valued their trade compensation to us to 1 round later.
    I thought that was utter BS at the time, and hope the Bucs can't pull something like that as well.
    The Bucs 3rd rounder stands to be in the 65 - 70 overall pick.

14. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

meh that would suck if they did that sort of stuff

15. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Idzik has done a fine job but screwed up a bit with Revis trade. He should have demanded the Bucs 2014 First Rounder instead of their 2013 one. Even if the pick turned out to be a bit lower, he would have had more talent to choose from in the upcoming draft.

Jets need help at skill positions (including TE) and a head coach that can instill some discipline. No sugarcoating it: Rex is a much better DC than HC.

16. NewYorkEveryThing

If we can linger around enough for geno to get his reps in ? You never know what can happen? Being 5-0 does not mean anything right now and all it takes is to get hot at the right time(Giants) and you can get in and make noise.

17. I hate Revis

I hate Revis Member

Sorry guys but Geno is not and will not be an elite QB. Didn't see it in certain games in college and is a terrible bad weather QB. If you jump on me, go ahead but I said the same thing 4 years ago about Sanchez and look what he is today. When you see special talents like Luck or Wilson you see the talent. I watched Griffin in college and you see the talent. Wilson would of been a top 5 pick if it wasn't for his size.

18. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

19. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

No chance Geno makes it in the NFL, he doesn't have the tools or mind to do it. It's why they've dumbed this offense down to essentially a high school playbook to try and limit the damage Geno does.

20. IBLEEDGREEN17

IBLEEDGREEN17 Well-Known Member

according to?