NYPost: Woody will not commit to Rex for next season...yet

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Organized Chaos, Oct 9, 2013.

1. TutanKhaman

TutanKhaman Member

If Ryan gets an extension he should be grateful for Geno for not being a bust as many people predicted. Every time Geno have a great performance us Jets fan should then be grateful to idiot Nawrocki.

2. Mitch_Dumstein

PFW was a viable football print newspaper for 30 years... Then Joel Buchsbaum died and f-ing ignoramus Nolan Nawricki took over and pretty much drove PFW into the dumper

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There's a huge amount of pressure to differentiate at this point and sell. Unfortunately Nawrocki picked a bad way to do that.

He's not a bad evaluator of talent in general but his last few years have been distasteful to put it mildly. Even if he believed the things he wrote about Cam Newton and Geno among others there are ways to write that in code that don't look so much like overt racism.

PFW is in the hands of the Arkush clan, BTW. No idea how they're doing on the business end but they definitely miss Buchsbaum.

One other important thing about PFW. They relied on their inside sources a lot to get information that both the casual and dedicated fan found interesting. The internet has basically destroyed that market because no secrets get kept until the end of the print cycle where they can be dispensed for profit. Now every big story is out there 48 hours or less after it emerges and the print media is just screwed to hell in a hand basket trying to keep up with that reality.

Either PFW and the other sports media outfits adapt to that reality in a hurry or they are going out of business. SI, the big honcho in the field, is having issues adapting. Expecting smaller niche publications to survive is optimistic to put it lightly.

#43 Br4d, Oct 10, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  4. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I remember seeing posts, I believe after the Bills game, with people saying to extend Rex now. After the Falcons win, at least now that sentiment makes sense.

That said, unless you think Rex is going to leave (he won't), then it's fine letting the season play out and see what happens.

And you're absolutely right about PFW, Br4dw4y. Twitter and the internet destroyed them.

5. Gator

Gator Active Member

You're probably one of those guys that proclaimed Rex gone.....now you can't go back even though its plain as day Rex is a good football coach.

6. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

I wanted Rex gone at the end of last year, and I stand by that to this day. I am happy with what he has been able to get out of this team so far this season, but being a Jets fan as long as I have has shown me that these good situations can go south real fast. I want to see how the rest of this season goes before I can throw my support back behind Rex. The undisciplined play of the last couple of seasons is still plaguing this team, even though they played a damn good game Monday night. I want to see far less penalties consistently, not just over the course of a single game. And consistent play from this young team too. A lot of guys who post on this board are all in for the Jets after a win, and want everyone fired the day after a loss. I want this season to play out before I make any decisions on this one. There are far too many late season collapses in my memory for anything else....

7. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

The record should not solely determine Rex's fate. How the team gets there, while considering injuries and other extraneous issues, should be the determining factors.

The reality is that if you want to have a solid D pretty much every year, Rex Ryan can give that to you. He's not going to give you a high flying offense.

There are HCs who don't coach either side of the ball, but there are tons who call the O or the D. I don't know what those coaches who specialize in one side foof the ball do to be more prominent than the guy who coaches the other side of the ball, other than have a better job title. They are the face, they deal with the media...they make final decisions on team issues, and probably player conduct.

We don't know how good Rex is at all that other stuff...I guess he's OK with the media stuff but most of what coaches say to reporters is bullshit and lip service, so I doubt Woody cares much about that.

My point is that if the D plays well, the team doesn't stink, and Rex is doing the extra stuff well, he should be the coach. If he starts to get lazy, lose the team, get blown out, etc then you look at other options. But in the NFL, constant changes at the top are rarely productive....consistency rules...and the Jets need some consistency.

#47 Jtuds, Oct 11, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

It's not like they have to extend him yet although I hope they will, he is still under contract for next year anyway. I know all the lame duck crap but that is overblown.

9. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

The Jets have beaten three teams who are a combined 3-11 and Rex is once again a genius. The Jets are also the least disciplined team in the NFL, averaging ten penalties a game. If Tanny was still around, he would give Rex a ten year extension as of yesterday and make him the highest paid coach in league history.

10. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Rex has taken this young team and has us competing week in and week out

sure there are things that aren't going well like penalties, defensive lapses late and questionable challenges but no team is perfect

We're on the rise and keeping the best offense/defense combo we've had since hiring Rex is the way to keep it going

Idzik is acquiring talent, managing the cap and becoming a true figure head for this team

The Jets are finally on the right path and you wanna kill that, GET THE FUCK OUT

11. Mr. Green Pants

For what it's worth, Adam Schefter just reported that Idzik and Rex have gotten along better than many people expected, and Rex's return in 2014 is "possible".

12. Br4d

I think the Bucs and Falcons both suffered a lot from having the Jets, with their strong defense, on the schedule.

The Bucs season probably goes a completely different direction if they're facing an opponent that they can actually steamroller on opening day instead of the Jets who seemed much worse but probably were just as good or better going into that game.

The Falcons put up 363 yards of total offense against the Jets and could not beat them. That really killed their season. The Jets were their chance to get healthy and they didn't play all that badly and they still lost.

I think the Jets 3-2 is legitimate at this point. It's certainly a bit lucky, but luck is part of the competition.

13. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Schefter knows all

if Idzik fires Rex and Rex doesn't deserve it then I'll be pissed

14. Br4d

Just as a check on the overall speculation: the odds that John Idzik is going to be the only guy making the call on Rex are low. Idzik is a consensus kind of guy. He really believes that the strongest decisions come out of group think in which nobody's opinion is left out or allowed to overwhelm the debate.

I suspect that Rex's fate really comes down to December. If the Jets are looking flat again and disappoint in December he's probably going to get fired. If they are playing at or above expectations in that month he's probably going to get an extension.

15. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

no way they fire Rex with a 8-8 season even 7-9 i think Rex keeps his job

16. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

This depends, if the team is 7-2 and they lose their last 7, Rex is gone.

17. Br4d

If the team is 8-5 and lose their last 3 he's probably gone.

December is a really important month for Rex this year. The Jets are 4-6 in December the last two seasons and lost their last 3 each season. A performance that looks anything like that is really going to hurt Rex's chances to stay on.

On the other hand the Jets could be 4-7 going into December and win 4 out of 5 at the end with everything looking like it is jelling and he stays.

The key question the Jets probably have about Rex right now is whether he is a great head coach or just a great defensive coach. Having the team stay motivated through the cold month for the first time in 3 seasons would really help them make that determination.

18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Here, here. My sentiments exactly. At the beginning of the season everyone gave the Jets at least two more losses, one to Tampa and for sure to Atlanta. Now they turn their tunes to the new record of 3-11. Such a farce.

Idzick does not need a new coach, he has one of the best already. He can focus on the other matters that are far more important, like bringing young talent and unraveling the cap mess.

I think most people that want Rex gone are not looking at the rest of the league. See the Giants, Atlanta, Washington, the Stealers, even NE to mention a few. Have those coaches lost control of the team. No they haven't. But when your talent on the field is missing or faltering, shit like that will happen. Rex has done remarkably well with the talent he was provided.

Some of the people here want to give all the blame to Rex for every mistake on both sides of the ball, but reluctantly credit him only for the defense, nothing else. Such crap.

19. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Schefter tweeted something about a source telling him that the arrow is pointing up for Rex, regarding staying with the Jets.

20. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

that blanket statement ignores all types of realities of why you should fire Rex even if he finishes 8-8 or 7-9.

this game is a perfect example. chance to go 4-2 and possible be in first place, and if he loses to a winless team at home to drop to 3-3 (with the Pats and Saints, and a 3-5 record on the horizon) and this game likely becomes the downfall of Rex.

and he would deserve it based on this game.

this game is the game the Jets and Rex have to win. if he can't beat a winless team at home, then even I have a hard time defending him at that point.