OK..How about this: The secondary sucks

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jaywayne12, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

The Jets MAY need to make a few adjustments for the corners. A lot of posters expected Walls to come in and dominate because he made a few good plays in sparse time but he's still green out there. This group is going to take time to gel because playing CB in a Rex Ryan system is one of the hardest things to do because most the time, there's no over the top help to save you.

I still think Millner has the best chance to step up and become the #2 because I feel he's equally adept at playing in space and has the speed to play with most corners. He's just not ready because a lot of missed time.

Walls does a great job at using the sideline as his help which why I feel he plays outside pretty well and seemingly knows a bit more of the situation of what route a WR will run...like today he had a INT but tripped over the Titan WR...but he read that route perfectly and reacted very well from his backpedal.

Wilson on the other hand he's the opposite...I don't think he plays the CB the way Rex needs him well...and either he plays slot more because he's better in space or he needs to be used in a role where he can roam...I feel he's better when he's just reacting and not thinking.

Cro, I just think he's not being aggressive right now...hip injury or not, he's playing a bit off and that one play where he gave up that long TD, he was either half assing the play or isn't healthy...but that was inexcusable.

This unit has potential...it's going to take time for it to gel between the 3-4 guys that will get PT.

2. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

that's what happens when you trade the best corner and defensive player in the league.

3. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Yeah, you know the Jets passing D is only ranked 10th in the league and still #1 in opponent completion percentage. Yeah, let's cut them all, the secondary is TERRIBLE.

4. Intoddwetrust

Intoddwetrust New Member

hey sometimes there are cases where recievers just happen to make plays. Walls had two plays yesterday where he blanketed the Reciever and the guy still came down with the ball. It happens. Walls is newbie- I am more watching to see if he is sticking with his man, getting his head around etc.. he did all these things. There are times recievers just happen to make great plays.

5. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

I am more dissapointed in AC more then anyone is the secondary. What happen to him? he was awesome last year. He looks slow and dis interested yesterday. Big ass smile and laughing leaving the field. I mean, he's the only decent cover guy we have. The rest of them suck big time.

6. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Cromartie has not been playing well so far this season.

I think we are honestly just so use to stellar play from our secondary that we arent use to seeing bombs down the field caught and run in for TD's.

I don't think the secondary play overall has been that bad compared to the rest of the league. They have a bunch of average players back there who are playing average. Sometimes teams are gonna hit them for big plays, sometimes they're not. Welcome to life without Revis with Cromartie not playing well.

7. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Listen..big win and trying to stay positive but this part of the game might kill this team in the long run.

I mean..even cromartie seems like he should get a pass interference on every single pass his way.

This is the only part of the team that is a true weakness...and its a big one...very big. They make no plays whatsoever.

With that said....no...no way would I want Revis on this team. I would take Richardson and his pressure any day of the week because even if Revis is in this game...Ryan would have found other spots all day long. Plus I love the money we will have to spend after this season without him.

The important thing to remember is there is enough pressure on the qb for this defense to be very good with a decent secondary...this secondary is not close to decent.

8. addage

addage New Member

Another SOJF. So sorry we won. Better luck next week.

9. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

As you said, a great front 7 / pass rush combined with great coaching will mask a lot of the deficiencies that the team does have, including the secondary. The fact that Wilson is out there regularly and hasn't had many major meltdowns says volumes about the job the coaching staff is doing with these guys.

10. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

I'm ok with the play from the corners in general. Kyle Wilson is obviously a huge disappointment but he's not worse than a somewhat below average corner. I wanted to see Walls show something after getting torched on a few near misses last week and he did. Yeah 3 dropped picks but everybody knows what you call a CB that can catch. For 4 straight weeks he has been shadowing receivers very closely and not letting them make the catch for 3 of those weeks. It's very impressive for somebody that came out of nowhere and he should only get better as time goes on. Cro is feast or famine like he always has been but he's still one of the better corners in the league.

If you watch most teams in the league CB's get torched all of the time and Milliner should still become a key component moving forward. That said, the safeties are basically a bunch of bums and we desperately need a ballhawking FS to shore up this defense next year either in the draft or FA. Overall I'd say the secondary is probably around average for the league with good potential looking ahead with a good addition or two at safety.

11. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

I agree to an extent. But we can't compare what we had with two shutdown corners. Tonight, Rex decided to play prevent D when we were up by 13. It's not so much on the defense per se. They gotta play the plays that get called in. Rex needs to keep the pressure on.

We really just need to get turnovers. That's what's gonna keep this defense fresh.

12. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Wow You can't even wait an hour and enjoy the best win we've had in 3 years. Atlanta has one of the best air attacks in the league and we only started giving up yards because of that prevent bullshit. Cro was man to man with Julio all game and the only big catch he gave up was an amazing one handed grab. Walls stepped up big time to show that he can hold his own and be the starter, now we can ease Milly in. through 5 weeks we have the number one D in the league. This is like calling out the world's strongest deadlifter because his bench press isn't the best too. F off dude.

13. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

First thing we need to do this offseason is draft a safety.

14. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Agree totally. Landry made no break on the ball on that TD.

15. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

the front 7 isnt good. the front 3 or front 4 are. our linebackers outside of couples are trash as well.

our back 6 or 7 cant defend the pass.

16. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

atlanta is a 1-4 team with injuries all over their offensive line, missing the starting runningback and basically missing roddy white as well.

they put up 28(31 if they kick the FG) on us, went 4 of 5 in the redzone

id hardly call this a great defensive effort

17. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

WTF? Demario Davis has been beasting all season, he's even competent for an LB in pass pro. LB's aren't supposed to be good against the pass, only the elite ones can really hold their own in the long run. Harris has also bounced back from a down year or two to become a run stuffing terror which is all he really needs to be. Pace is trash, yes. We need one all around OLB that can get after the QB and not be totally lost in pass protection to replace Pace next year, yes. But that's really a luxury at this point, Davis has stepped up enough that I'd say safety is a bigger need.

Look at it this way, add one top tier FS to the roster and you wouldn't even notice that 2 of the LB's can't cover at all because they wouldn't need to in most situations.

18. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

The corners are solid, hopefully Milliner can get his shit together at some point. The safety position need to be replaced. LaRon is solid but nothing special and Allen is a good tackler but seems to be lost in coverage. If we had the unit we had last year with Dawan and Bell shit would be real good right now.

19. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

Not the secondary.. It's Landry.. He is a disgrace. He's as bad as Eric smith was. No idea how we can't upgrade the position.

20. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I thought Walls played better this week, which is encouraging. As for Atlanta's comeback, you have to give credit to Matt Ryan, and of course also some great catches by Gonzalez - those pass catching TE's remain a problem this year for this D. Wilson didn't commit any penalties, I think, but he seemed out of position here and there, and certainly didn't make any plays. One incompletion to his man was the receiver just didn't make a play on the ball.

This secondary is certainly not playing as well as if Revis were still here, and Milliner's absence is not helping. But look at Atlanta's secondary - the Jets have a much better one.

Cro I think had a mostly good game against one of the top receivers in the league. That one handed catch by Jones was awesome for him.

The safeties? Not so great. And this is the weakest unit on the D. But imo they're still at worst average as a whole.