The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. lightning

lightning Active Member

Geno already shows one of the most important attributes for any QB especially a rookie, and that is a little thing called short-term memory loss. This and the fact that the boy can flick his wrist and throw the ball effortlessly are very encouraging sights for any jets fan.

2. Sloup

Sloup Active Member

Mentally tough. Quarterbacks who mope in the face of adversity hurt the whole team's spirit, but it doesn't look like Geno will do that. He celebrates touchdowns and big plays, but otherwise stoically goes about his business. I hope it stays that way long into the future.

3. north06

north06 New Member

Please rip away. There is plenty there for you to do so I am not sure why you are struggling with "where to start!". It was clearly written not to be taken too seriously. I love criticism as it makes me better! Go Jets...

4. strngplyr

strngplyr Well-Known Member

Recent player safety rules are also doing an awful lot towards helping passing yardage lately. You're not allowed to play the same defense today that you could in 2007, 2007 couldn't play the same defense you could play in 2001, etc.

My point was that you can't compare anyones stats to someone 10 years ago. Too many rule changes or additions/enforcements.

Points and yards make people excited, excited fans make more money for the NFL. 5 years from now you won't even be allowed contact within 5 yards of the LOS and press coverage will be banned because a star receiver will bitch about a good DB rerouting him all game. Sacks will be outlawed because quarterbacks are too good for the NFL, anything more than a 4 man rush will cause a flag to be thrown. Pro bowl rules will be enforced in every game.

5. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. We win the Titans game with average QB play. We win the last BUF game most likely too (pick 6). We take the SD game because we probably aren't starting McElroy if Sanchez has only throw one INT. Now would this mean the Jets overachieved with the talent they had sure, but there were some really dumb and terrible mistakes made by Sanchez not talent related that held us back in games.

And to circle it, that's why so many people here were confident Peter King and etc were wrong for predicting 3 wins or less and etc. Because with how terrible our offense was last year, primarily the QB position, we snuck out 6 wins because of defense. THere were a ton of question marks going into the season, but Rex's defense will give you a shot.

This comes back to how Geno playing. Geno played a terrible game in NE and everyone acknowledged it. Geno played ok in his first game against TB, promising but not great. He played well in this Buffalo showing growth already in 3 games, but still showing he's getting accustomed to NFL. It's not necessarily the winning that trumps Geno's turnovers, it's the improvement so far in 3 games and that he's a rookie. If Geno was in his 4th year and we were getting this, the calls for Matt Simms would be much louder, even with the wins. It's tougher to replace a QB when you win with him even if he's making it difficult, but it is possible to make the change, you just better be sure it's the right move as a coach.

6. north06

north06 New Member

Why the Jets will win 10 games

My prediction is that the Jets will win 10 games this year: I really never bought into the ridiculous notion that they were the worst team in the NFL. How do you determine that anyway. Because they have a rookie QB?: well Dan Marino went to the Super Bowl his rookie year. Because they have a coach who is unconventional?: well, that same coach went to the AFC championship game two years in row. Because they don't have any receivers?: hmmmm, well, it seems to me that when you have over 500 yards of total offense including over 300 in the passing game, that you have ability. And the Jets have always had a good defense under Ryan. Go Jets: 10-6 and they make the playoffs!!!

7. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I noticed that this last game. Every time they showed the camera on his face, he was straight as an arrow. Never smiled, never pouted, just straight business. I like this kid a lot. I hope he becomes one hell of a quarterback. Not just because he's part of this family, but because I like his moral character. Composed and just a straight student of the game. Not to mention all the negativity the media brought out on him before the season. I hope he shuts the entire media up and just balls

8. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Well i meant to open the Geno stat thread, instead i got the all things Geno thread. Jesus fucking christ this shit is getting truly pathetic. Oh no! 2 Geno threads merge merge merge! Fucking bull shit. Let it go already. I understand every thread being made into a Sanchez vs Geno thread is out of hand clearly, but when threads clearly have a separate purpose, there is ZERO need to merge them. Nobody wants to sort thru pages, and pages of mostly whining posts, to try finding something new, and specific, for actual information learning purposes. This is out of hand. The board always ran perfectly fine pre Nazi like insane merging days, no reason to change it now. It's especially annoying when your only internet source is a phone. You might as well just give up looking for what you want you read. That's what I'm doing now. So thanks mods.

9. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Instead of merging every thread, why not just ban the idiots that ruin every thread, and make too many? That makes much more sense. I'm done, hope i don't get banned now, for saying what needs to be said.

#3549 NYJalltheway, Sep 25, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  10. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

I merged it and I really didn't want to, but you know why?

Because I stated it before, every thread that turns into another Sanchez vs Geno BS thread will get merged. PERIOD.

Maybe I come across as an ass saying that but the mods agree that we aren't going to have a bunch of Geno or Sanchez threads that are saying the same shit over and over again.

I liked the last thread but of course what does it turn into?
    Exactly.

How many times do the Mods have to chime in and say "stay on topic" or give warnings?
    Then it continues and people get banned... Is it really that difficult to stay on topic?

Bottom line is this, If new threads on Geno or Sanchez (that haven't been discussed before) can't stay on topic, they get merged.

ftr, is it really that hard to go to the last page of a thread?
    Here is a tip for you, Click on "user CP" and when you click on the thread, it goes to the 1st Unread post!

11. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I really didn't want this merged. The whole point was for me to go every week and provide the stats of all the quarterbacks including Geno to see where he is at compared to them. How am I supposed to do that when it is merged into another thread?

I'm not trying to be a dick here, but this completely destroys the whole point of what my thread was intended for. To have a place where people can go see what his stats look like at any point in time

12. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

Thanks for this. I've been comparing 7's stats vs Luck each week so far but you took this to the next level. What I think we'll see is that for the whole season Luck's accuracy and turnover ratio never improve. Despite his massive hype he was not an accurate passer as a rook. It will be interesting to see if Geno can improve his.

13. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

I agree the Geno vs Sanchez stuff is tiresome, but could we just delete the Geno vs Sanchez replies, or move just those replies? The policy as it stands means any troll can turn a post from something about Geno Smith into a Geno versus Sanchez thread and get it merged.

It's nice to have separate threads on Geno (if they're meaningful topics, like the stats thread was) instead of lumping everything into a 170 page mega-thread.

14. lamont_jordan_rules

hope you're right & they do.

just fyi no big deal - it was marino's 2nd year though

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/history/recap/sbxix

15. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I liked O'Brien but I'm still kind of bummed we didn't select Marino. Damn that Don Shula floating those cocaine rumors!

Saw him play at Syracuse, the guy was phenominal in college and IMHO the greatest pure passer in the NFL.

_

16. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

The Geno stat thread shouldn't have been merged. I don't even think there should be one big ass Geno thread either but it is what it is.

17. murksauce

murksauce Member

I guess unless you are announced the starting QB for the Jets instead of on a weekly basis, then you can get separate threads.

18. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

We agree on something here, O'Brien if he had not been taken before Marino would have been a lot more highly regarded for his career. I mean the guy was no slouch, though he really needed to throw the ball away more to save his body..but at least he wasn't turning the ball over.

19. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

He was a great Jet. Loved him.

But Marino was--again IMHO--the greatest passer ever. And an incredible competitor.

_

20. lamont_jordan_rules

thankfully Marino won the same amount of championships as O'Brien ;)