Sanchez possibilities

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by section134, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Think of it this way. If Sanchez starts late in the season he will be less banged up. Sanchez has taken a beating the last couple years, and by late season he's looking worse and worse. I don't think there's anyway he stays on the roster past this season unless he somehow gets back in late season and lights it up.

2. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

There are 3 options:

1. Ask him to take a lower salary to be a back-up to either Geno or whomever we draft (if Geno does not work out) or pick up next year. Matt Moore has set the back-up rate at $4million a year. Arguably Moore is a much much better QB than Sanchez but I would assume Sanchez would want something in the same neighborhood.

2. Cut him There are handful of teams where Sanchez is good enough to compete for the number 2. His best case scenario is to sign with a contender who has an established QB like Denver or Seattle and hope he can make the team and sit for 2-3 years and learn. But with the loaded 2014 QB draft class spots will be very limited next year for veteran QBs. But if we go into next year with only Geno and Simms we may want a veteran as the 3 in case Simms is not ready to handle the 2. I just don't see them wanting him in the locker room after they have found their QB.

3. Jets cut Sanchez Sanchez signs elsewhere and gets cut in camp and the Jets bring him in at the min salary as the number 3. Unlikely they would want him as a 3 or anytime would as thats generally a spot for a developing QB.

Trading him might have been an option if a contending team lost their QB and he was still healthy. But that is not an option now as he will not be eligible to come off IR until after the trade deadline. There is no way they can trade him this off-season as there is no team he would even remotely have a chance to compete for the starting job with the loaded 2014 QB draft class. The time to trade him was in 2011-2012 offseason when there was a split in the FO on whether to dump Sanchez. That is when Shefter said he believed the Jets could get a 1 for Sanchez in a trade then later amended that to possibly a 2.

#22 Noam, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Has anybody considered the human sacrifice at halftime of the Raiders game option? To try to reverse the Namath Guarantee Curse?

We could have an Aztec priest pluck his still beating heart from his body and take a bite out of it in front of a full house at Met Life. If they advertised it ahead of time we'd definitely get the full house.

4. ILL-AL

ILL-AL Active Member

Simms is the back up. If Geno is awful we get a high pick and go into the draft looking for our next franchise QB. Either way Sanchez is out of here.

5. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I like the idea but the problem is most likely Sanchez would fumble his heart and it would be recovered by the Raiders.

6. Josh86m

Josh86m Member

LOL Sign Sanchez for several years! LOL I can't get enough of that one!

7. Josh86m

Josh86m Member

Sanchez is like the girlfriend you try to get your buddy away from that he can't let go of. She keeps pissing in his mouth and he keeps coming back for more.

8. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Having a good OC and the WCO cured Alex Smith why can't it cure Sanchez?
    Note how eerily similar their per game played stats are through their first 4 seasons with Sanchez having the ever so slight edge in all but one category.

CMP%
    Smith 54.55%
    Sanchez 54.9%

YDS/GP
    Smith 220
    Sanchez 257

AVG YDS/PASS
    Smith 5.725
    Sanchez 5.725

TDs/GP
    Smith 1.15625
    Sanchez 1.44681

Turnovers/GP
    Smith 1.193615
    Sanchez 1.140295

QB RAT AVG
    Smith 63.575
    Sanchez RAT 71.7

9. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

There is no scenario where the Jets should sign Mark for "several years" and no scenario where not signing him puts us in "trouble big time". Jets will make some attempt next spring to trade him, and when that is not successful release him before June 1. Nothing else will happen.

10. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

Sanchez has averaged 192 yards per game. Not sure where you got that stat. Stats do not show everything. Smith is nothing like Sanchez and significantly more athletic.

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I think the most likely scenario is Mark returning as Geno's #2 for the rest of the season, then getting released in March.

12. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

Why do some of you enjoy mediocrity?

13. legler82

You are right about the yards per game and stats not showing everything. However, I disagree that they are nothing alike. Besides the similar stats, they have several similarities. Both were top 5 picks, who stunk it up in their first 4 seasons and whose respective fans and pundits considered unsalvageable going into their 5th seasons in the NFL. Also, I don't really understand the importance of Smith's athleticism in the context of the present argument which was that Sanchez's inaccuracy and overall poor play was incurable.

14. legler82

Assuming this comment is in reference to the Smith Sanchez comparison, why does the hunt for the "franchise" QB, have to be paired with losing? I don't enjoy mediocrity but enjoy more than losing. The chase for that ever elusive franchise QB can go on simultaneously as we try to win every game possible. They are mutually exclusive.

15. legler82

What many fail to realize on this board is that Geno was not a top 10 pick or even a first round pick. Despite what the TV, radio, paper pundits and/or the uncontrollable Sanchez hate in some of your hearts might lead you to believe, we will not be throwing away this season so that "Geno can take his lumps" and/or "that can see what we have in him". Especially not when Rex's job is supposedly on the line. Geno must play well to keep his job. He was not some big investment that we must see through. No one in the organization is tied to him; not even Idzik who drafted him. History tells us that second round pick QBs are not awarded the same opportunities their first round counterparts. The only thing that is sometimes given to QB not drafted high in the first round is a fair shot at the QB1 spot which Geno was granted. To keep that spot he needs to play well. Some succeed (see Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick) others fail (see John Beck, Kellen Clemens, Tavaris Jackson...etc..). Make no mistakes about it, if he is not play well when Sanchez is back and we still have a shot at making the playoffs, Rex will not think twice about making the switch. And if Sanchez stinks it up, someone else will play.

16. Gotham Green

Gotham Green Active Member

You do know Al Davis is no longer with us, right? I'll be very happy if your prediction comes true, but I don't think there's much chance. Why pay a 1st and a 3rd for somebody you know is going to be cut?

17. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

It could be the case, however it is very rare that QB's change their spots after 4 years as starters. But remember in Smiths first 4 years he only started a total of 40 games, as opposed to Sanchez who started 62 games. When Smith struggled the 49ers benched him, repeatedly.

For every Smith who struggles with accuracy there are 30 or more than never put it together. Betting on Sanchez turning it around is about the same as betting everything you have at a roulette wheel and putting it on 00. yeah you could hit it, but the odds are very much against it.

18. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Sanchez still believes he won the starting job. If and when he's told to hold a clipboard, my expectation is that we see a different Sanchez, and probably rightly so.
    This organisation has given him opportunities but has also taken the piss out of him.

The last thing we need is another malcontent in the locker room

19. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Sanchez isn't going to cause trouble. For one thing, he's a pro; for another he doesn't need 'bad teammate' stories coming out when he's looking for work in March.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4

20. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

There are some aspects I agree with, but Sanchez will find work in the NFL if he leaves us.
    There are a few teams that are now looking that they will be making changes soon. My guess is that if Geno plays well, Sanchez is gone by week 6. If not the end of the season, and if that happens then yeah I would expect Sanchez to keep his yap shut.
    I think MS is a classy player/person/team-mate but he also wants to play and if he isn't, then this is what leads me to think his attitude may change, privately and in the locker room.