Gates Has One More Game

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Do we really need a replacement for Harris after this year? He's 29, he's got at least few seasons left in him. This draft is supposed to be deep for QBs and WRs, I'd be surprised if he went defense the first 3 rounds. Of course it has more to do with our success and what we see in Geno, but I could easily see us going QB - WR - OL with the first 3. If Geno lights it up or shows promise before the season ends, I could justify getting an OLB or safety instead of QB. I just can't justify drafting 3 top defensive players when our defense is already top 5 and our offense is ranked near the bottom. This could easily change as the year goes on, but unless our offense shows major promise, we will be drafting offense early. The team needs balance. It doesn't matter how much your D dominates, if the offense can't score you can't win. Also if Milliner comes around and can grasp the D before the season ends, there's a chance we move Wilson to FS. We need offense MUCH MUCH MUCH more than defense.

#81 Barcs, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  2. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

I like Rex also. But really look at what's going on. Idzik is not about anything this season but getting geno reps and starting where he wants next year. Things get fucked up in that plan if the jets go 8/8. He's not looking to increase the chances of that.

3. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Yea it's not a 5 th year coaches job to draft players. Did you miss the draft this year?Your fooling yourself if u actually buy into that nonsense

4. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

People don't realize if you put a new head coach with the current product it's a 3 win team but Rex will scheme his way on defense to 9-7

5. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

it was his first real action getting a ton of snaps and looks. give the kid a friggin break. fact he gets open is encouraging. stephen hill has dropped 10X more passes and f'd up way more and doesnt get that kind of treatment.

i love how the same board that says mark sanchez needs "some time and another chance" after 4 seasons cant give gates/milliner/smith even 1/4 of a season

6. jerseyjay14

Harris is awful and 1 dimensional. we needed a replacement the day he was drafted.

7. laxin

laxin Active Member

Yeah, but the point is that our skill positions on offense are much more awful than Harris is... Plus, I think its significantly easier to find a solid MLB than it is to find quality talent on offense.

8. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Harris is not "awful", hes more than serviceable and has proven to be very durable. Now, in correlation to his contract he may be overpaid. But he is not awful as you suggest. If you want to see awful linebackers watch tape on Chad Cascadden.

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

These two posts in succession are pretty funny.

10. Pereiro16

Pereiro16 Member

Have you ever worn receiver gloves? Rain is not an excuse

11. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Harris is the least of our problems. He knows Rex's D well and calls the signals for them and is responsible for adjustments on the fly. He's a beast in run stopping and while he isn't the best in coverage, he's more crucial to our defense than most people realize. Saying he's awful is a bit silly. He's not that great in coverage, but he's a tackling machine. It's not a big issue, though because we have Demario Davis for coverage.

#91 Barcs, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  12. abyzmul

Harris is a good mike, and I think he will be gone after a couple of years. It's been documented that he is a quiet guy and I'm not sure how well that translates as a signal caller.

But he is a beast in run support, that is not debatable. He is a total liability when TEs and RBs run at him and cut, because he has no burst speed to keep up with them and makes no effort to cut the angle off. Bad field awareness in the passing game.

He is overpaid, and that is the fault of Tanny.

He'd probably make a great ted linebacker, but not with the contract he has.

#92 abyzmul, Sep 20, 2013
    Charlie Kelly likes this.
  13. jerseyjay14

Harris isnt a good anything. he has been a bottom 5 NFL linebacker his entire career. He would be a decent depth guy or 1 down player, but he is no NFL starter, and like sanchez will soon be out of football. he is one of the biggest busts in team history.

few jet players ive ever hated more.

14. abyzmul

Do you know anything about football?

It seems that you don't.

Yeah, Sanchez is out, very bold prediction.

Harris is the best run protecting LB we have had since Mo Lewis.

I feel like I am talking to a bot now. You really don't know shit.

15. Sorry.This just couldn't be more off base. Do you know what being a good linebacker is all about? It doesn't seem like that's the case.

Harris is a very good downhill linebacker especially in run support. He has decent change of direction & gets adequate drops while in pass coverage.

As already stated by others he is slightly stiff & doesn't do well w/ cutting ball carriers when isolated & can be a liability when matched up against athletic types.

That said, he's been extremely productive & a lead by example type both on & off the field for this team since he came into the league.

"Bottom 5 linebacker" is just a laughable statement

16. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I've been saying it for awhile. He grades out horribly as a run stopper. Bart Scott made him look a lot better then he actually was. His only real value is actually in pass coverage where he isn't horrible.

With that said though he actually has played well so far this year.

#96 kevmvp, Sep 20, 2013
  17. Barcs

Barcs Banned

If by pass coverage you mean jumping up and tipping the ball near the line, yeah he does that from time to time, but he's the last guy I wanna see covering the likes of Gronkowski or other decent TEs, that's for sure. I remember him getting burned badly on a TD last year by a fullback if I'm not mistaken. His strength is definitely in the middle and you can't really grade the guy based on stats. If the defense generally gets off the field quickly, he won't have all that many tackles, PDs, or sacks.

18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

"Bottom 5 linebacker" being said about David Harris is one of the top 3 dumbest things I've ever read here, and there have been some pretttttty dumb things said here.

19. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Very few linebackers can guard tight ends like Gronk. That's why those guys are very difficult to stop.

I don't think he's good in pass coverage, just said he isn't horrible. He does a decent job in zone coverage or up around the line like you said. He does a good job getting after the QB when he is asked to as well.

I judge him based on how productive he is on plays he is out on the field, and when it comes to playing the run he isnt that good.

He struggles to get off blocks. Scott did all the heavy lifting in the run game. He cleared blockers out of the way and Harris made tackles. I just hope Davis can do the same for him.

Also, for the record, I wouldnt be so down on Harris if he didn't eat up so much salary cap space.

#99 kevmvp, Sep 20, 2013
  20. 74

74 Well-Known Member

so yea gates sucks