Advice for my first ever Jets game!

Discussion in 'Jets Experience' started by Chelseacheam, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Chelseacheam

Chelseacheam New Member

Hi all,
    I'm coming to my first ever Jets game in October and can hardly contain my excitement! The game will be on my first anniversary (wife not happy, but can't odds the timing!), but couldn't miss it after supporting the Jets for nearly 30 years now!
    We are from the UK and just wanted to know what usually happens before games? Does anyone go to pubs or bars before the game or is drinking not the order of the day?
    Any tips would be greatly appreciated and we are staying in Manhattan.

2. Vanbiesbrouck

Vanbiesbrouck Active Member

Unlike the UK for (English) Football games, there is no (real) culture of hitting pubs before the game for NFL. This is because NFL stadiums are generally in the suburbs in a giant parking lot, with no pubs nearby. People from England used to come out on the bus to soccer games and be stunned that there was no pub within a 30 minute walk of the old stadium (still the case in the new stadium).

So, the general plan for an American at an NFL gams is to drive your car, get there 3 to (ahem) 9 hours early and just tailgate with beer & a cooler.

Only, at MetLife stadium, parking is limited, and expensive. From NYC, without renting a car, your best bet is to hit a bar in NYC (recommend Football Factory on 33rd, you can watch EPL before you go out, ha), and then take the train out. You can bring (disposable) supplies with you, and just drink in the lot & throw your gear out when you go into the game. You can buy beer inside the stadium, but note, it's friggin' expensive.

Good luck, bro.

Also, fyi, there's a Chelsea fan group in NYC called the Chelsea Blues, some of whom may be Jets fans as well, but you can meet up w/ them on a Saturday & watch EPL if your missus is ok with that. Every 90 feet in NYC is an Irish bar, and they all show EPL games on weekend mornings.

If you want to hit a soccer game while you're here, you can watch the NY Red Bulls play (20 minute train ride from NYC), in case you want to boo Thierry Henry one last time before he retires. There you can hit a pub pre-game & walk to the stadium.

#2 Vanbiesbrouck, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  3. Aalborg Jet

Aalborg Jet New Member

My wife and I have been travelling from Denmark the last two years to see a Jets game.
    The experience is very far from what you see before and during European football matches. Much greater, I think :)

You should take the train from Penn Station and arrive at MetLife as early as possible. Then join Tailgate Joe (just google him) and you will have a great time with many Jets fans and lots of food and beer.

And donĀ“t worry, your wife will love it too.

4. Chelseacheam

Chelseacheam New Member

Thanks for the info guys, that's a great help. I may look up Joe then. Funnily enough, Tailgaiting in England is a nuisance driver who drives very close up to the car in front, when going fast on the motorway!

Lets go JETS!!!

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Heh, that's also the more common meaning of the word in the US.

Enjoy your first game!

6. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

very jealous - I still need to get across some day - was really hoping the Jets were going to play Wembley this year but no joy - hope you both enjoy the trip (and the Jets don't spoil it for you!)

7. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I have seen some speculation that if the Vikings play in London again in 2014, which is quite possible with their stadium situation, that it could well be either the Jets or Patsies. All of which means nothing really, but here's hoping.

8. Chelseacheam

Chelseacheam New Member

I believe that the Jags have signed a four year deal to play in London.

9. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

London is slated for 2 games a year - one Jags home game, one for someone else. The assumption being made is that the Vikes will want to go again next year while their new stadium is being built.

10. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

They should just move the team to London, change their name to the London Royals, and lose their ugly ugly uniforms. Then after a few years, when the NFL starts catching on more in the UK, maybe we could have the Cardiff Dragons and the Edinburgh Bruces.

Fun Fact- last year, in Edinburgh, a Dolphins fan from Scotland who started good-naturedly ribbing me about Mark Sanchez being awful.

11. TailgateJoe

TailgateJoe New Member

We get plenty of Europeans every year who swing by our tailgate, you are welcome to join us. Here is a vido from week 1 this year:

[YOUTUBE]aN0BHGKvef8[/YOUTUBE]

12. Chelseacheam

Chelseacheam New Member

Hey guys,

Went to the game v the Steelers and had a great day, even though the Jets lost. Went to TailgateJoes party beforehand (Joe will post on your site) and the whole tailgate experience was a real eye opener!

Couple of observations: Couldn't believe how expensive things were, including $10 for a beer and the team shirts starting at $110! Plus side, great view, even though we were second row from the back at the very top level and the stadium was great, fully furnished with escalators!

There was some good banter going around, which never got totally out of hand and I was really surprised that there were so many Steelers fans there.

Can't wait to come back as soon as I'm in NY again.

J.E.T.S, Jets, Jets, Jets, Jets!

13. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

This is it

You are part of the Jet fraternity now. Come back again. :)