2013 Week 3- Buffalo Bills @ New York Jets Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by macbk, Sep 13, 2013.

1. microscopes

microscopes Member

#241 microscopes, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  2. microscopes

microscopes Member

lol I remember you from the Bills forum. Not here.

There's no doubt that Sanchez is better than anyone the Bills have had the past 10 years.

But that doesn't mean Sanchez is good.

That just means the Bills QB's have sucked worse than Sanchez has. And that's saying something.

I think its funny you're still campaigning that Sanchez is good. That's hilarious.

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I agree on QB pressures but pass rushers are judged on how they get to the QB. Mario is talked about like he is Watt but Houston now sees what a dynamic pass rusher looks like.

Injuries are part of the game and you meant 2011. Great he had 5 sacks in 5 games, in 2010 he had 5 sacks through 5 games- ended up w/ 8.5, In 2008 he had 6 through 5 games, ended up w/ 12.

Good pass rusher, not a dynamic pass rusher and let's not forget he is a LDE going up against RTs.

He was good, the proof was in the play. he sucked last year w/o a doubt but we had the worst offensive talent in the league(healthy talent).

4. BrucekilledBoomer

BrucekilledBoomer Active Member

That's the thing with Mario,he's always hurt. He played through a painful shoulder injury in 2009. In 2010 he tried playing through a sports hernia all season and was eventually placed on IR in December. In 2011 he tore a pectoral muscle. Last season he had the wrist injury/surgery. This season he's battling plantar fasciitis. If it's not one thing it's another.

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I agree with Junc, Mario is good not great. I even feel confident in saying this after a 4.5 sack game. He's no Watt like Junc says, but I don't think he's a Freeney or an Abraham or even an Osi for a brief period of time.

He doesn't show up in big moments, gets the majority of his sacks in one or two games, and isn't what you think of when you think of an "impact" pass rusher. Although he looked good sunday - it was classic Mario Williams, one huge game, sink back into oblivion for 3-5 weeks, then another huge game, etc.

Austin Howard of all people made him his bitch last season. He will probably do so again Sunday.

6. microscopes

microscopes Member

You're right. Mario is and never has been a player who gets a lot of sacks.

But he IS a player who gets a lot of QB pressures.

And those are almost as important as sacks.

You said that Mario is not a great pass rusher. I completely disagree. He IS a great pass rusher. He isn't a great sacker.

7. Barcs

Barcs Banned

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...er-kerley-eyes-return-bills-article-1.1460422

Good news. Kerley passed the tests and will be ready for the Bills this Sunday.

Coples is still limited and up in the air. Chances are he'll return against the Titans, but who knows.

8. RutgersJET

RutgersJET Member

I think I saw an interview where Rex said it wouldn't be out of the question if he returned on a limited basis this week. Coples is currently practicing, so that's an encouraging sign.

9. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

To the first part of your post, regarding his few great games a year, I think that has generally been correct over the course of his career, but it really hasn't been that way in Buffalo so far. After the torn ligaments in his wrist last year were repaired through surgery, he was very consistent throughout the later 75% of the season. He's also been consistent again these first few games this year. He was asked in an interview the other day about what has been the cause of this, and he stated that he finally just feels "at peace" with his life outside of football for the first time in a long while. I'm not going to say the days of his "huge game, then gone for 3 weeks" are over, I'm going to see how this season goes, but I'm curious to see if that will be the case moving forward. We'll see.

And in the second point you made about Austin Howard, Mario tore the ligaments in his wrist the week before that game but played anyway. He effectively only could use one arm the first quarter of a season (imagine the impact of losing one of your hands at a position where it is vitally important). He had bad games against some bad tackles because of the injury. Once he had surgery around whatever week our bye week was, he really came on and was pretty consistent the rest of the year. I'd think Mario is licking his chops thinking about Austin Howard on Sunday. However, he'll probably never see a one on one matchup with Howard. I dont think the Jets are that stupid.

10. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

Opposed to what, kicker?

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

He will probably cry about an injury or dirty play again after Howard, a walk on scrub, embarrasses him again this Sunday.

This is football, everyone plays through pain. If he couldn't play - he should've sat down.. that's better than crying about it in the postgame.

Could you see Reggie White crying about his hand or hands to the face penalties after being taken to the woodshed by a fringe NFL player just signed off the freaking practice squad?
    HELL NO, because the guy was a winner. Mario Williams is a loser.

If I'm Howard, I'd pop him right in the face 1st play sunday. "Welcome back bitch"

This about the time in the season where he starts his crying anyway.. the month-long stretch of invisibility where he contemplates committing suicide again.

12. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

You must be a joy to hang out with.

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Not sure about the party part, but every word he said was 100% correct.

14. Bills_AFC_East

Bills_AFC_East New Member

Most of the issues with Mario are there because when he played for Houston the overall team was terrible, and so far in Buffalo the team has been bad. The defenses also have been bad. He never really played in a good defensive scheme either.

He has all the numbers when healthy, but no team success yet. Without team success you are open for criticism.

#254 Bills_AFC_East, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  15. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Houston was not terrible, they were expected to be a playoff team for 3-4 years before they actually made it. They underachieved in large part b/c "star" players like Mario underachieved.

He has all the tools to be a dynamic pass rusher, I expected a rough 1st year w/ him getting better(he's in his prime now) but I don't view him as a Watt/Ware type of pass rusher though he is a good one.

16. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Yeah mario has always been good but he's very overrated. Definitely not worth his contract. Theres a reason Houston was fine with letting him go.

He had a great game last game though so he's still someone you have to plan for.

17. tcw722

tcw722 Member

Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz 3m
    Oday Aboushi injured his knee in practice today. Rex does not say how bad. #nyj

18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Mario or no Mario, this game needs to show some significant offensive scoring. Our OL, QB, WR and RBs, not to mention the TEs needs to come together and play as a unit and make plays and control time of possession.

It's one thing to loose a hard fought game, it's another to kind of piss it away like we did in NE

19. tcw722

tcw722 Member

Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz 3m
    Cromartie said he's basically been playing on one hip in first 2 games but now feels close to 100 percent.

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Copout. Cromartie is the dumbest player on the team.

Stupid people defended him when Revis was out. Big timer. The fucking guy has the brain of a golden retriever.

He did somewhat well during a season where Revis watched film with him.

Revis is gone.

Cro is a tard again.

Total coincidence.

Must be the "hip". Too bad there is no coverage of that injury.

Know Football!!!

#260 abyzmul, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013