Browns trade Richardson to Colts for Colts 2014 #1 pick

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by allan1, Sep 18, 2013.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

No way. Jets just gave up a 4th for Ivory. If they gave up a 1st on a RB, the fanbase would go nuts.

2. laxin

laxin Active Member

For a 2nd round pick yes. We will probably have a top 10 pick, so probably not the 1st.

3. 34miami23

34miami23 Active Member

Blockbuster for sure ... Interesting to note that in 17 career games, TRich has only 2 runs over 20 yards

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Don't know what to make of the move by the Browns. It's a really good move by the Colts but on the Browns end it's just not clear what's going on.

Traded up for a 1st in 2012 to take Richardson. Traded him away for a much lower pick a year later. The math says the organization just lost out big time even if the current FO gained a bit.

5. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

because at this point it is clear that they will need to trade up and get him and won't be the worst team in the league.

where the hell is that rolls eyes emoticon?

6. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I'm absolutely stunned. I think the Brown's FO is just trying to make a statement. They're fanbase is gonna go nuts.

I wouldn't give up a first for Richardson, but a second no doubt.

7. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Remember when we traded a 2nd rounder for Thomas Jones

8. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Trent is excellent, the Colts must feel they can win it all right now. Its a gutsy move, sounds like a tannenbaum type of move.

Its suprising that a Colts franchise which was in such a swift transition is going to roll the dice and take such a risky move

9. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Id be pissed if im a Browns fan to, this guy has potential, he might not have fit Norv's system but its still uncalled for.

10. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I guess they want to lose as many games as possible to get Johnny Manziel or Bridgewater

11. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Bridgewater for sure, but the Browns are a mess now. Both first draft picks they took 2 years ago are not even going to be starting/on the team. Weedens going to be on the bench, Richardson gone. I think the past GM was the one who drafted them, so the new GM is blowing it up completely.

12. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

I like this trade for both teams

For the Colts:
    They get a RB with a very high ceiling who will run behind a line that's better than Clevelands, and have an above avg QB where opposing defenses won't stack the lines against him. Also, they get him after the first year of his rookie contract (which is front loaded) making him an easier salary cap #. PLUS, the Colts are a decent enough team where they won't be picking in the top 15, so they're essentially trading a mid to late 1st rounder for him.

For the Browns:
    They're clearly going all in for a QB in '14 loading up on picks. They'll probably land a top 5 pick regardless even with T-Rich cause they don't have enough talent. Obviously with this trade though it looks like the Browns have initiated their millionth fire sale since coming back into the league.

Gotta feel for Browns fans on this one.

13. Br4d

Trent Richardson to the Colts is the most young RB talent moving in a deal since Marshall Faulk moved from the Colts to the Rams in 1999.

It may not work out that way because Faulk joined Kurt Warner in St Louis but it has the potential with Luck sitting in Indy.

14. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

You think the Browns were shopping him during the offseason and NOBODY heard about it ?

Teams would easily offer a 1st and 3rd for TRich during the offseason, and hell that would have been a bargain for them

(remember the Browns traded up to #3 for him just a year before)

Clearly something weird is up here for them to wait till the season

15. Br4d

We swapped positions in the 2nd round to get Jones. That was an ok deal.

16. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I wouldn't go nuts if I know the guy is good and he is young at 23, so it isn't even like the Thomas Jones deal because Jones was already in his late 20s when we gave up a 2 for him, the last time we had a good run game we were one drive away from a super bowl

17. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

imo trent will be a better player in indy and i dont think browns can get a good running back as trent in this draft from the physical point. So a hole for a pick kinda bad deal when you got so many holes and not all their drafts gonna be stars

18. Br4d

After thinking about it I don't like the deal for the Browns. You want cheap star caliber talent in the NFL. The Browns just gave up one of those guys for a maybe next year. Unless T-Rich is hurt it doesn't make sense and if he is hurt he won't pass the physical.

The Browns are one of the 3 or 4 worst franchises of the last 20 years and this deal just looks like more of the same.

If Richardson sucks then I could see it but he doesn't suck, he just hasn't hit his full potential yet. He's a good RB, a good receiver and a decent pass blocker. What more do you want in a building block in the NFL?

19. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Fair points. I like the trade a little better for the Colts, but I do see some pluses for the Browns. At the end of the day though, Cleveland is probably picking in the top 5, with or without T-Rich, so why not hold onto him and build around him with a better QB and WRs in next years draft? You can certainly make that argument.

20. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

The Browns are loading up for Bridgewater.

Time to tank the season.

They're even starting Hoyer over Campbell.

It would be pretty funny if the Browns won in spite of this.