The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

He threw 3 ints in the 4th quarter while we were only down by 3. I hope he never does that again.

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Tapatalk 2

2. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I'm all over the place

I'm just not willing to settle at QB

but back to Geno

like I said he made some good throws but he will not throw the slant, at all

he also tends to favor the stationary receiver or wide open receiver/check down

he has to see an opening and put the ball there so his receiver can make a play

also stop under throwing guys

3. Spiedie Gonzales

Obviously the 3 ints were backbreakers. It's not like he hasn't had plenty of mistakes, he has. Still, at this point in time, I can live with it. I don't want to, but I can.

4. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

Backbreackers is not the word for it, we were in position to tie the game with a field goal and the Pats were doing nothing on offense. We should be running the ball a lot more so we can limit these kind of mistakes and not ask Geno to do too much.

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Tapatalk 2

5. Spiedie Gonzales

I couldn't agree more re: running the football, especially since I thought Ivory looked good. Which is somewhat my point, asking a rookie QB to run the West Coast with receivers who can't catch on a rainy night is why although I don't like the ints, I'm not going to get too worried over it.

6. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I am nor saying Geno does deserve some slack but he played terrible against the Patriots drops or no drops. He missed wide open receivers bailed out of the pocket way to early on several occasions and he bails backwards does not step up.

Holding on to the ball to long is typical rookie what is covered in college is open in the NFL. The playbook has been made simple for one or two reads then run.

Geno made a nice throw to Holmes but no other passes stood out. We scored two touchdowns in two games Geno has to play better and fast for us to win. Oh and the PATS defense sucks.

So far Geno looks like a raw rookie.

7. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

This is what I have seen from most people. Three things that I like from reading this.

1. He is a throw first run second QB (run first throw second QBs never succeed)
    2. Some of the arm strength issues seem to be mechanically related. He shows great strength on some throws but no strength on others. I think that this could be something that would improve over time.
    3. Holding the ball in the pocket for too long seems as if it is a product of him not playing during the preseason.

8. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

While I can agree w/#'s 1&2
    #3 Could also be him just not knowing the plays/reads ...while this may be attributed to pre-seasons snaps truth is, you don't learn everything in preseason and it may take months sometimes years to get 100% acclimated w/a system.

9. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Considering the circumstances, Geno did well these past two games. Marty did not put him in a position to suceed throwing the ball down 3 in the rain. It didn't help that everyone magically forgot how to catch. I have a feeling Geno will start to ignore Hill and Gates soon.

That being said, he has to do what he did last week against Tampa and run the ball if nothing is there. He's fast enough to get around 5-6 yards a carry. Marty also has to realize that down three in Pats territory, you run the ball until you can't do it anymore

10. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

He also needs to work out the turnovers , but i think he will manage to get us a 3-2 assuming he loses to atlanta.

11. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

If I had a dollar for every amazing college QB that flopped in the pros I would be rich. He has yet to throw a solid completed deep ball in two games. The only reason he didn't have 4 INTs against NE is because Hill bailed him out on a wounded duck deep ball.

I hope he just lacks a feel for the speed of the game and his receivers because he wasn't even close last week.

12. cval

cval Well-Known Member

There are two dynamics going on this season. One is your developing a young QB take your lumps and see what happens ala Sanchez '09. The problem with that is that Rex is a 5th year coach on the supposed hot seat and if the rook keeps costing us games I think he will be replaced.

The problem is normally when you replace a rook you put in a solid Vet. We do not have that we have Simms (that has never started an NFL game) and Brady Quinn who has proven that he sucks.

Lets hope Geno figures it out because our defense look really good so far.

13. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Unfortunately the majority of the WRs never knew how to catch in the 1st place

:sad:

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

When he sets his feet he shows excellent arm strength, when he doesn't he throws with much less authority and accuracy. He's either going to get this down or he won't. If he doesn't learn to get set before he throws he's going to have a tenth of the career he might otherwise have had.

This is probably a function of playing in a new offense at a level above the one he excelled in. The lack of snaps in the preseason is probably part of the issue but he was going to have an adjustment period no matter what.

As soon as the action went live that adjustment period began and he has maybe a half a season to get things down. If he's going to be good we'll be seeing that by the bye or so. He won't necessarily be going full speed by that point but he won't be making the same mistakes he made early in the season and his overall play will look positive by that point.

One huge factor is the skill players around him. If somebody other than Winslow doesn't step up and start making plays it's going to be a long season for the offense and the rookie QB. Right now the Jets skill players on offense make the Cleveland Browns of a few years ago look like world beaters. Winslow was the one bright spot there too and it didn't matter.

#3234 Br4d, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I'm about fed up with all the throws behind receivers.

That is something that Simms seemed to be a bit better at...hitting guys in stride so they can make some yards.

16. bucknasty

bucknasty Member

Matt Simms sucks right now get over it.

17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the insight and the advice.

I don't know what came over me.

18. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

If Smith throws 3 INTs in the Bills game, I hope he does it in the 1st qtr this time so maybe we will get Simms in at half time.

19. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

if he tosses another 3 INTs and managed 13 pts or less they have to look at Quinn or Simms. You just can't play that poorly even as a rookie and keep your job. Milliner got pulled for his play and is the #9 pick -- Geno should be treated the same way given how critical his position is.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Peyton Manning threw 3 Int's in his 1st NFL start and the Colts lost 24-15 to the Fins. He threw 3 Int's in his 2nd start and the Colts lost 29-6 to the Patriots. He threw 2 Int's in his 3rd start and the Colts lost 44-6 to the Jets.

Now if the Colts had taken your advice they'd have benched him at that point for his backup, only they didn't have a backup QB on the roster. Jim Mora burned his boats on the beach before the season began and kept only Peyton Manning on the roster.

So what did Peyton do with this resounding vote of confidence?

He threw 3 Int's in his 4th game and the Colts lost to the Saints 19-13.

I think the Jets should just take Matt Simms and Brady Quinn out back of the barn and shoot them. Burning them would be cruel and unusual.