Mountain Biking / Trails

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Royal Tee, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

I'm about to pull the trigger on either a Hardtail or Full S 29'er.

I used to be an avid biker back in the day for years in both dirtbikes then mountain. Now mind you, I was in NYC so our trails were dodging cabbies in Manhattan...lol

But now that I'm in NJ I found some nice trails out here and with the flats have been so itching to get back into bike shape...

aorn, I'm about 90% on a diamondback and 20% on a Cannondale... neither because of the names but after doing research and comparisons, these are the 2 that are the most for the money in my budget...

Anyone doing any trails or flats? Commute?

2. Royal Tee

All you outdoor whores an no one goes biking?

smdh... :sad:

3. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

I have a friend who was out riding his bike one day. He does not remember how he woke up two days later in the hospital with a broken neck.

I sold my bike. Swim or run instead.

4. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

I go biking but road only... :)

5. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

I've been mountain biking for 20+ years and ride a full suspension Gary Fisher Sugar III. Mostly on mountain single track and dirt roads in Idaho. I've taken some bike trips with buddies to Moab (overrated) and Bend, OR (incredible).

I've heard great things about the 29ers - that it's a more plush ride and that climbing is easier with the larger wheels. I have several friends who love them.

6. Royal Tee

I will be doing both :)

-Sharks eat people
    -Bad for your knees

Fishers are a little out of my budget right now...in the future maybe.

But Yea, that's the rep of a 29'er which is why I'm sold on one.
    I'd really love a Full suspension but honestly, the one I want is about $1000 more but the components aren't as rich as the HT.

I figure get the HT now, get back in riding shape over the next year and then sell it and get the FS.

I really wanna do a few trails but need to get my wind/legs back. I was always a long distance rider more than a terrain-er .. Thx for chiming in too! :beer:

7. gopats88

gopats88 Member

I do some trail riding and downhill in MA and NH. Both of my bikes are FS 26ers. If you really want a FS 29er, this looks like a good deal:

http://www.jensonusa.com/All-Mountain-Trail-Mountain-Bikes/GT-Bikes-Sensor-9R-Elite-Bike-2013

It definitely has some cheaper,entry-level components but those can be upgraded over time.

Another brand you might want to consider is Airborne. I've never ridden any of their bikes, but I've heard good things about their quality. They are a lesser known company because they only sell online direct-to-consumer, but they are supposedly made in the same factories as some well known brands, and are generally outfitted with decent quality components. The drawback, of course, is that you won't get the local service/support that you might get from a Diamondback or Cannondale dealer (if you even have one of those nearby).

They have a FS 29er with mostly mid-level components for $1750.

http://www.airbornebicycles.com/products/123-hobgoblin.aspx

If you plan on doing mostly mild-terrained XC riding with a focus on distance rather than technicality, then my advice would be to skip the full-suspension and just buy a hardtail. The rear suspension takes a lot of efficiency out of your pedaling, and with bigger wheels you can pretty easily roll over most bumpy stuff anyway.

8. dBLitzer28

dBLitzer28 Active Member

I'm mostly road doing longer distances but I do some trail riding as well. I used to have a full suspension for downhills but got rid of it since I don't often do it. I use a Gary Fisher hard tail for my trail rides.

Cunningham Park here in Queens have good trails for all levels - and is my go to spot. I haven't tried any other trails because i'm more of a roadie.

9. Royal Tee

I saw that very airborne off a recommendation on the Mtbr forum. That bike looks sick! and from my understanding it actually has a very good reputation.

Wow, Cunningham park, I know it since I lived in Briarwood for 6 years :wink:

How do yo u feel about a HT on trail. Is there ever a time where you just wish you had a FS?

10. dBLitzer28

dBLitzer28 Active Member

Its a give and take. I dont miss it climbing but I do miss it during downhills

11. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I used to back in the day.....albeit "mountain biking" on a FL barrier island is a very relative term. :wink:

It was more like big wooded dunes. We had some pretty fun trails though as they were narrow, and winding, basically paths cut through the palmettos brush and cypress trees. I've gotten pretty F-ed up doing it too

It was a fun workout during the flat surf season (summer), but it was hot, and you wanted someone else to lead to take out the big Banana Spider webs.... like Indianna Jones:eek:hmy:

Unfortunately the two areas we used to ride are now gated residential communities "Anastasia Dunes" and "Whispering Woods" :shit: