The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

First rating is a horrible stat...second only 2 teams have played 2 games thus far. Prior to this weeks game his rating was over 80....but still the passer rating is a horrible stat even in a statistician's eyes.

2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Gotcha!!!!

3. 1968jetsfan

Pro-style offense, stronger more accurate arm.

4. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

because he's the next big thing!!!

the next big thing is always better than the current disappointment!

and the current disappointment is only such because they were once the next big thing and couldn't live up to unrealistic pie in the sky expectations!

has that guy even declared that he'll be in the draft? He's still a junior, he could stay another year if he wishes, and so many NFL fans will be pissed...

5. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

How many NFL QB's have played 2 games? How many QB's are rookies. How many QB's were part of a QB competition and didn't get the majority of reps in TC or exhibition games with the first unit?

To me he has to show improvement on the mental aspects of the game while showing the physical tools over a season to be an NFL QB who has to be reckoned with.

By the way how many rookie QB's had 3 off days to prepare for the Pats on the road in bad weather?

6. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Geno will get to plat until the bye week. I don't know if he is 1-8 he will be done for the season. If he goes 1-8 and Sanchez is capable of playing Rex might just say screw it I am not going out with a 1-15 season when I need to find a job.

7. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

And yet every year the top rated QBs are a who's who of elite names like Rodgers, Manning, Brady.....(and in the playoffs Flacco)

While the bottom third every year feature the likes of Sanchez, Gabbert, Henne, Cassel, etc.....

Coincidence? A smart org would not rest on their laurels with a QB with as many red flags as Geno. But Idzik hasn't proven to be very smart so far.

8. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

If Geno is going to be successful he has to use his legs. If he keeps trying to thread the needle esp on the run bad things are going to happen. I just hope that Lee goes over this with him time and again in practice. Run with the ball even if you only get a yard or two and have to punt. Or throw it away. But if he runs like he did against TB there will be more first downs. And fewer picks.

9. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

I haven't read thru the entirety of all the posts in this thread, but these two posters, IMO, make the best points about what to take away from last night's game. I'll take typical rookie mistakes over shitty QB with no potential play any day. Again, game 2, like Jet said, he had limited reps. And also limited prep.

10. Spike_D

Spike_D Active Member

I was all for letting Sanchez start this season, to see where it went, and to see if Marty's offense would bring out his best.

But after seeing Gino for two games, to me there is plenty of positive to build off of. There will be growing pains, but at the end of the day I think his upside is huge. Let the season play out, and let the kid grow and figure it out.

11. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Geno has shown me in the last two games more than Sanchez has in the last three years. You find out what you have in a Qb when all else around them sucks. He still had us in a position to win while Sanchez would turn this bad WR situation into a disaster. Get the kid help and lets see what we have.

12. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Do you know what a small sample size is?

13. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

You mean like starting him against Tom Brady with Three receivers who should be on special teams at best??? Put him in a position to succeed then make a decision.

14. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

I think Geno played better last night than week 1. He was playing well until late in the 4th. After that first pick which mostly wasn't his fault it unraveled. I think if Kerley was healthy we win that game. Clyde Gates should be cut already. He's awful and I dont know why people keep defending him.

Playing at New England as your first ever road game on a Thursday is pretty tough. Not to mention it was raining and you have a receiver fumble a great play and Clyde Gates dropping a TD pass.

The main issue I have with Geno is holding on to the ball too long and not being aware of where the pass rushers are. That can be fixed with more experience easier than some of Sanchez's issues.

15. 1968jetsfan

Actually, glad you brought that up. Lifetime passer rating for career.
    #5 of all time Tony Romo
    #6 of all time Phillip Rivers
    #9 of all time Big Ben
    #11 of all time, Matt Schaub,
    #14 of all time Daunte Culpepper
    #18 of all time Carson Palmer
    #19 of all time Trent Green (yes you read that correctly)
    #21 of all time Shaun Hill
    #23 of all time David Gerrard.
    #27 of all time Andy Dalton.
    #27 of all time (tie) Marc Bulger.

Do you really want to try to argue that Rating says that these 11 are more than 1/3 of the top 30 QB's of all time?

16. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

It favors modern QBs but it is a good stat overall. Combines completion percentage, yards per attempt, TD percentage, and INT percentage. Basically, accuracy, how well you're moving it down the field, how often are you throwing TDs, how often are you throwing INTs. All pretty important stuff. If Romo had a ring, he'd be considered a borderline HoFer with his career numbers. There is no doubt statistically he's been one of the best regular season QBs of all-time. You can debate whether he has shown up in big moments certainly. Rivers was a beast prior to his last 2 years. Has the same issue as Romo though, hasn't gotten it done in big games and he's really tailed off in the regular season too the last 2 years.

17. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Really, explain how the talent this year on offense is better than 2012. You know nothing about football.

Dropped INTs are measured by professional statistic companies like football outsiders that sell their data to ESPN. It's as subjective as "targets" or unforced errors in baseball.

Sanchez had a crapload of dropped ints in 2010, and he had 9 fumbles but only lost 1. QB's typically lose about 50% of fumbles.

The reality is, if you look at the numbers, Mark Sanchez was a 20+ turnover QB in every year except 2010.

When you pair that fact with the dropped interceptions, and the improbable number of fumbles not lost in 2010, it's logical to come to the conclusion that Sanchez got lucky in 2010.

As for your idiotic comment about "Watching the games" we all watch the games. There are inferior fanboi types like you who will defend Mark Sanchez no matter how bad he is, and then there are those of us who are objective and just want the Jets to win. It became painfully obvious that Sanchez was not improving, and is not going to be a NFL QB long ago.

Those holding on to hope are doing so out of fanboyism or some other prejudice. It's pretty obvious watching the games that Sanchez sucks, and it's reenforced by almost every statistic used to measure quarterbacks.

By the way, can we get the Sanchez fan boys/trolls out of the Geno Smith thread? This thread is for the NY Jets starting Quarterback, not the garbage on the bench

#3117 Organized Chaos, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  18. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Isnt that the same rating that said Peyton Manning was the 5th best QB last week. The guy with 7TDs and 0 picks.

19. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

The fact that we had Tebow in 2012 automatically swings it in favor of 2012 talent wise. :lol:

20. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I'm not sold on Geno yet at all but he's done some positive things so far. I think people writing him off already just have some sort of axe to grind for whatever reason. Most rational people are willing to give a rookie QB some time before they decide he's never going to be the answer.