The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. TheCleaner

TheCleaner Active Member

Yes, Thank you
    no play makers.
    Doesn't Matter who you put behind center.
    I'm not here to bash Geno, I really hope he does well.
    But if you don't have the tools to work with unless your a Brady your F'd

and I hate Brady and BB

and also in my opinion not to diss him but Geno is not the future

#2961 TheCleaner, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  2. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

Yeah, if there is one thing we learned tonight, it's that even Brady can't turn a bunch of scrubs into superstars if they're just no good.

3. buddapaw

buddapaw Well-Known Member

This^^^^^^^^^^^^

4. reisb4

reisb4 New Member

I'm sorry, but it doesnt matter. There is nobody defenses need to gameplan against. Geno can "learn from mistakes" and throw better passes, but receivers won't magically figure out separation. Doesn't matter who is back there until there are weapons. Only positive sign is it appears we may fi d a running game every once in a while. That will always help!

5. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I get that Geno, much like Mark, has very little to work with. However I don't feel that should be an excuse for poor decision making. I said the same thing about Sanchez so it's only fair I level the same criticism against Smith. Only difference here being Smith is playing his 2nd NFL game so you have to give him a bit of leeway, more than a 5th year vet at least.

But, man, Geno basically threw away 6 points with TOs in FG range. I know we're used to red zone picks from Sanchez but that is not acceptable to me. Part of it is play calling (pass play on 3rd and 5 with a rookie QB who has receivers dropping balls like they were!?) but if the guy isn't open or the pass is thrown behind or too far ahead it's on the QB.

6. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

It does matter, completion percentages may go down, yardage may go down with bad players around your, that's not an excuse to turn the ball over on ill advised throws. Geno get's slack at this point because he's a rookie...you expect it. Sanchez doesn't because he's not been a rookie for 3 years now :D

Look at Brady today, under 50% completion but not a single turnover or ball that was placed where a defender had a shot at the ball. Having crap players around you is not an excuse to turn the ball over.

7. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Everyone that is yelling "haha the same excuses people weren't acknowledging with Sanchez they are using for Geno" are basically doing the opposite and not acknowledging them for Geno when they did for Sanchez.

At the end of the day, we KNEW this rebuild was gonna take a while. Tanny left us in a tough spot, but the Jets are trying. The defense looks to be set for a while minus at S, but now with Sanchez injured instead of having a typical backup like Quinn or something like that, we actually have a QB in Geno who the CS believes they can groom and try to plan the future around.

8. cval

cval Well-Known Member

We lost and Geno played poorly. He missed a wide open receiver in the end zone prior to the Gates drop. His timing was off and I thought he was supposed to be able to throw the long ball. His pocket presence is just not very good he needs to learn to step up in the pocket.

The kid is a rookie he will get better and that was the whole point in starting Geno this year we will take lumps and lose games we should have won this is one of them.

The Jets defense is legit the question can Geno mature quick enough for us to make the playoffs.

9. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

The last turnover was 100% on Geno - hell all 3 of his INTs were all on him.

Horrible pass to holmes and two lame duck deep balls got picked. Not even a chance for the receiver to play defender on those deep balls.

The only hope is he just sucks in rain -- my buddy is a big WV fan and said yesterday afternoon rain and smith do not go together well.

10. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Geno throws at his receivers, he doesn't throw beyond them. Fix that and he looks a lot better. I'm just worried because outs not a concept that takes long to learn. He certainly doesn't need a season to learn it and yet he hadn't gotten it.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4

11. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Let's set the bar a little higher, shall we?

12. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

He hasn't learned the quick slant -- that is a play where you trust a receiver to be in a spot..should be an easy throw for QB and Smith seems to really struggle and throwing to a spot. Good QBs can hike the ball and get it out of their hand in a second throwing to a spot...hopefully Smith learns this.

13. namath4ever

namath4ever Member

Simms couldnt even cut it in college and you think hes an NFL QB? Get real

14. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

People comparing Geno to Sanchez are missing the boat for two reasons:

A) People complained anyone could be better than Sanchez and when Geno hasn't been it's been 'well he's just a rookie anyway'.
    B) Sanchez actually REGRESSED to that level over his five seasons.

Geno clearly isn't ready...he should be learning about the NFL on the bench. Some guys are ready as rookies. Geno wasn't one of them and he showed it against the Giants. But because Rex was a buffoon and put Sanchez in to die behind an inferior line, we were literally left with no choice. People want to play him to see what we have, I didn't want to play him and ruin him off the hop.

15. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Here is what I don't understand and Holmes does this all the time. The pass was shit--late and up--that is on Geno for sure--but Holmes knows that immediately. Why isn't he pulling up and knocking those DBs around like bowling pins. Jet receivers never play DB when the pass is off line. They give up on routes when they should not. And they give up on inaccurate throws all the time.

#2975 jdon, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  16. jetzIII

jetzIII New Member

Man, there is a lot of stupid people on this board.
    First time I seen a QB not rattled in the pocket, he had receivers drop passes and made some bad throws at the end of the game. He is a rookie, give him a break. Mark would have thrown his usual 6 pick and we would have been down even more.

The 10 year olds on this site, please remove yourself..

17. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Exactly, it's like he plays sandlot. He's throwing to where the receiver is and not where they're going to be. Yes it's fixable, but the light isn't going on yet, so expect more of it. He needs to learn how to throw to routes, and our receivers need to learn to catch.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4

18. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

it is not hypocrisy to grasp the difference between a rookie playing in his second game, throwing in the rain, and a 3rd and 4th year QB. you have to be blind or stupid to not see the difference, and "seeing" it isn't a matter of sight.

19. laxin

laxin Active Member

Why the hell would he trust any of our receivers to be in the right spot? He's a rookie with the worst receiving corp in football (or damn close to it). He is going to throw to what he sees as a rookie... anticipation should come with time and trust in his receivers.

20. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

These Sanchez apologists need to give Geno the same leeway and cut him the same slack as they did for Mark. Now if we're in year 4 and he's STILL making these same boneheaded mistakes THEN you can get on him (I will too) but for now I'm chalking it up to rookie mistakes and lets hope that he learns from this.

He played well and made some good throws but those INT's is all everybody is focusing on.