MARTY Mornhinweg

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DanR, Sep 12, 2013.

1. DanR

DanR Active Member

1st and 10 and Marty decides a run play with a FB

1st and 10 and Marty decides a run play with a FB

And 2 and 6 he decides a run play with a FB again

Correct me if i'm wrong, but arent FB's used for 1 or 2 yard plays? or better yet, goal line plays?

#1 DanR, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  2. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

On 2nd and 6, I would need to see a replay, but I'm pretty sure we had a 1st down, the Pats had nobody ready for it. We caught them off guard but Tommy got tangled on his feet. There was room

3. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Yeah I was all for it on the 3rd down play, but I know what play you're talking about, and it made no f'n sense.

4. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Just wasted downs. Would love to know what MM is doing calling those.

5. steviep

steviep Active Member

you cant criticize every call (I am you can) but ....
    They should have not gone away from the run. Pats couldn't stop it.

6. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

And what happened to Chris Ivory?

7. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

You can when its constant fullback dives for 2 1-2 yards....

8. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

Is it really that difficult to call NFL games ??? Where is the running game? Why isn't Ivory getting more carries ?? Where was Winslow tonite ? Why is Geno throwing so much ??? Why isn't Rex taking control? Where is the punt returner ? Why didn't Jets sign Leon Washington when Pats cut him ??? Why is Clyde Gates on the team ???

9. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

What do half your questions have to do with MM? He doesn't make the decision to leave no one to return punts. He sure as hell isn't in charge of signing/cutting guys either. What an incoherent garbage thread, there are plenty of other threads already made for you to vent.

10. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

Maybe a little over the top as far as the OP but...

I do agree that Ivory should have had a lot more carries than he did. He was running with a head of steam and it seemed like every time he got a little momentum going MM would either go to a pass play or switch him out for Powell. He never had the chance to get any rhythm going. That pissed me off. No reason Ivory and Powell should only have had 25 carries between them when we controlled the clock all night. I thought the playcalling sucked tonight.

11. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Honestly, I didn't get why we practically abandoned the run, when it was looking decent. Come on! A rookie QB in the pouring rain in FG range and we go for a big play that gets picked off? Run the ball, kick the FG. Geno made mistakes, but seriously he wasn't exactly put in a position to succeed on many of those drives. Too much pressure on him to do everything. You gotta take at least some pressure off the rookie if you expect to win games. This game was gift wrapped for us to win and it was blown multiple times by too much aggressive passing in the poor weather.

#11 Barcs, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  12. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Active Member

35 Pass attempts + 4 sacks + 3 Geno runs = 42 called passes vs. 29 called runs.

I know we were playing from behind all night, but on a night when the weather turned filthy, your rookie QB started struggling in the 2nd quarter, and WR's are dropping balls left and right, I don't know why you don't lean heavily on the running game.

To be fair, though, if shitheads catch some balls, we're probably not having this discussion.

13. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

Yes, we were playing from behind all night, but we were one score away for most of the game, there was never a point where they needed to make up a large deficit and never a point where they needed to abandon the run. 42/29 looks like a pretty poorly designed gameplan when you have a rookie QB in his second start and a run game that was gaining steady yardage.

14. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

It's one of the continuing mysteries why the Jets (and they are not the only ones) go away from what is working to something that is more risky - especially under less than perfect conditions. I just don't understand, but I guess that's why Marty and Rex get paid the big bucks. We had heard that Marty was pass happy, but you'd think that Rex would assert some pressure on Marty to run the ball more - especially since the Pats weren't scoring tons of points against us.

15. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Geno's on pace right now that if they keep this play calling he'll have around 650-700 drop backs this season, if you factor in sacks and scrambles that is, he's on pace for around 600 if you don't factor in sacks and scrambles.

16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Good questions. Lets go through them 1 by 1:

Is it really that difficult to call NFL games ???

-Yeah, I am sure it is harder than people think. Not easy to get an OC job.

Where is the running game?

-It was there. Ivory looked pretty good, as did Powell. Just not called enough.

Why isn't Ivory getting more carries ??

-Marty seems to be a pass-happy OC.

Where was Winslow tonite ?

-He had a couple catches. I agree, should have been used more.

Why is Geno throwing so much ???

-Good question. I don't think he should be. However, Marty must trust him, which is a good thing. Still, maybe the staff is a little too confident in Geno. Should ease him in more.

Why isn't Rex taking control?

-He is. Of the defense. That is all he knows.

Where is the punt returner ?

-Kerley was out. They obviously didn't trust Wilson with a wet ball.

Why didn't Jets sign Leon Washington when Pats cut him ???

-Maybe the tried and he decided to go back to New England.

Why is Clyde Gates on the team ???

-I don't know. I didn't like when he was signed and I sure as hell don't know why he is still on the roster. Braylon has always been better.

17. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Active Member

It's not so much abandoning what works, it's really just a desire to pass the ball, and the Jets certainly aren't alone (although Schotty was the same way). Morningwood came from Philly this way. Cam Cameron got fired in Baltimore last year for not using Ray Rice, then his replacement, Jim Caldwell, has Flacco throw 30 times before halftime last week in a game they were winning 17-14. And they won the Super Bowl.

Norvelous Norv Turner gave Trent Richardson 13 carries last week and let Weeden throw 53 times (including 3 picks) in a game that was 13-10 at the start of the fourth. It's just a passing league and these coordinators want to pass the ball regardless of who's under center.

18. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Fire MM thread in 3... 2... 1

19. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

One of the things that Eagles fans always complained about with Morningwood is that he calls like 65% - 70% passing plays no matter how well the running game is going. Period.

The Jets had a lot of chances to get things going, although they usually had bad field position. But I felt like if they would have just called a whole bunch of running plays in a row, if you can just repeatedly get 4 - 6 yards a carry I think they should have done that until we got into field position. We should have been playing more conservatively in the second half instead of putting it all on the rookie QB and a crew of receivers who mostly seemed incapable of catching the ball.

But, this is just how Marty rolls- for better or worse, he just does not believe in putting together drives 4 - 6 yards at a time, he views running as something you do to convert on 3rd and 1 or 2 (or get a TD when you're on the goal line), and something you do to help set up the pass. Eagles fans were always complaining that he has McCoy but hardly uses him.

On the other hand, it was very encouraging to see that unlike in the preseason and in Week 1, we do actually have a running game. Ivory is very good, but he is a very violent runner and I can see how he gets injured all the time. He's not going to have a long career running the way he does, but he will be very effective as long as he's healthy.

They decided that they were going with a committee RB system, rather than having 1 every-down back, because honestly we don't have someone well-suited for that. Ivory's style just puts his body at a lot of risk, and you can't not get injured playing the way he does, so splitting the reps with Powell will make Ivory stay healthy longer.

Where was Winslow- good question, I was wondering the same thing. Maybe his knee was acting up? I don't know... he was nowhere to be found in the second half of the game.

Why is Geno throwing so much- again, that's how Morningwood rolls. He believes in winning through the air.

Why isn't Rex taking control- because that's not how it works. Whoever is calling the offensive plays has to be ultra-familiar with the game plan offensively, and it's not really possible to be at that level of familiarity with both the offense and the defense. No HC calls all the plays on offense and defense. Rex has given his OC full control of the offense, and has trusted him to do what he thinks is best. If Rex started tinkering around with it, he could screw things up. I think the plan was to give Geno a chance to put together a drive and win it in the 4th quarter, but the receivers just sucked, and Geno made some bad throws, and the Patriots were able to get a lot of pressure with just their front 4.

Where's the punt returner- Yeah. Arguably they decided that they wanted an extra guy to attempt to block the punt. If they had succeeded, they could have had the ball deep in Patriot territory. They were probably worried about more fumbles and just decided to have a better chance at blocking it.

On Leon Washington- yeah, they should have given that more thought.

Why is Clyde Gates on the roster- he showed promise in training camp and pre-season. He is not NFL quality at all, but at this point the Jets don't have a lot of options. I think that even though he knows the system now and a veteran free agent would not, I think you have to think about bringing one in. If Braylon Edwards is healthy I would sign him and cut Gates tomorrow. But I don't know if Edwards is healthy. They need to look at other guys (not Ochocinco.)

20. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

I made a thread about the new hybrid FB thing the Jets are trying out with Bohannon, and I personally hate it.