Jets Will Beat Pats Thursday....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Pretty much what I think.

We won this week at home and things looked good. But road games are different animals. And we are going against Brady-Bellichick duo. I am optimistic but I also know the mountain we have to climb to win.

2. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Geno better watch out for his helmet suddenly malfunctioning

3. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I still favor the Pats to win even with the injuries. The Jets LBs specifically have to be ready to handle the hurry up and key in on RBs going to the flat and Brady targetting the LB on RB matchup.

I think we need to score 28 points total without the offense/ST giving up any short fields/points to win this game. I'm not sure if our offense can do that right now though

4. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Brady has to be knocked around early and often. He doesn't respond very well to getting knocked on his ass repeatedly. You beat him up and he eventually loses his composure.

The other tactic would be to try to keep him the hell off the field. We need our O-line to step up big time and open holes for Ivory and Powell. That will open up the occasional pass by Geno to Winslow or Hill with an occasional run by Geno himself for a 1st down, just like yesterday.

If we can keep the chains moving and just keep piling up the points, eventually it puts Brady in a situation he doesn't want to be in because he's missing some key pieces. Folk was good for 48 last night. Move the chains and pile up the points and when Brady's on the field adn behind, go after him big time and force him to start taking risks he's uncomfortable with.

We've seen that show before. It's not impossible. The key is the O-line and Geno staying calm and going to work.

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

One thing we are forgetting is that this is geno's first road game in a hostile environment. How he handles that will be the key for us having a chance.

6. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

The key to beating Brady is to be able to get pressure on him without a big blitz. If you send too many guys at him, too many targets will be open and he'll just win 5 - 9 yards at a time.

This game will largely come down to whether the Jets' D-line can generate consistent pressure on Brady, and also shut down the run game.

If Smith has turnover issues, that can easily be enough to lose the game for us since they tend not to give away many turnovers themselves and we'll be lucky to get even 1. I know NE has a good run defense, but hopefully it isn't as effective as Tampa's was, because if we can get a ground game going that should make things much easier for Smith and the offense.

But, the Patriots will still be heavily favored to win. The Jets have maybe a 35% chance to win, but if Smith can limit the turnovers we'll have a fair chance at beating them out in another close game.

7. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

If I had to sum up, in one word, Geno's performance yesterday, it would be COMPOSURE.

It's so refreshing to see that. So to answer your concern, I think Geno will handle the hostile envoironment pretty well. He really doesn't look like he allows outside distractions to mess with his head.

I couldn't believe some of the accurate passes yesterday. And yesterday was a day in which any rookie would have fallen flat on his face with the pressure. First game, stout defense, no run game to speak of. A lot of stuff for a rookie to control and he did it. So I'm not looking for him to have a problem with the hostile environment. That's always mind over matter.

8. Jollygreenjet

Jollygreenjet Moderator

I think the reason the pats seemed dominate running the ball last season is because no one stacked the box in fear of Brady and his core of talented receivers, Gronk, Welker, Hernandez, etc. Brady does not have those options this year, as two of those three are long gone and the other is still recovering from an injury. Stats can be mislesding, the pats running game last year was a product of the passing game opening up the run, you had respect those receivers and couldnt afford to stack the box. Perfect example of them taking advantage of what opposing defenses gave them.

9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

This indeed. Heavy duty pressure by the front four and collapse the pocket for Brady. Everything else will fall in line.

10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Beyond what has been said here by many we must not underestimate the importance of special teams in this game. The Jets need to bring their A+++ game.

Geno first away game could not occur in a more hostile environment short of may be Philly.
    He could use much better field position to start his drives than this past Sunday.

Also, the OL and running game for us will have to be solid and effective. Time of possession needs to be bias towards the Jets side for us to be successful. Keeping Brady on the sidelines as much as we can is the best strategy.

It will necessitate an error free game and a couple of turn overs by the Pats.

Call me crazy, but I'm hoping MM allows a few no huddle quick plays for Geno to keep the D confused.

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't agree. I think the Jets need to send pressure most of the night. Brady doesn't deal with it well.

The missing part of the equation is how they scheme coverage to deal with it.

I want Brady on his ass early and often. That's the best way to beat them.

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Brady is very good with defenders coming off the edge - we need to pressure him with the defensive line pushing the pocket back. It's Brady's only true weakness. You really want to see the Jets send 6, 7 guys at Brady all day? I don't think that's going to work ... I think we should switch it up and send 6 or 7 sometimes, but not all day no way.

Send 4 or 5 and cluster-fuck the middle of the field - whoever goes over the middle will pay and make them think twice. I think with this new defensive line, we can get pressure only sending 5 guys.

Just on 3rd down don't send the house ...

13. Slagan7

Slagan7 Member

I think it's a bad idea to be underestimating the game planning of the patriots. The Patriots are one of the best at using the hurry up offense, and not allowing the Jets to get the proper personnel out on the field. I don't care how awesome your front seven is, they will get gassed quick. And if you are not getting the pressure to Brady, he's going to light up the secondary. Even when the Jets are bringing in coverage, they switch to the run game.

The Jets will need to score quick. If the Jets are playing catch up with a rookie qb, the game will be over quickly.

14. 2insane

2insane Well-Known Member

I think you will see a lot of run plays and play action from the Pats. They have too many new pieces to run what they have been.

15. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

We beat the pats Thursday because Tammy Brady will cave to the pressure of our D line.

16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Right there.

When Rex beat NE in the playoffs he played Dime almost the entire game. Which means he played down one Safety and one LB.

Most teams try and do the same thing....beat Brady with good front 4 play and flood the field with DBs.

That leaves a rather weak defense against the run, which NE tries to take advantage of. BUT with the Jets, our front 4 can get to Brady AND stop the run at the same time, as seen against the Bucs.

We got to Freeman numerous times AND shut down last year's 1,400 yard rookie of the year RB.

It also means we have the right men on the field for all 3 downs so the hurry up offense designed to prevent defensive substitutions becomes less deadly for the Jets.

Rex knew what he was doing using 3 1st round pics in a row on the D-Line.

What WILL hurt the Jets is the absence of Coples up the middle and Kerley across the middle.

17. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

that approach hasnt worked well recently... the pats have lit up the scoreboard on us the last few games because now they CAN run it when you go with a sub package.

18. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I honestly don't know how much they are going to run this week. Vereen just got hurt after posting 100+ yards and 50 in the receiving game, and Ridley is in Belichicks doghouse. I think we are going to see a lot of quick passes and WR screens to substitute for the run game. We shall see though.

I can't wait for this game. I feel really good about this one. Vegas has the lines at 12.5 right now. I think it's going to be a much closer game than that.

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeah. The loss of Vereen seems big at this point. The Pats almost seem like they are rebuilding when you look at their roster.

Two months ago, I thought the Jets would lose this game by 25 points. Right about now, I'm not so sure they lose at all.

20. laxin

laxin Active Member

You take away Brady, and they have a bottom 1/3 roster. Possibly worse. An elite QB changes everything.