Mangold vs. Wilfork

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I thought Mangold did a great job handling Haynsworth last week. Now he has another challenge with Wilfork. It's going to be much tougher without Kendall. I'll be keeping a close eye on this matchup. Even though it's only week 2, this matchup will show how much Mangold has developed so far.

2. ScotlandJet

ScotlandJet New Member

Kendall is questionable but did practice yesterday. I hope he makes it.

3. hendersg

hendersg New Member

He did do a good job. This kid is a real surprise. I knew he had talent, but I didn't think he could step in and produce like he has so far. Its early, but he's playing like a vet and we don't seem to be missing a beat with him. Will make us forget KM pretty quick if he continues like this, and those are hugh shoes to fill.

4. hazmat

hazmat New Member

I thought he did a great job in pass protection, but I don't think he did well run blocking. I think he will have his hands full with Wilfork. I also expect the pats to do everything they can to confuse the offensive line. Keeping in mind that we have 3 or 4 new starting lineman it could be ugly.

5. The Mariner

The Mariner New Member

I'm hoping to see more traps and pulls this time around. Last week the blocking schemes were pretty vanilla and most of the runs were up the middle. I hope this week with a successful game under the o-line's belt we open up the run game a little more and take advantage of our line's athleticism.

6. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

I did see Mangold double team the DT when the LB blitzed through his gap for a sack last week, and he has a ways to go in run blocking, but I like what I've seen so far. He's a rookie. I think Mangini will have him pulling more often than trying to run behind him, and into Wilfork. Mangini has to know that is a mismatch that favors the Pats.... so run away from that front 3 instead, is my guess at the game plan. Perhaps later in the game, after that Pats front 3 has gotten a little tired of persuing behind the play, he tries to run AT them.

Ah.... it sure is nice to have this sort of faith in a HC. Did Herm EVER have a game specific game plan, designed for each opponent? Rhetorical question.

7. dBLitzer28

dBLitzer28 Active Member

Mangold has been impressive so far. Hopefully he will be able to read the blitzes. Mangini should be teachin him to read the Blitzes using the Pats D that he used to run in NE.

8. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

Was I watching the right game? I thought Haynesworth was getting lots of pressure and even hitting pennington on a few occassions. I expect them to stunt every other play to keep our young guys on there toes....could be in for a long day tomorrow.

9. dBLitzer28

dBLitzer28 Active Member

The plays that gave hayensworth good licks on Penny were loops to the outside n the RBs didnt pick him up.

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Well, I remember on one of the red zone running plays in the first half it was incorrectly stated by one of the commentators (can't remember who) that it was Mangold that muscled Haynesworth to the left side to create a hole when it was actually Katnik.

I'm not saying he isn't developing nicely for a rookie, but he got more credit than he deserved in that game due to bad analysis. I remember whoever it was rambled on about it endlessly.

11. luckiestman

luckiestman New Member

i rewatched the game and mangold played well

12. chef

chef Banned

isn't D'brick -seymore/vrabel a bit more important?

13. luckiestman

luckiestman New Member

for some reason i thought seymour was over the right tackle

14. Ten

Ten Active Member

I haven't watched that many pat games of late but i reckon Wilfork suffers from Pat and 1st round syndrome where people think he's better than he is simply because he plays for the pats and he was a 1st round pick.

To be fair i'm going back to the first half of the 2005 season where i saw Wilfork be man handeled by just one blocker.I heard he played better in the 2nd half of the season but that was down to moving him off the line of scrimmage and allowing him to use his quick burts to gain better leverage.Saying that,Wilfork did a poor job on Anthony Thomas's 30 yard D run last week.Haynesworth is a better player than Wilfork and if Mangold did a good job last week then we should be fine in the individual match up.

I've yet to watch the Titans game in full but Mangold had a really nice preseason.The one thing i notced is that he is a lot stronger than Mawae,which should benifit us when playing 3-4 teams.

Mangold didn't really get any pulling assignments in preseason,i say didn't really because he got to the outside on Brad Smiths TD on the reverse but i don't know if that was by design.Moore and Clements sealed off the right side of the line and it left Mangold no one to block,i reckon he just took off down the field knowing the ball should of been heading that way.

The one thing i'd worry about is how Mangold will handle the line calls against an ever changing defensive front.It's impossible to tell how good a job he's doing from watching the game as we'll never know what call was made if any.We've got an advantage in that Mangold has faced a multi-front defense all season long.

15. jetsnvegas

jetsnvegas New Member

16. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

Haynesworth is a better and much more active lineman that wilfork.. i expect mangold to more than hold his own vs wilfork. who is basicaly just a clog. i would be more concerned about seymour abd D brick.

#16 hydro51, Sep 17, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2006
  17. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

You guys know the difference between 43 and 34 DTs right? Wilfork's job is to be a clog in the middle, even though with his speed he could just as easily be an undertackle. He's done a good job in whooping up on the Jets in the past if I'm not mistaken as well. Wilfork is one of the most important, and best, players on that Patriot defense, ask any Patriot fan and I'm sure they'd tell you the exact same thing. He's twice the player Al Haynesworth is, and about 40x the player Dewayne ever was. Mangold is going to be stellar today if the Jets want to have any run game in the middle of the field.

18. hazmat

hazmat New Member

I agree with Green Hurricane, he is one of the best nose tackles in the league. You could have a 3-4 defense with great players all over the field but without a nose tackle that demands double teams the offense will be able to move the ball. Seymour and Wilfork are two of the best defensive lineman in the NFL. The Jets are going to have to run a lot of misdirection counters, screens to keep the pats off defense off balance.

19. hazmat

hazmat New Member

What would you like him to do? He's not in a position that puts up stats. Are you going to tell me that Jamal Williams and Casey Hampton haven't done much either?

20. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Seymour plays RE in the base 3-4 so he will be over Brick.