The Kickoff is now the most boring play

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Murrell2878, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

This used to be a fun play to watch, but now all they do is kick it out of the back of the endzone. I understand about player safety, but there has to be something better than this

2. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Early in the season it's true... but as the weather gets colder it's not always the case.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It's basically going to be their rationale for doing away with kickoffs altogether.

4. Murrell2878

Sadly, I think you're right, but I don't know what they would replace it with

5. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

I'm surprised they haven't done away with the illegal procedure penalty by now. Seems that's what they want anyway.

6. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Absolutely right, which means that this year will be a Super Bowl where there could be an exciting kickoff return, unless of course there's a blizzard going on.

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

2015 - The National Football League announces today that they have done away with the kickoff, once one of the most exciting plays in the game of football. Instead of a replacement; They will now just have offenses start at the 20 yard line because "that's basically all that's been happening anyway"

That's what's going to happen. Kickoffs are a joke now, pointless. So sad, I used to love that part of the game.

8. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

coin toss, team starts on 20 yard line. That is what I think will happen

9. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

The problem is, when you take away kickoffs you also take away onside kicks. I don't think even Roger Goodell wants that to happen.

Onside kicks are exciting and game-changing. Right now we are at a happy medium, I guess... the injuries from kickoffs have gone down, and it is extremely boring, but onside kicks still happen.

10. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

What about onside kicks? Would that die with the kickoff?

11. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

This......

do think u can keep the onsides kick.

12. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I agree with OP. Kickoffs are officially pointless. You might as well just give them the ball at the 20. It's not like the majority of injuries even come from kickoff returns. It's a big joke. With fair catch and everything else, there's no reason to have the kickoff so close. It ruins a critical aspect of the game. Hell why not just eliminate special teams altogether? It seems in 10 years we'll be there anyway. Forget punting. Just give them the ball 50 yards from where you where. Why allow skill to matter at all? NFL is getting softer and softer.

13. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I think this can make the beginning of the game more interesting and make up for lack of interest on KOs:grin:

[YOUTUBE]FeeVwkLYD5g[/YOUTUBE]

14. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Is it ever! I watched various games yesterday, and most were either touchbacks or players electing not to come out of the EZ.
    They need to put the ball back where it was.

15. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

they don't want more KOs, this is exactly what he NFL wants. less collision plays like KO returns. There w2ill be more as it gets colder and harder to kick to deep in the EZ but they aren't moving it back to the 30.

16. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Might as well just scrap it altogether then and start from the 20, no wonder Westy retired

17. Murrell2878

I kind of like the idea of changing the kickoff to a punt. Make it a play, that if the team wanted to go for it (onside kick) they'd have to get 10 yards in order to keep the ball. Have the LOS be the 40. There are a ton of fair catches on Punt Returns anyway, so there would be less returns, less injuries, but still the potential for a return. I also believe there are less injuries on the Punt play vs the Kickoff as well. The fake punt for the onside kick would be exciting. Also, keep the rule that you have to kick it in play. If you punt it out of bounds then the returning team would start their possession at the 45 like they do now.

18. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Agreed. I like that idea and it would at least keep an important aspect of the game in field position to avoid extinction. I mean with fair catches, there shouldn't really be any huge collisions on kickoffs. I haven't seen one in a long time.

19. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

They really need to move the ball back to the 30 yd line, or start thinking outside the box which both protects players and keeps the kickoff alive.

Suggestion from the great Westhoff which i really like:

20. allan1

allan1 Active Member

What's strange is that the first year that they did move kickoffs up, touchbacks were unchanged...now all of a sudden guys are booting it out of the endzone. Why?

I bet the NFL uses juiced footballs for kickoffs only