"Official" Start Matt Simms thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joeyd223, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

What a pretentious asshole. Why don't you concentrate on posting about football rather than constantly insulting other posters with your BS air of superiority. How about you put me on ignore? It will be better for both of us and the board. I don't need your constant stalking and criticisms of my posts. WTF do you think you are anyway? You are nothing more than an internet bully. It's tough to do that when nobody knows who you are, tough guy. Enjoy the game.

#601 Joe Willie White Shoes, Sep 7, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  2. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I still don't think its the same. Warner had a successful senior year in college. I found the following on line.

Disappointed by the lack of interest from any bigger college football programs, Warner ended up at the University of Northern Iowa in Cedar Falls, a Division I-AA school that wasn't exactly famous for churning out NFL talent. Initially excited about staying closer to home, Warner's enthusiasm for the college—where he majored in communications—and its football program, waned. After redshirting his freshman year, the quarterback was relegated to the bench for the next three seasons. He thought about quitting, and only stayed on after his parents convinced him.

Finally, in the fall of 1993, Warner took hold of the starting position, leading the Panthers to an 8-3 record, a playoff birth, and conference honors as the Offensive Player of the Year.

So while Warner rode the bench for three years at a small school, when he got his shot, he played well, kept his role as the starter for the entire senior season and was named Offensive player of the year in his conference. Simms lost his starting position in his junior year and never regained it. He threw 8 td passes in his entire college career. He was just a bad college QB. Warner went unrecognized and undrafted. Simms was not overlooked, he didn't deserve a look.

Warner's story is a fascinating one. If Simms ends up as a starting NFL QB, his story will surpass Warner's as far as resulting in an unexpected success. Is there anything about Simms before the 3 quarters agains the Eagles that indicates he is NFL material? Warner proved himself in the AFL and even then, did not earn the job until Trent Green went down with an injury. He did not win the job with one great preseason game.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Oh, I will. And I'll come on here and somehow avoid preaching down my nose at the forum as a whole, as well.

Bag of fucking wind.

4. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I think you could go and find a story or two about Matt Simms and the travails he has had as well. In fact, I think somebody posted a very good story earlier on in this thread. Bounced around...had some attitude problems, then got hosed out by the Tennessee coaching staff...etc...etc...

We shall see how it pans out...it's kind of getting tiring talking about it.

5. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

Give a kid a shot, I'm sick of this "what has he done in college?" crap. If he doesn't deserve to be a starter in the NFL make him go out and there and show it. Till then we'll just be living in a world of, what if? Something Jets fans are very familiar with, our team motto should be "what if?"

6. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

BWAHAHAHAHAHA...I'm drunk and I;m laughin at this thread......

..reallt?

7. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Sims is not a college QB, He has had two off seasons preparing and practicing against real NFL players. Meetings, playbooks, lifting weights, being coached, He has a lot more pro experience now than any kid coming out of college who did not even play in a pro style offense.

Everyone talks about Smith's body of work, well there isn't any to look at. With their pro experience, Simms is way ahead in reading NFL defenses and learning plays which he clearly showed. The only reason he was not given a chance is because the GM viewed Smith as a ticket seller and now that he has him he needs him to start and play well to save face. Rex was still hoping Sanchez would have a comeback and save him face. Neither Rex or GM wanted to have his QB outplayed by an undrafted QB they already had.

Now Rex has to start Smith no matter how bad he plays since the GM is very vocal about Smith. Rex is just trying to save his job. If I were Rex I would be wanting to get fired rather than be the GMs new whipping boy through this season.

8. Joeyd223

Joeyd223 New Member

Oh great, now with Geno managing the game against the Bucs alright, Simms is on the path to being forgotten. Geno had a good first outing but truth is, ball security and Defense kept us in the game. If Simms was in, we could have had another 7 or more points on the board. Simms can play. I will not let the Simms era die down without a fight.

9. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

The "Official" lock this dumb ass thread post.

10. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

So much for that idea...

11. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Active Member

I can't wait to hear this guy's take on the game.

12. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

What makes you think Simms would have done better?

13. jetsons

jetsons Well-Known Member

I personally believe Simms is a better QB & has more of an awareness of the game than the genome. Would he have done better today? I say Yes. If Simms had played today ALL you would be reading about is how great he played in the game.

#613 jetsons, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  14. TheCleaner

TheCleaner Active Member

^ this , just trying to get my count up but this is true

15. Joeyd223

Joeyd223 New Member

In the pre season I saw Matt Simms make certain throws that are hard to execute and get the ball into very tight windows with precision. Geno did manage the game well but I havent seen Geno make really any difficult throws. Matt Simms is a player that I refuse to forget about and give up on.

16. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

What makes you think Simms would have done any worse?

17. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Are you still bumping this garbage?

18. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

Good thing both of you have a lot of pull with the front office and coaching staff.

19. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Hyperbolic and can't be proven one way or the other.
    Could he have remained poised despite no run game and the oline giving up pressure? We will never know.

20. laxin

laxin Active Member

Prepare for a long season of disappointment then.

Geno's dart to Winslow on 3rd and long rolling out of the pocket? The touch pass to Bohanon? The screen pass to Powell as he was being lit up by a DE? The seam pass to Cumberland right in the bucket? Or his first throw of the game to Kerley?

Those were quality throws. By no means "gimme's".