How important is this opener?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JETSJETSJETS17, Sep 4, 2013.

1. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

Disagree. Look at our schedule. We lose on Sunday we're starting off 2-8 at best, season over. One win makes a big difference. A lot of you seem to forget that Week 1 and Week 17 are worth the same. Yeah, yeah, you'll come back with no. But they are, you win the game now, then maybe you don't have to win it later.

2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

if he is a lame duck coach, it doesn't matter how he starts or finishes. otherwise he wouldn't be a lame duck coach.

so if Gino plays excellent, going 21-28 with 3 TD's, 0 INTs or turnovers, but the D lays an egg and we lose, Gino's confidence will be shaken?

these are two of the first ten posts in this thread; that doesn't bode well for the rest of it.

3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Every game is important. Every game is not a "must win".

Saying we'll start 2-8 at best if we lose Sunday is just your negative opinion. If that's the case isn't the best we can start 3-7 if we win?

4. AarontheJet

AarontheJet Active Member

I'd say every game is must-win for us. At this point the team needs to take it week by week and not overlook their opponents or lose focus. TB is a winnable game, if we can pressure Freeman and force him into making mistakes and neutralize their running game. The offense just needs to do the bare minimum.

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

The most important thing is for the Jets to play well, regardless of the final outcome.

I'd rather lose a close, well fought battle than win a stinker we were dominated in.

Same for week two.

Just play well, make improvements, get better, and let the season play out.

6. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I'd say that every one of the 16 games is important...but there is some added emphasis on this one.

1. Geno can get out the gate on a good note and build some much needed confidence.
    2. We can see what the run defense is going to look like. Tampa has one of the better backs we'll face.
    3. We'll see how our secondary is going to look with Milliner

It's not the end all be all but it would be nice. Now, I'll tell you...I must be the ONLY one on this page but I don't think New Orleans is a lock to beat us either. Not even close. Some of the teams some of you having us lose to I can't fathom. I've taken a look at every team this preseason and no one other than Atlanta looks unstoppable.

It's amazing how everyone is up in arms and whining about the ridiculous bullshit the media pumps about the Jets and how BAD they'll be yet just dismisses the love fest on how GOOD these other teams will be. Am I the only one who thinks New England comes crashing back to earth this year? I must be.

No, a great start is primary for our QB's confidence really...other than that, we'll recover.

#46 mezzavo, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  7. Denny

Denny Active Member

In a 16 game season, every win is important making every game important. The Wildcard is the target. Got to win non conference and non division match ups for tie breaks. They need to play their collective asses off.

8. Jet Pac

Jet Pac New Member

Hey remember WEEK 1 against the Bills last year.

Riiiiiiight.

End thread.

9. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Why you guys so scared of the schedule? every year, everyone makes a big deal out of the schedule.

2009:

ZOMG Texans
    ZOMG Patriots and Brady is coming back
    OMG the Titans who were the #1 seed last year (who ended up starting off 0-6)

Everything changes year to year, I remember everyone freaking out about the Vikings in 2010 in the preseason yet by the time we played them they were 1-3 and going down hill. That Falcons team we play week 5 can easily be a 1-3 team. Things change rapidly year to year, the teams from last season wont be the same teams this year. Stop acting like its a continuation, it isnt, changes have been made all over the place, every player is a year older, its just not the same.

10. Tommy Gunnz

Tommy Gunnz Member

Week 1 is huge for the psyche and confidence of our team. Tampa is one of the few winnable games in the 1st half and it is at home so this is a MUST WIN for our guys IMO. If we lose this game I think we are in for a VERY VERY long season

11. rico college

rico college Well-Known Member

Week one is the same as any other week this season.

12. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Of course it's pretty important. An with the media back lash as bad as its been for the last year now this is the perfect time to go out there in a game most say we won't win and win and shut everyone the fuck up. At least for a week.

13. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

I completely disagree. Tampa had 1 bad loss last year. They were in every game but one and a break here or there and they go from a 7-9 team to a 10 win team.

Margin of loss last year..

Giants -7 (they had this game won but imploded)
    Dallas -6
    Washington -2
    New Orleans -7
    Atlanta -1
    Denver -8
    Eagles -2
    New Orleans -41 (spanked)
    St. Louis -15

For a new coach with a questionable QB (sound familiar?) I thought they competed well in arguably the toughest division in the NFC.

This is a team on the rise with a much improved defense and added RB depth. They have 2 good WR's but little behind that. They cut Zach Miller and I've never heard of Stocker so I can't say what they have at TE.

They likely need to find a QB and WR depth but overall this is solid team.

14. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

6.25% important.

15. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

This is how I see it to, and they added players to the secondary. They have a defensive head coach going into year two, this team is not medicore, the Bucs will likely be in the playoff hunt week 16 and 17.

If we beat the Bucs it will say a lot about the Jets because the Bucs have talented players all over the place.

16. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Agreed..

They remind me of the Jets team from Rex's first 2 years, strong D, strong run game, good receivers (not great), and don't let the QB screw it up.

I don't see a run to the NFC championship game because the NFC is loaded with better teams but I expect them to be in the hunt for a wildcard.

17. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I see what you did there.:metal:

Anyways, it'll be great to start the season off 1 - 0 and then watch the media say how bad the Bucs are, but not how well we played.

#FtheMedia

18. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I've never understood the thinking that any specific game is not a "must win," including the aforementioned opener.

For the Jets right now, every game is a "must win," and if I were head coach, I'd bench anyone who thought, "it's just one game and the beginning of the season and we have plenty of games (only 15) to make it up." Really?

If you're the Patriots (hopefully of years gone by), what's the difference between 13-3 or 12-4? Not very much.

But if you're the Jets right now, the difference can be 9-7 or 8-8. Huge!

One of the things that have bugged me no end about El Guapo is his press conferences in which he nonchalantly declares, "Well, it's only one game, and we have to.... blah, blah, blah."

Having stated the above, the overall picture is most important on Sunday. After every opening game, I've actually been able to pretty much predict the entire season. That first game is a real eye-opener. You are either ready for NFL football or you are not.

19. foreboding

foreboding Member

The kid got some bad advice for sure. I mean getting Jay Z as your agent? He seems so surefire cocky that he will either be amazing or a disaster.

I read the other day he is not studying film on Revis?!? Better to shut up than to say that.... Revis will make him pay Sunday, the kid has no idea...

20. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

I am sure he just got a little carried away when he said that.. You best believe Rex and MM have him sitting down studying the shit out of Revis..