Burgin'

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Scruggy, Apr 25, 2008.

1. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

They just opened a Cookout where I live

Anybody been there?

2. The Predator

The Predator Active Member

They just opened a Red Robin in my town. Never been to one, but I'm going saturday. It's a chain so I'm keeping my expectations very limited. But if anyone has any recommendations off the menu, I'll take them into account.

3. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I'm Burgin after work tonight... heading to Fukuburger

Love this menu!!!

[​IMG]

4. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member

5. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

6. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

I ate a Baconator on Labor Day --

The next day, I went into labor. I became the proud father of a pungent brown infant. I named him Dave. It was a difficult delivery, but I knew when I lay eyes upon Dave, I had to raise him right. My best friend, HK, told me not to keep him -- it was unsanitary, he said. Obviously, he never experienced the joy and fierce protectiveness that fatherhood brings.

It took two grown men to hold me back, as HK flushed Dave into swirling oblivion. All the while I was screeching, "MY BABY! DON'T YOU TAKE MY BABY!"

I was inconsolable. I couldn't come to grips that Dave was gone, my beautiful aromatic boy. I prayed for solace and strength. I felt sick to my stomach, a deep churning of sadness within, a gripping feeling of... I rushed to the bathroom ... and a new child was born.

7. DHarris52

DHarris52 Active Member

Heart Attack Grill's Unofficial Spokesman Dies of Heart Attack

By John M. Glionna
    February 13, 2013, 2:46 p.m.

Irony is the main entrée in the news this week: An unofficial spokesman for the Heart Attack Grill in Las Vegas died of a heart attack Monday. John Alleman, 52, who scoffed at healthy heart warnings by waving in customers outside the downtown eatery while dressed as a hospital patient, is the second unpaid mascot to die in two years.

Alleman was taken off life support after suffering an attack last week while waiting at a bus stop in front of the diner. Though never on the payroll, Alleman came to the restaurant daily and encouraged passing tourists to try calorie-heavy offerings such as extra-fat milkshakes, Flatliner Fries cooked in lard and a Quadruple Bypass Burger that contains 9,982 calories.

The diner flaunts tongue-in-cheek health warnings and casts customers as patients. Eaters are given surgical gowns as they choose from a calorically extravagant menu.

The restaurant also uses the tagline: "Taste worth dying for."

Nobody is shaking their head over the death more than Jason Belland, the executive director of the Las Vegas division of the American Heart Assn.

“It’s a dark, cautionary tale,” Belland told the Los Angeles Times. “Heart disease is still the No. 1 cause of death in the U.S. Nutrition and what we put into our bodies plays significant role in the heart health of an individual.

“It’s difficult to see heart disease strike anyone, even those encouraging bad eating habits.”

But maybe, Belland said, Americans can see in Alleman’s death a wakeup call to recognize some startling statistics regarding heart disease.

For one, someone dies of a heart attack every 34 seconds in the U.S. Heart disease kills nearly 1 million people a year. Still, many Americans are in denial about their heart health, he said.

“The American Heart Assn. recently defined the ideal cardiovascular health and found that less than 1% of Americans fell into that category,” he told The Times. “Still, in surveys, more than 40% believe they are heart healthy. These are people who say ‘I know I’m overweight and I smoke, but continue to do it. They think ‘I’m OK,’ but they’re not OK.”

Belland, who is a vegetarian, says he has never been inside the Heart Attack Grill, even out of curiosity. One reason: the American Heart Assn. recently assisted in a documentary that reported some of the more outrageous menu items in the burger joint.

“People eat free there if they’re over 350 pounds,” Belland told The Times. “They sell unfiltered cigarettes. They sell milkshakes containing an entire stick of butter.”

Alleman and other regular customers chose not to heed the warnings, he said.

Owner Jon Basso told the Las Vegas Sun that Alleman “never missed a day, even on Christmas.” He eventually became an unofficial mascot for the restaurant, which features waitresses in nurse garb. His caricature as "patient John" became part of the restaurant’s marketing campaign.

Alleman wasn’t the first spokesman to pass away while promoting the grill. In 2011, 575-pound Blair River died at age 29, but friends say pneumonia may have been the cause of death.

In 2012, a man in his 40s was hospitalized after he began sweating and shaking while eating a 6,000-calorie Triple Bypass burger at the downtown Las Vegas restaurant, the Sun reported. Other diners thought the incident was a stunt and began taking pictures.

Basso said Alleman weighed about 180 pounds and his death showed that heart attacks can happen to anyone. He told the Sun that he would continue serving his high-calorie menu as long as the public has an appetite for the food.

Jennifer Merback, a spokeswoman for the Nevada and Utah chapters of the American Heart Assn., told The Times that she hopes Americans take heed of Alleman’s death.

“Our hearts go out to his family,” she said, “but the bottom line is that a heart-healthy lifestyle is a day-to-day thing.”

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-unofficial-spokesman-heart-attack-grill-dies-of-heart-attack-20130213,0,884319.story

RIP to one of the great Burgin' heroes of our generation.

8. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

man they're dropping like flies over there :(
    I still need to check that place oot!

9. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member

10. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

11. Chutzpah

Chutzpah Active Member

i tried a Heart Attack Grill burger back in 2008 when they were still based in Phoenix; the day i visited they weren't doing the whole wheelchair patient check-in thingie, but the "nurses" were indeed dressed as advertised.

since having moved back to the East coast, i'm starting to miss In-n-Out's Animal Style Fries

here on Staten Island, i typically get my Burger Fix from the new Five Guys down by the mall

12. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

13. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Dude it's lent... Monday can't get here fast enough. No burgin for the last 37 days.

14. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

Just came back from Israel. Thought you guys would appreciate the pic.

[​IMG]

15. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

They're opening a 5 Guys near me. What's the skinny on this place? Believe the hype or no?

16. Drew

Drew Active Member

It's solid. I prefer Shake Shack but you can't go wrong with Five Guys.

17. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

5 Guys is cool. Too expensive imo. Great fries

18. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

For me, 5 guys is solid if you want a normal cheeseburger with just lettuce and and ketchup or something. It becomes better once you start adding those toppings. The base burger itself is expensive, toppings are no additional charge. I usually go with a little bacon cheeseburger (little is one patty, normal is 2) with lettuce, grilled onions, jalapenos, hot sauce, and green peppers. I usually throw some other things to switch it up.

Cajun fries are great

19. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

I actually tried 5 guys for the first time a little over a month ago.
    Very impressive.
    I got the Double chee burg with bacon -- and I added grilled onions, shrooms, ketchup mayo, etc. I got the Cajun fries on the side. Had some peanuts while I waited...Really f'n good greasy sloppy burgin'!

Water to drink, cause I'm healthy like dat.

20. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

Zinburger?

Wine + Burgers