Really ESPN....

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by FlightBoys, Sep 3, 2013.

1. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Today's media is a sales department aiming to create discussion.

2. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

Manish Mehta
    Jets are certainly deficient in several areas, but they're not the worst team in the NFL. #nyj
    1:58PM EDT

yeah... when even HE has to call bullshit you know somethings wrong.

3. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

He is just giving his humble opinion just like U do every time U post on TGG & then many members consider your posts BS as well :sad:

4. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Steelers are a 6 or 7 win team.

5. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

The only thing that's gonna stop this media bullshit is a winning season ,we need it and we need it bad

6. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I personally love it that we're looked at with zero respect.
    All that matters is wins, not opinions.

7. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

I wonder how all the pundits would backtrack if they pull off a decent season.

They were wrong? Nope, they won't say that.

Rex has them playing above their heads? Nope, they have been calling for his head all offseason.

I'm guessing they would give all the credit to Idzik and MM, something about instilling a more Bellichik type locker room.

8. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Being ranked dead last has got to motivate the coaches and players. It may even put them over the top to beat Tampa. If so it surely helps the cause, that gives them a chance to enter the bye week at 4-5 (possible wins over Tampa, Buffalo, Pittsburgh and Tennessee) and if they sneak in another win (Cincinnati?) that's a winning record at the break which no one expects.

The coaching staff knows how important this game is given the toughness of their schedule early on, ESPN just gave them a great reason to exploit the us against the world card.

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

How could anybody, anybody not see this coming from ESPN? Probably the same will come from FOX and CBS as well. Of course it will be impossible to fire Rex if we win even 4 games.

10. cval

cval Well-Known Member

That can't be rt Sanchez was the QB and the worst Qb in the history of the game.

11. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

I wasn't aware football was played on paper. Everyone has an opinion, can't wait for week 1 though. I'm just happy that football is back.

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Tapatalk 2

12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I seem to remember last year they gave the Colts 4 wins because of a rookie QB and lack of talent around him. Not sure but they were not too hot on the Redskins either till both QB exploded then they changed their tune and got on the and wagon.

I'm not saying we will be have a similar situation with Geno, but Im referring to the absolute lack of credibility those predictions have.

We have a better team than people give us credit for. Let them gloat for now. Can wait when the D stuffs a QB or two for a big loss.

13. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

The Bengals were predicted to be the worst team 2 years ago, Colts were predicted to be the worst last year.

NFL season is so short, anything is possible for all 32 teams.

14. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Jets and Browns are ridiculously undervalued.

Too bad ESPN doesn't set point spreads or we could make some serious money.

15. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

He did play, leading Sparano's ill-fated Wildcat. (In effect, he was less a QB and more of a running back who would take direct snaps at random times in games and then run for 2 - 4 yards.) That distracted the team a bit, and made it harder for the offense to build up the momentum of drives. It was also a big media distraction because everyone was wondering when Tebow would start, and that probably hurt Sanchez's confidence.

The fact is that it's just too soon to be able to say whether the offense will be better or worse than last year. The main reason I think it will be better is that last year it was just about the worst in every category, in the pre-season, and in the regular season. This year, the offense's pre-season stats have been near the top, which gives some hope that in the regular season they won't be at the absolute bottom again.

The WR situation is a lot better this year than last year - we should be able to get more games out of Holmes than last year, Kerley has had another year to develop and is considered a "secret superstar" by Pro Football Focus, Hill appears to be much less raw than his rookie year and much more sure-handed, Spadola has shown that he can potentially be a solid performer at the NFL level, and Gates as shown NFL-caliber talent and that he can help on special teams. Last year, the Jets had to recruit guys off the street at WR, and it was undoubtably the worst WR corps in the league after Holmes was injured. If Holmes has fully recovered and if Hill is as good as he seemed to be in the pre-season, and Kerley is Kerley, the main WR set should be at least average, which is a huge upgrade from "clearly the worst in the league".

The O-line could regress with all the new faces, and if there are any injuries, look out, it'll become bad. But last year it was one of the top rated O-lines by Pro Football Focus. Mangold does an amazing job at picking up blitzes and leading the O-line, and Ferguson does an amazing job at protecting the QB's blind side. Last year they were good at opening holes for Greene, who actually had a 1,000+ yard season despite being literally the least elusive back in the NFL. Although the running game struggled in the pre-season, the starting O-line should end up being at least okay at opening holes, and if so you'll see the new RBs plus Powell do at least a mediocre job in the running game, which will help us run down the clock when we manage to get ahead, which takes some pressure off of the QB. 11 of the sacks the O-line gave up last year were in ONE game where McElroy started- about 25% of the total sacks allowed the entire season, so that also skewed the stats against the O-line. Also, Sanchez would take longer to throw the ball because the WRs often weren't able to get open- so some of the bad performances were more due to the WRs.

At TE, Kellen Winslow Jr seems like a solid pickup. He graded out at being slightly above average at pass blocking, which is normally his big weakness, so that should keep him on the field more often, allowing him to rack up more catches, which should be important since those short passes can help build up Smith's confidence levels.

Smith is the big question mark on offense. It's possible that he would be even worse than Sanchez, but IMO you can only judge him so much off of one pre-season game where he was playing with an injured ankle. He seemed to be winning the QB competition before his injury, which is now apparently recovered, so it's certainly possible that he will be much better in Week 1 than he was in pre-season game 3. Is he the next Andrew Luck? No. Will he be as accurate as RGIII? No. Will he post a QBR in the mid to upper-70s? I haven't seen anything to make me believe that won't happen- at this point I think he was just made to practice and play on an injured ankle, so there's still a good chance that he can have a Ryan Tannehill type rookie season.

Coaching staff-wise, we have Marty instead of Sparano at OC, which is a huge upgrade.

Defensively, Pettine is out, and Rex is back doing the playcalling and running the style of defense that he wants to run. Rex will call many more blitzes, and that helped the Jets have an excellent defense in '09 and '10. That should allow much more pressure on opposing QBs, mitigating deficiencies at safety. We've got some younger and faster linebackers now, which could be a slight upgrade there. Wilkerson has emerged as one of the best in the league at what he does, and Richardson looks ready to contribute from Week 1. Between Snacks and Ellis, we should have much better performance against the run, since Pouha was playing injured most of last year. (Ellis seems to have his own back injury now, after showing off in the weight room, but it's not clear how bad that injury is and if he's being kept out of practice more as a precaution.)

Revis is gone, although he was injured early last year and was a non-factor overall, so in that regard the CBs are not worse than they were last year. Safety is still a worrying position, and should regress a bit from last year's unexpected Pro Bowl performance by LaRon Landry. (The Jets did a great job of keeping him injury-free by putting him on a "pitch count" and just trusting that he'd be ready for games with less practice.) Coples's absence for the first few weeks will definitely hurt the pass rush, but in Rex's schemes, it's more about misdirection and confusion, rather than having one guy who you know will be rushing the passer almost every time he's on the field. In other words- the pressure and sacks aren't ultra-reliant on any one guy, so it shouldn't massively hurt the defense overall if Coples isn't available until Week 3 or 4.

Special Teams had a lot of issues with fumbling last year- McKnight was pretty bad about fumbling, despite his major successes. Overall, I'd expect an improvement this year despite Westy being replaced with his main student, because there should be less fumbling this year with a more sure-handed guy handling return duties. The Jets' big problem was turnovers, and anything that diminishes turnovers should help the Jets quite a lot overall.

I could see the Jets collapsing- if Smith plays significantly worse than 2012 Sanchez and the other QBs are just as bad. That's somewhat difficult to do, but between Brady Quinn, Sanchez, and Simms, it would be possible that one of those guys would be able to play well enough for us to have a 7 or 8 win season by shuffling through different QB options, if Smith is as bad as the media says.

If all the QBs are bad, it is possible the Jets could only win 5 games; but I think the Titans, Raiders, and Bills games, really that should be 3 or 4 wins right there, and I just can't see us winning fewer than 5 games this season, even if we have the worst QB performance in the league and even if the defense regresses. (If that does happen, Rex will be fired, and we will have to deal with a major overhaul rebuild. The new HC will use the 2nd or 3rd overall pick to draft Bridgewater, and Idzik will use the 11 draft picks we'll have next year to continue laying a foundation for 2015, and maybe by 2016 we would be playoff contenders as Tom Brady nears his 40th birthday.)

On the bright side, it's possible that Smith will play decently, "only" average 1 turnover per game, and with a resurgent Rex Ryan defense and at least one of the new RBs being above average, we could end up with an 8 or 9 win season and actually end up in the playoff conversation towards the end of the season. In that scenario, we don't have quite as much rebuilding to do and we can use the 1st round pick for a potentially elite WR or TE to build up the offense.

Then there's also the very remote chance that Smith is great right from the start, and if that happened the Jets could shock the NFL and win 10 or 11 games, especially if some of the dominant teams from last year regress a little - but I think there is a low single-digit % chance that that will happen, so I'm going to round that down to 0% and assume that it won't happen.

Regardless, I'm excited for the season to start, and very interested to see how things unfold. Don't get your hopes up for the playoffs, but do expect the Jets to prove that they aren't the incompetent trainwreck that Mehta and the other clowns set them out to be.

16. Elephant

Elephant New Member

espn stinks now

I put on FS1 if I want highlites of various sports all within an hour's time

17. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

This is the most disrespectful thing yet. There's no way we're the worst team in the NFL.

18. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Last time we were 8-8 we got Wilkerson.......

19. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

6 Worst teams are in the AFC.
    4 Teams are in the middle
    6 Are playoff bound

A wildcard will be won by an average, if not bad team.

20. jets4life2007

jets4life2007 Banned

Damn---that's one helleva narrative! Well played, Sir and you're a TRUE FAN!