NFL.com: Mark Sanchez unlikely to play week 1

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jeti, Aug 29, 2013.

1. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I hope Geno plays well and continues to progress. He'll improve but it won't be overnight it will take time so we must be patient. On another note when your QB situation is as muddled as the Jets are you can't truly dismiss any options. Simms made the most of his opportunities and that's all you can ask for. Before guys like Brady and Wilson became starters they tore up 3rd stringers themselves. If Geno falters I wouldn't be against seeing what we have in Simms.

2. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Winning definitely will cure everything. The problem is with losing I feel like many will revert to knee-jerk reactions and unfair comparisons, on both sides. You'll have the pro-Sanchez people saying that we'd have a better record with Sanchez at QB and you'll have everyone else saying he'd be just as bad or worse.

I couldn't care less who was taking the snaps if we're winning. Well, maybe not the re-animated corpse of Hitler or something but other than that I'm good with whatever as long as we're putting up some wins.

3. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

if Geno comes out and shines brightly - great, but I just don't see it happening. I think NFL defenses will confuse him, teams will crowd the line and take away what he does best - screen passes, and he said last night he isn't even 100% from his ankle. So starting a gimpy rookie QB at home with an angry fan base? Not a good mix.

Also love the lines in reports -- Smith stood near Marty and had an earpiece in to listen to calls. Umm Sanchez had in the earpiece also. I think Smith stood next to Marty because his grasp of the offense is way behind where Sanchez is.

#83 85inthehall, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  4. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

I never realized that the distance a QB stands form his Offensive Coordinator is directly connected to how well he understands the offense. Interesting.

5. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

On a positive note, it will be so nice to watch someone who actually knows how to throw a screen pass.

6. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

I just got an alert that Geno is the probable starter Week 1.

7. TB284

TB284 New Member

The guys playing under coordinators that sit up in the press box could probably handle the play calling themselves, I guess.

8. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

This is an epic disaster Geno isn't ready yet and he is gonna be staring down Revis Island I feel a 7 int game coming for Geno

9. LongIslandBlitz

This is a major problem, if Geno stinks up the joint (witch he will do) you can't pull ur rookie week 3 and put him back in again later on or next season without totally ruining his confidence.I hope Rex is happy playing Sanchez for no reason in the 4 th qtr

10. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

You can't start him then sit him. If Geno starts he stays the starter.

11. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I wholeheartedly disagree with this, in both principle and practice. This is the kind of thinking that had us in bed with Sanchez for far too long. Nobody is above getting benched. Nobody. If he plays even marginally well, he keeps his job. But if he is simply untenable as a starting quarterback, there is no shame in sitting him and admitting what would at that point be obvious to everyone: That he simply wasn't ready to take over.

12. LongIslandBlitz

Completley untrue ,Rexs job is on the line you think he cares about letting Geno start if he's not ready,Geno will be out by game 3 if Sanchez is ready and Geno looks bad.On a side note Holmes and Sanchez will both be back on week 3 so

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It is kind of a novel idea. The Jets might actually start a rookie QB with other people in the wings ready to come in and make him sit some when he makes mistakes.

This was SOP for NFL teams just a decade ago. It was how most teams that did not have Peyton Manning on tap handled the rookie transition at QB when they decided to play a rookie his first year instead of signing a safe vet to take the snaps while the rookie learned.

14. Section316

Section316 Active Member

If playing poorly as a rookie, and subsequently getting pulled ruins a player's confidence and leads to an inability to improve as a more seasoned rookie, or a sophomore, then that player was likely going to suck no matter what.

I would expect that either Geno has the ability to handle being benched if he deserves it without being "ruined", or if he can't he's a mentally fragile loser who will have to be replaced in next year's draft anyway.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

^. The player the Jets don't know enough about at this point is Geno Smith. Everybody else they have enough information on to know what they're getting when they play them at QB.

Simms chance to be an NFL starter is that he either goes someplace and establishes a track record that suggests it would be worhtwhile giving him a real shot or that he sticks as a backup someplace and then the starter gets hurt and he comes in and plays well for an extended period of time after that.

16. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Well-Known Member

This is exactly how I feel. Let him play, let's see what we have.

17. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Oh, it can hurt. It can hurt plenty.

18. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

The problem with playing poorly is multiplied by being at home on opening day against a team with a crappy qb who we should beat. Smith will get booed all game, the crowd will beg for Simms and the headlines on Monday will be smith stinks . I don't thin smith can handle the negative press from day 1

19. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

No, he doesnt.

20. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Well, I can only hope for the best, but in reality I just don't believe Geno is anything more than a back up option, I hope he proves me wrong, cause I really can't stomach Nacho anymore