2013 Week 1 - Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ New York Jets Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by soxxx, Aug 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I think this game is very winnable. If our defensive line can get pressure on Freeman, he'll probably throw some picks. We need to find a groove running the ball. If we can run on them we'll be fine.

2. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

Jets home opener, Revis's first game back after a significant injury, Freeman looks like crap, and the entire TB team is dealing with a nasty staph infection.

I think we've got a decent chance to win.

3. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

If that were the case and the defense shut out the bucs for 59 minutes and all it took was a last minute field goal to win the game for the bucs, yeah that would be an OUTSTANDING defense, it would be the putrid offense that cost the game in such a circumstance.

4. 1968jetsfan

AS much as I think the Bucs will win the game it's the NFL and on any given Sunday even the worst team in the league can beat the best, granted the best team will win 80-90% of the time, but hey that 10-20% still makes it worth playing.

5. 518

518 Member

The Bucs made that trade with us to acquire Revis out of desperation to save their defense so that they can stay in games. I am not completely sold that the Bucs are "great" they have some potential however their QB position is extremely suspect. I highly doubt Josh Freeman comes out on fire in our house with our defense that is hungry to prove something. With the exception of the Wilson TD run, I saw a lot of promise in the Jets defensive unit. This game to me comes down to one simple formula. Jets need to score 21+ points or they lose the game. Plain and simple. Special teams has to give the Jets good field position and hopefully a couple of turnovers and the Jets can take it. I see a very low scoring close game that could really be determined by a FG. Why do you think Vegas has the Bucs by 2.5? If you think the Bucs are running away with this game you are on drugs.

6. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

If we're talking X and O's, then I think our D is slightly better than their defense. Revis only takes away one side of the field, and with an injured Holmes, we will have the seam and underneath routes all game long until they figure out we truly don't have a #1.

We just need to contain Martin and Freeman will throw us a couple of picks, which we NEED to desperately take advantage of. Also, assuming Sanchito is playing, I think our offense (because it's a new offense) the Buccs won't know what to expect.

Now, talking gut feeling, I've always loved going to our home-openers because we've kicked the shit out of some pretty good team on our home-opener since the Rex Ryan era. Last year all my buddies thought we'd get embarrassed by the Bills and I told them we would blow them out. By halftime, I was having the time of my life.

We win the home-opener 27-17

7. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

If it takes the Bucs "all game long" to figure that out we'll win by 40. And their entire coaching staff should be fired in the third quarter.

8. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

Precisely. So we win the football game and the game of Life.

9. 1968jetsfan

True about Revis, but he's not the only defensive upgrade the Bucs made in the offseason. They basically rebuilt their secondary in the offseason and made changes elsewhere to try to improve an anemic pass rush. Problem is the Buc's defense doesn't have to be great, I don't expect the jets offense to comeout out on fire, after all.....The Jets have QB issues of their own and a weak running game.

10. cantwait57

cantwait57 Member

I'm sure as previously mentioned, this game will come down to the Jets defense stopping Doug Martin.

11. BookEndTackles 72&79

This is one of the most winnable games on the schedule. I'd be disappointed if they didn't win and if they don't it will be a long, long year. The Bucs are not some juggernaut. Of course this guy gets his shot in on the Jets.

DANIEL WALLACE | Times
    Bucs coach Greg Schiano brings in the defense against the Dolphins on Saturday.

The misery feels familiar, like old swampland … that you have waded through before. For the Tampa Bay Bucs, there is nothing new about a preseason gone wrong.

Forever, it seems, there has been a quarterback off to a terrible start, whether his name was Josh Freeman or Trent Dilfer or Vinny Testaverde.

Forever, there has been a coach asking for calm amid the chaos, whether he was Greg Schiano or Richard Williamson or Tony Dungy. What the heck else is he going to say in the preseason?

Forever, it seems, the Bucs have been a franchise that wanted you to somehow believe that the upcoming season was going to be better than the previous one despite the evidence of preseason games.

This? As ugly as it feels, this is merely the latest chapter.

Granted, as preseasons go, it has been a barefoot stroll through a garbage dump. Freeman looks listless, and the wide receivers are invisible, and there is no pass rush. There is infection in the building, and for that matter, in the playbook. Doug Martin has been kicked in the head, and no one has seen Darrelle Revis. The Bucs are 1-2, but for all that counts, they are 0-3.

At this point, about the best thing you can say about the Bucs is this: They aren't the Jets, which proves that everyone has someone to look down on. (The Jets, by the way, look down on the University of Kentucky.) In New York, they are already calling for the head of Rex Ryan. The rest of him, too.

So relax. It could get worse.

12. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Well-Known Member

Yeah, he played poorly for three quarters in a preseason game. We'll be lucky if he throws for 200 yards in his career.

13. Ted

Ted Member

Sorry guys but with Geno Smith starting I don't see anyway in the world you can win. The match ups favor the Bucs. They have a solid running game, the Jets struggled against the run. The have a strong run defense, they'll make Geno beat them through the air.
    Granted anything can happen but the odds favor the Bucs here.

14. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

I agree, this is a very bad matchup for us. I like our odds more against the Patriots week 2 then the Bucs week 1.

15. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

i just hope dee and cro will play in this game

16. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

i guess im the only one that thought the run defense looked good in the giants game

17. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Looking forward to seeing Darrin Walls push for the #2/3 CB spot tonight.

edit: Ooops wrong thread, Beagles

#57 gustoonarmy, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  18. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

And so it begins...I think the media have gotten their blood donations into whatever voodoo god they believe in because if the Jets beat Tampa, which I believe they will, their entire "shtick" and credibility will be shot to hell...the Jets will be 1-0!

This game is MORE than winnable. I have watched all three of Tampa's preseason games...with emphasis on the third. Their offense is just about as, if not more so, a mess as ours. Believe it or not their QB situation might ACTUALLY be worse than ours. Freeman has just never been able to put it together.

The difference is defenses...ours is better than theirs. You saw that correctly. Revis hasn't played...he's coming in literally off a full year without playing...needless to say he is quite capable of putting up a stinker as he gets his wheels back under him...it certainly happened when he was with us. That not withstanding, our offense is capable of moving the ball on their defense. The same cannot be said about their offense to our defense.

To be quite honest, I would be mildly shocked if we do NOT win this game. The Jets are going to come into this thing, no matter who is under center, with a MASSIVE chip on their shoulders. All off season...all preseason these guys have been getting shit on...by just about everyone. I think they come out and make a statement. I think they come out and ROLL Tampa. You heard it here first!

19. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I think we will win. I am not sold on Freeman and I think we are capable of containing Doug Martin. Both teams' defenses are much better than their offenses so it should be a low scoring game though.

20. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Yes, he is. Thats what makes RexKotites decision to play Sanchez behind Peterman against the Giants so damning.

Geno had lost the Job, and you put your starter in, behind a guy that is auditioning for Emergency center.

Inexcusable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.