This Board Is full of Chicken Littles

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joe Willie White Shoes, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

This board is the ultimate example of panic, rush to judgement, pessimism, and overreaction. People are acting as if the decision as to the starting QB for TB will mean that QB will be the starter all season. People are forgetting that the season is a marathon with ebbs and flows. People are putting way too much stock in the performance of a rookie QB in his first start in a preseason game. People are forgetting how misleading and irrelevant the preseason becomes once the season starts. People are ignoring how team and player performances vary from week to week. People are overreacting to the decision to play Sanchez late in the game that led to his injury. In one play Sanchez went from the most criticized and vilified player on the team to the most valuable. How did that happen? People are firing the coach in August.

The Jets are not making the playoffs. This is a rebuilding year. So why the panic? Jets fans need to ignore the local and national media and see for ourselves how this team performs from September into January. Nothing in the NFL was ever won in August. I can't even read this board after the Giants game. Endless posts of doom and gloom, of Smith is a bust, of amateur analyses of Smith's mechanics from people who watch games on their couches, of calls for Ryan's job before a single game is played, of desperate calls for McElroy to be the QB, forgetting how poorly he played last year, to calls for a below average college QB (Simms) to win the job based on a strong arm and some garbage time drives in preseason games and because he isn't named Smith or Sanchez.

I'm going to wait until November or so before I pass judgement on this team. What if the Jets start 1-6 and finish 8-8? What if some other players at other positions step up? As usual, on this board it is all about the QB and it is all about deciding who is the future QB based on a ridiculously limited sampling. People are already talking about QBs to draft in 2014, as if Smith's fate is sealed and these college QBs are all future Pro Bowlers. There are multiple threads talking about Ryan's replacement. It is comical and sad and sickening at the same time.

#1 Joe Willie White Shoes, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
    Jets69 likes this.
  2. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

Well put. This treatise embodies all that I feel...

GO JETS!!!!

3. lamont_jordan_rules

many of us understand 2013 is going to be a work in progress year.

I personally am more inclined (discounting the shoulder injury keeping sanchez out week 1) to have geno take over sometime around the bye week ... many people would call that being chicken for not throwing him in to take his lumps all year long

I am happy to have MM (who has brought favre, steve young, that gay san fran qb ... forget his name, vick, & mcnabb to the probowl ) ... to be the guy who decides when Geno is able to handle the pressure of being THE GUY

4. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Correct.

The cult of the panic stricken bridge jumpers holds nightly services here worshipping at the feet of their high priests of overwrought alarmist negativity and idiocy: mehta and cimini....

5. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Active Member

Haha! Well put.

6. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

No such thing as rebuilding in the NFL, all 32 teams are capable of making the playoffs. All teams have 22 starters who are all NFL worth talent. The season is 16 games long, not 162. Year after year so called undertalented teams make the playoffs while talented teams don't

I'm excited for this year, ill take the season week by week and see where we go. Talent isn't the biggest factor, good coaching is always the most important factor on my list.

7. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. I am not panicking.

2. I have said times and again. This season should go to Sanchez - and Jets should do very well to protect Geno.

3. What irked me most from the 3rd game is NOT how Geno's stat sheet looks like. It's about his actual fundamentals and throwing mechanics. He has a LOT of ground to cover in two weeks to become an effective starter. Ain't happening in this season.

8. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I'm not one of those panicked jet fans ,I see the trees thru the forest and when we make it to 9-7 I'll be proven right

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

As long as you recognize that you're setting yourself up and if the Jets have a down year it's not because they're doing something wrong, it's because they did something wrong over the last half dozen seasons.

There are maybe 20 teams that are playoff capable most seasons. Every now and then a total wildcard gets in because an entire division sucked and the wrong 8-8 team made the playoffs.

Rebuilding is a state that at least a half dozen teams are in each season and a few perpetually.

10. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

I believe if Sanchez is at QB this team can stay alive in the first half and make a run against a much softer 2nd half. They need to be no worse than 2-2 after 4. If they can go 3-1 they can probably escape the 1st half at 5-4 -- 4-5 at worst. Question is if Sanchez is QB is that enough to keep him at starter to go against a second half that features only 1 playoff team from last year -- and that Ravens team is looking very different this season.

Tampa Bay
    New England
    Buffalo
    Tennessee
    Atlanta
    Pittsburgh
    New England
    Cincinnati
    New Orleans
    Buffalo
    Baltimore
    Miami
    Oakland
    Carolina
    Cleveland
    Miami

11. Ghost of 69

Ghost of 69 Guest

Nobodys in a panic, and nobody's gonna jump off a bridge. Jets fans country wide are in deep funk due to the results of the past few years. A once proud organization has been reduced to media mockery. Blame who you want. Most here put the blame where its most deserved...in the coach, the GM, and QB. Crappy drafts. A tard owner. If you wanna feel good about what you've seen so far this year...fine. If you've got some fortune telling magic lamp to see who's going to improve their game exponentially from what we've already seen...fine...share the info. We're not all satisfied with 6-10, 8-8. If you strive for mediocrity, bingo...you're there. Rebuilding year?...pffft. I wish it looked like a rebuilding year. A rebuilding year starts with a leader and you rebuild around him...who is that anyway?

12. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Welcome to the internet.

13. Richiebsweet

Richiebsweet Active Member

Well said...it's way to early to critique or go overboard on anything when the regular season has not even started yet!!

Is it week 10 yet?!?! My goodness.

14. Vanbiesbrouck

Vanbiesbrouck Active Member

Jets fans do over-react, and tend towards the negative. But, look at the clown show this franchise has been off and on for the last 30 years. It's not like they haven't given the fans a reason. If we had Parcells in charge and the organization was run well, even off of a 6-10 year, we'd be a lot more chill. We'd still be Jets fans, and pulling the 'woe is me' routine, but we'd be hanging in there for the most part.

Instead, after a year of buttfumble and Tebow coming out of our ears, we're twice (10x?) as negative and melodramatic as we used to be, which was pretty bad to begin with.

I'm not a big Fireman Ed guy, but things got so bad last year that the fan base literally turned on each other. Not a good sign. Even if you think he was an egomaniac...do you know how hard you have to beat down an egomaniac to get him to STOP showing up to someplace where 75,000 people pay attention to him for 3 hours? Think about that for a second.

You can blame the fan base for that, but, do the Yankees have that problem? No, but the Mets do. Many of the exact same guys that 'woe is me' the Jets are fans of either of those baseball teams. But we treat the Yankees & Jets differently, or the Mets & Jets the same, based on how "good" they are at running the franchise we all care so much about. Fans are sometimes to blame, but it doesn't come from nowhere. In our case, I think the shit show in the front office & on the field is responsible for at least 1/2 of our problems.

After a hall of fame decade worth of production and hero worship, NY fans booed Mickey Mantle at the end of his career when he was a drunk that couldn't hit .250. Harsh, but it happens. So, they are going to boo Mark Sanchez when he butt-fumbles, or when he lets the damn clock expire at halftime instead of kicking a field goal, even if it is "just a preseason game".

People forget though, no one shows up to boo. Go back to the first game vs. the Bills last year. After looking awful in the pre-season, we got a shitload of turnovers and won 48-28. No one was showing up just to boo that day, and anyone who was booing at halftime of the Thanksgiving game, was cheering like a bastard in week 1 when we were up 27-7 at the half.

I remember as a kid watching games in the 80s with 30,000 empty seats, and people with bags on their heads. I remember watching Bruce Coslett's daughter carry the headset cord around, wondering if she knew more about football than her dad did. I try not to remember anything labled "Kotite."

So, I can root for Smith or pray that Sanchez turns it around, but I can't pretend like I don't have the history of this team kicking me in the nuts all the time, because I do. I think we all do. (or most of us).

You just can't take the negative shit too personally. I hope for the best, prepare for the facepalm, and hope that it all turns out ok. If Sanchez turns into Matt Ryan this year, great. If Geno Smith turns into Russell Wilson, great. I'm not rooting against either of those guys. But if they suck, they have to learn to live with it, because this is New York. I'm not paying Sanchez $ 8m a year to feel good, I'm paying him to win.

As Harry Truman said (though, about DC), 'If you want a friend, get a dog'.

15. Gator

Gator Active Member

You do a lot of these type posts. Wah wah the whole board is this and I'm the shining beacon. Maybe you don't know shit either. :)

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Hey JWWS, why don't you find a thought that doesn't require 15 paragraphs and talk down to pretty much 80% of the forum?

You make some pretty good posts when you aren't trying to teach half the internet a lesson.

17. BrooklynJet97

BrooklynJet97 Active Member

Rebuilding? Ha! Fuck that noise.

Every year is a one to kick ample amounts of ass.

I always believe my team is good. These green colored classes are fucking awesome.

Sorry, what im trying to say is that I believe we will be much better than what people see on paper. Were already a better team statistically, in the preseason, than we were last year. Geno or Sanchez, I got way too much faith, but damn me if I ever lose it.

18. LongIslandBlitz

I'm still trying to figure out what possesed you to use the phrase "Chicken Littles"

19. LongIslandBlitz

Me to it's hard not to,I would make the thread "Whos ready for a Jets home Superbowl!!!"but I'd get laughed out of the forum

20. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

:beer: fk ya!