Dan Carpenter Former Dolphins Kicker (Update: Cut)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jay Bizniss, Aug 15, 2013.

1. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Why Not ??? would you prefer as "lousy as last season or worse than last season"

Better is always better. Not sure why you are against getting better.

2. 34miami23

34miami23 Active Member

:grin: haha I'd post a funny pic as a "thank you" but I'd be editing the post until the year 2024

3. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

That's why the Jets signed Folk - with the hope that he would return to form from his Dallas days. I'm tired of kicking reclamation projects.

4. Petey

Petey Active Member

Not to be 'that guy', but does it matter? The Jets aren't a kicker away from being a playoff team. To me, it's low risk-high reward. If Carpenter sucks, it doesn't kill the season. If Carpenter returns to form, you have a solid kicker on your hands and hopefully you can keep him for when the team's competitive again.

5. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

Hope he wins the job and returns the favor by twice blowing a game against us!

Fuck this guy.

6. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I wonder what this means for Folk this late in the pre season,It can't be good when they bring in a veteran kicker 2 weeks before the season,my guess is if Carpenter is on point in Thursdays game and makes a few nice kicks the job is his

7. LongIslandBlitz

Never devalue the importance of a good kicker Championships have been won and lost because of kickers ,Just ask Bills and Ravens fans

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Please enlighten us on the best path to finding an automatic kicker. You're already used to schooling the masses, so it shouldn't be a stretch.

9. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Kickalicious is pretty much automatic and he got cut by Detroit. I cannot fathom why we wouldn't bring him in here instead of trying to see how much tread was left on dan carpenter - seriously why not bring in Rugland (aka kickalicious) ??? Does he ever miss??? This dude is going to be a top 10 kicker this season w/the team that is smart enough to sign him. Apparently neither detroit or nyj are smart enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDwbjHV8jLo

#69 AbdulSalam, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  10. LongIslandBlitz

He was drilling 50 plus yard field goals for the Lions in the pre season I'm surprised they cut him he looked like a natural

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Maybe it is because that the guy has never actually been a kicker for an NFL team, and also his only fucking resume is on YouTube.

It's not they they aren't smart enough. It's that you are dumb enough.

12. xeticus

xeticus Member

This is the truth. He costs too much and he lost us two games last year. Dolphins would have had a 9-7 record last year instead of 7-9. He has definitely lost his leg. Over 40 yards you have to hope and pray.

13. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

That is one helluva a youtube video resume however + he didn't miss any kicks for the Lions in Preseason. I guess I'm dumb enough to know that somebody who can routinely hit from beyond 40 and even 50 is a good bet over a retread who cannot hit w/consistency over 40.

14. Petey

Petey Active Member

But that's my point. The Jets aren't going to be a championship team so I don't feel strongly about the signing one way or another. I totally agree that kickers have incredible value for teams with championship aspirations.

15. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

And the Cheatriots

I completely agree with your philosophy. However, he hasn't missed since he's stepped on an NFL feild. Not that dropping folk for this guy is a great idea because Folk' experience trumps Ruglands, but maybe a futures contract? Don't know if that's even possible. Its worth trying him out over Carpenter for the last P-S game.

[​IMG]

16. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Weren't we the first team in the states to try him out?

I had forgotten about him. I would have liked to see him kick for Detroit in the preseason. Was he also handling kick-offs?

Based on the video, he might be better suited for a league where the goal posts slide back and forth along the back of the end zone.

17. joe

joe Well-Known Member

While this is a small sample, fwiw, according to www.azcentral.com, Carpenter didn't impress on his one and only day of practice with the Cardinals on Friday and did not perform well in warmups on Saturday in preparation for the Cards - Chargers game.

In the game itself he had his only FG attempt blocked, a 26 yard chip shot. Television replays (again according to AzCentral) didn't show whether the kick was low or if it was a protection breakdown <--- kinda odd that a replay would be inconclusive.

That said, in watching Folk, the one thing that stood out between him and Cundiff was that the angle of ascent in Folk's kicks were noticeably greater than Cundiff's, i.e. he got his kicks "up" quicker.

18. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

if your kicker costs you a game or 2 in the regular season, yeah it matters....folk has yet to cost us games, and in fact has been money in pressure situations for us.

I see no reason to cut him.

19. Capt. Ace Nick

I hope this guy isn't like his mother Karen and choke......

.....anyone born after 1990 will have no clue about this.

20. NewYorkEveryThing

Rugland should try an get a collage scholarship at a D1 school if he is still young enough.