Buffalo Bills training camp report

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by BuffaloPhysco, Aug 1, 2013.

1. BuffaloPhysco

BuffaloPhysco Member

I still believe the division is literally wide open this year.

2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I agree, EJ is the better choice over Kolb. And just like the Jets with Simms and McElroy, the Bills should probably just let Tuel (and maybe a pickup) ride out the rest of the preseason storm then plug in Manuel vs. NE week #1.

3. Jetdic

Jetdic Active Member

Since Manuel didn't throw any INTs this Summer, he's due for a monsoon of them in the regular season. Statistically speaking....

4. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

I hope so.

5. MoWilkNYJ

MoWilkNYJ Well-Known Member

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

So you are dead wrong about Kolb and wrong about Manuel too now.

Tuel is the Matt Simms of Buffalo. I'd start Leinart on 2 weeks with the playbook before I threw Tuel out there week 1. That's going to be a tough one to watch. A fired up Pats team vs. a practice squad QB

7. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

At the time I made my post it wasn't even reported yet that Kolb had a concussion.

Manuel will be fine for week 1. If he is not, Tuel is a better option than Leinart. He knows the offense and has played well this preseason.

I'm not worried about QB because I still think Manuel will start week 1. The real concern is that Gilmore is out 6-8 weeks. One of the best corners in the game. That one hurts, especially because we have no one behind him.

8. Jetdic

Jetdic Active Member

Tuel isn't a better option than anyone. Brett Ratliff and David Clowney looked great against 3rd stringers in the Preseason too.

Gilmore is the best option in the Bills backfield but to say he's one of the best in the league is a stretch.

9. Jay Bizniss

One of the best corners of the game?? Gilmore?? Lol

10. 34miami23

34miami23 Active Member

TUEL TIME BABY

[​IMG]

11. BuffaloPhysco

BuffaloPhysco Member

Depends on how we are defining top here. He's not top 5 (yet) but he's definitely top 10 and I would only take Patrick Peterson or Revis over him in the league right now. Dude has a high ceiling.

12. Jay Bizniss

In no specific order: Joe Haden, Champ Bailey, Antonio Cromartie, Charles Tillman, Brandon Flowers, Richard Sherman, Dee Milliner will be better, Asante Samuel, Antoine Winfield, Leon Hall, Tramon Williams, Ladarius Webb, Devin McCourty, Kyle Arrington......

Cmon man..

13. 34miami23

34miami23 Active Member

^^ Brent Grimes was a top 5 corner in 2011 and was injured last year ... seems to have fully recovered

14. Jay Bizniss

Yup.. And I probably missed about 20 more who could be on that list..

15. BuffaloPhysco

BuffaloPhysco Member

Joe Haden and maybe Sherman are in the same boat but like I said as for potential and what he's shown so far I would only take Revis or Peterson. If you're arrogant enough to say Milliner will be better without ever playing a snap then I'm definitely aloud to say Gilmore is on the bubble of a top 7 CB.

16. Jay Bizniss

Champ Bailey or Antonio Cromartie aren't on the same boat as Gilmore? Really?

17. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Gotta agree with that Psycho. Milliner hasn't played a regular season snap and it would be a stretch to "rank" him aside from the fact that Milliner's also had his own 'soft cushion' coverage issues this preseason.

That said, "Gilmore's Island?"

Not yet, Ginger. Or is it Marianne? ;-)

Maybe instead refer to your Buffalo 'shutdown' corner as "Gilmore's Garden?" .....oops, that would be a NYC-based sports reference. Nevermind.

#97 joe, Aug 26, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  18. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

Those aren't my words, they're the words of just about every analyst who studies NFL game tape.

After about week 4 (where he struggled some to start the year), the Bills matched Gilmore up with the best WR on the opposing team that week. He shut down guys like Larry Fitzgerald. Did you know that for the final 11 weeks of the season, Gilmore did not allow a touchdown pass? That's going against the best of the best.

From Pre-Snap Reads:

Pre-snap reads watched every snap of every corner in the league, charting every play and doing a full study and analysis. What did they come up with? Gilmore is one of the best corners in the league.

http://presnapreads.com/2013/06/04/stephon-gilmore-an-elite-cornerback-lost-in-the-failings-of-the-buffalo-bills/

Entitled "Stephon Gilmore: An Elite Cornerback Lost in the Failings of Buffalo."

Some highlights from the long, in depth article:

From Rotoworld, on Gilmore's injury:

Another:

Pro Football Hot Reads was another group of analysts who called Gilmore "one of the best cornerbacks in the NFL." Oh, and add Greg Rosenthall from NFL.com to that list. He calls Gilmore "one of his favorite defensive players in the NFL."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000219212/article/making-the-leap-no-12-bills-cb-stephon-gilmore

Pro Football Focus shows the stats on Gilmore how his completion percentage allowed to opposing receivers was one of the lowest in the NFL over the last 11 games, allowing 0 touchdowns.

If you think Gilmore isn't one of the best corners in the NFL, then you aren't watching Bills games. It isn't me proclaiming this, its virtually every single analyst who studied his tape.

#98 Bills over Jets, Aug 26, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  19. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

lets see it in real action before we make these (perennial) dumb proclamations

20. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Man, I just don't see how the Jets could possibly beat the Bills in week 3.