Mohamed Massaquoi signed by Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jay Bizniss, Aug 22, 2013.

1. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I see no problem with this signing. While it's great to think about keeping young undrafted guys like Spadola and Rodgers it's hard to envision those players really having much of an impact. We see late round picks/UDFA's get hype all the time and then do nothing.

Massaquoi isn't anything special but he is probably better now then both Rodgers and Spadola and it's not like he is costing the Jets a lot.

I'd be perfectly fine going into the season with Hill, Kerley, Edwards, Massaquoi, and Gates until Holmes is ready. It's always good to have a good amount of veteran receivers to help break in a rookie QB.

2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

idzik staying true to his competition mantra.

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I'd be shocked if Rogers is on the roster instead of the practice squad. Same with Spadola really, although I think he's got a better shot of making the team than Rogers (and I'd like to keep him around). I think Edwards and Massaquoi round out the WR corps. I think we keep 7, especially if Holmes starts on the PUP.

4. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

Bringing guys in isn't just about seeing what they have - it's also about pushing the guys you already have.

A move like this puts everybody on the roster on notice that there is no time to exhale.

I like it. Every move has an impact even if it appears like a 'meh' move.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Sounds good. Rogers will go on the practice squad more than likely. So Braylon, Mass or Obomanu?

6. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

What if Holmes is retiring?

7. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

This singing does a few things.

1) Gives the Jets another Vet reciever to compete
    2) Is a clear indication that Holmes will be PUP'd, IMO
    3) Shows that they will continue to look at all options and upgrade when possiable
    4) Everybody is playing for their job each and every week

*I wish they would do this with running backs and bring in

Bennie Wells
    Michael Turner
    Kevin Smith
    Maybe even bring in Reggie Wells at RT for a look.

8. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

While I won't be drafting him in my fantasy football league any time soon I do like the move. I also think it either means Holmes is going on the PUP and/or Edwards is being cut...but we'll see what happens. I'm assuming he suits up against the Giants so hopefully we can see something of value from him.

9. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I'm interested in the cuts coming up

If Jermaine Kearse(WR) or Jeremy Lane(CB) are cut from Seattle I want them both

We need to take this year and let young guys get reps

Fuck vets with no upside

10. G-man

G-man New Member

Walter Football Scouting report from 2009
    Mohamed Massaquoi Scouting Report
    By Matt McGuire

Strengths: Solid height ... Very athletic when the ball is in the air; shows ability to adjust ... Excellent quickness ... Good timed speed ... Shows a little upside.

Weaknesses: Horrendous route runner ... Not tough and scared to go over the middle ... Terrible hands and drops passes ... Pathetic production statistically until late in his senior year (with one of the best quarterbacks in the country) ... Scrawny frame ... Does not show anything in terms of YAC despite great athleticism ... Did not improve much over college career in terms of technique ... Does not play hard ... Does not attack the football ... Does not show a love for the game on the field ... Not going to block.

Summary: I think anyone who rates this player as a second- or third-round guy needs to get a CAT scan. He has no football skills. He really did not produce until late in his senior year, and that is too late for me considering he has a top-three draft pick at quarterback. Outside chance he gets drafted in Rounds 3 or 4 (hey, if Jerome Simpson can go in round 2...), but I would not even spend a draft pick on him. He does not show many football skills. Massaquoi has bust written all over him.

Player Comparison: Freddie Mitchell. I will be completely shocked if Massaquoi lasts more than three years in the league, or does anything statistically.

11. Gang Greener

Gang Greener Member

I loved watching Massaquoi at GA. He had a solid senior year, but the all talk was about AJ Green's freshman year. He was reliable back then. I think he started like 11 games his rookie year with the Browns. He's got good size and speed. I feel like he can be a good possession WR in MM's system.

Massaquoi!

12. Another WR who doesn't play special teams.

That leads me to believe that he & Edwards will compete for one spo while Obamanu/Rogers fight for the other.

Gates is far above all these guys IMO.

13. G-man

G-man New Member

Gates is starting to remind me of McKnight. Wondering when the next hit will end his career. Some guys just can't stay healthy and head injuries are so unpredictable.

14. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Can't believe it took three hours and two pages, but someone has to say it:

Championship!

15. RLUCAS4137

RLUCAS4137 Member

Man I miss Jericho Cotchery

16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

1. Hill
    2. Edwards
    3. Kerley
    4. Massaquoi
    5. Spadola
    6. Gates

Looks good to me. Put Holmes on the PUP, who cares!

17. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

I think you flop Gates and Mass

18. RLUCAS4137

RLUCAS4137 Member

Agreed, I would like that.

Hill and Edwards on the outside would probably, at the very least, help create more potential big runs on the outside.

19. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

I think Walter was a little too harsh but Mass had a TON of drops in college (playin with Matthew Stafford - not exactly chopped liver) and he was inconsistent.

All that being said, why not kick the tires and see if he can get it together with a fresh start? I'm fine with the signing. Still wish we would have gotten Brandon Lloyd though.

20. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

man..someone needs to hire mark mcguire...this writer..full time..nice job on this analysis so far.

EDIT: REX SAYS EDWARDS HAS LEG INJURY

Just hears Edwards is hurt..probably the reason for reaching out for more receivers.

#40 jaywayne12, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013