Computer running slow or need some cleaning? Follow these steps!

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Green Dude, Feb 28, 2007.

1. wexy

wexy Member

Need a little help,please. Somehow my toolbar and address bar disappeared which I managed to get back. I have Firefox. Apparently a googlechrome sidebar thing one the bottom and while I was trying to get everything else back, I closed the sidebar and now I have 3/4 of my screen and can't get the full screen back.
    Suggestions? Thanks..

2. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

What is the best 500 GB SSD to get for price/bang-for-buck?

3. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Am I up shit creek here?

I have windows 7 ultimate and need to reinstall (long story) but can no longer read the product key.
    My question is this , is there a program that can find it for me? I have been into so many files I'm dizzy.

Any help appreciated.

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

You should be able to call Microsoft's activation line and talk to a live person. Tell them the story and see what they say.

5. gustoonarmy

*phew*

Work this out. I did just as you suggested already. The man/woman I talked to said my windows ultimate was a pirate copy, which actually came from a highly reputable store. I told him that, but nothing he could do.....etc...

So I have re-installed an old copy of windows 7 home premium, which I think is still pretty good.

Does anyone have windows 8 yet and is it any good?

6. Cman68

This happened to me a few years ago. I brought a pirated copy of Win7 64bit ultimate. Called Msoft and got the same answer you did. Paid the 2 bills for a good activation code and reloaded. Got my copy off the Inet too so I blame myself. I'm not ready for windows 8 yet. I don't have a touch screen and I don't plan to replace my monitor.

7. gustoonarmy

Ha ha, yep being an old man and still making mistakes....back of the class for me.
    Its funny I would consider myself fairly savvy when it comes to consumer rights and purchasing, but I got stung this time.
    I dodged a bullet there as well because I was going to purchase further codes.

I don't know anyone with W8 yet, all my friends are as old as I am...like our PCs :grin:

8. Cman68

I just built mine back in 2011 so I'm in no rush to add another Monitor just so I can touch it. :grin:

9. gustoonarmy

Not quite sure where to put this.

Twice now in 24hrs 'Norton' has blocked me connecting to the Jets forum from what they are saying is an attack from 'BLACKHOLE TOOLKIT WEBSITE 38'.
    Norton are saying that its a high risk site, any ideas on why I'm suddenly getting these alerts?
    If I refresh, oddly I get in with no warning

10. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

question guys. My wife brought home an older computer from her work LEGALLY lol and it has ESET? Virus protector from the company and when I go to run it, nothing happens. So I figure I would just uninstall it and add a new one. When I go to uninstall it, its asking me for my password...my guess is what the company used to protect her computers at work. Since they changed their computer people, she has no idea what the password is and now I cant take it out without that password. She sent an email to corporate but has had no response yet. Im sure during her conversion they had to have something.

Tried putting on AVG and it will not let me until I uninstall ESET. Any thoughts how to pass that by? Wait until she hears something back?

11. Cman68

Any chance of just dropping a new OS into it?

12. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Macbook Pro will solve all your problems.

13. Barcs

Barcs Banned

And you will surely overpay for it, as well as any time you need to upgrade or repair it.

#593 Barcs, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  14. Barcs

Barcs Banned

The first step is to make it so it doesn't start or run with windows. Click start and type MSCONFIG in the box. Check out everything that starts with the PC (services and startup tabs)and disable any the Eset references. After you do that, reboot the machine and see if it lets you uninstall it. Even if it still does not, you should be able to install another anti virus program like Avira (I hate AVG). There are more advanced methods of removing the software manually if you are interested but it's not the preferred method of removal. Generally speaking, if it's not running with the computer it's irrelevant. You could manually delete the program directory and then clean the registry afterwards, but I'd only do that if you have a decent understanding of what you are doing. Disable it from startup first and work from there. You may also need to check the START - PROGRAMS -STARTUP folder and see if any Eset stuff is there as well.

15. Jay Bizniss

I would rather spend the $1500 now and have a computer that I know is going to work fine for the next 5-7 years, instead of buying a new PC every 2 years. Upgrading it is the same as upgrading any other computer... RAM/HDD.

16. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

This is a false statement. You are again comparing apples to oranges. You are comparing a new MacBook Pro to an older version PC. The new uktrabooks are impressive as hell and will outlast 2 years by far, believe me.

The problem with the MacBook PC debate is that the comparison always falls with wrong examples. People love to say Mac is better than a PC, but when you have comparable models, they are very similar, many times PC better than Mac. You can't compare a $2000 MacBook to a $600 Toshiba. When you compare a $2000 MacBook with a $2000 ultrabook, the comparison is very similar.

I won't get into detail with that whole argument because it is a never ending debate but personally, I will never give apple a fuckin dime of my money. I live my Android phone, I love my bad ass aluminum unibody ultrabook. Fuck Apple and their overpriced bullshit :)

17. Jay Bizniss

I just have a preference for my iPhone and my Macbook Pro.. They both work great seamlessly together so I just stick with what works... And with my Mac if I really wanted to, I could run Windows..

18. Falco21

That's understandable. Just like I have a preference for Android and Windows. They sync together seamlessly.

I just don't like the people that claim a Mac will solve all your problems. Bullshit. A $2000 Mac will not save my $500 computer. I can buy 4 new ones before I reach the cost of one Mac. Now, I did pay right at $2000 for my ultrabook, but that's not the norm when it comes to an average pc user. Just as a majority of people buy Macs for aesthetic reasons, people buy PC's for ease of use and because schools were generated on a Windows platform.

As for reliability, if someone wanted a Windows, you buy a $2000 ultrabook that will walk stride for stride with a Mac. My ultrabook makes my girlfriends Mac look like a joke.

19. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

Why the fuck would you pay 2 grand for a computer unless that is your profession.

20. Falco21

Because I use it with everything I do. Graduate school, work, car tuning, everything. Are you really shocked that people spend $2000 on computers? Have you not seen prices of smart phones, tablets, TVs, home theater systems, etc.