2013/14 BPL, Gold Cup, WC Qualifying...etc sponsored by nyjunc

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Barry the Baptist, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Yeah, he def got paid but honestly I feel Donovan is a bit overrated by US fans. Sure he is good and at times has played phenominal but I also wonder how much better he could have been had he ever been able to stick it out in Germany. Remember how well he did in his loan with Everton a few years ago. I do think he was probably given a bum deal by Leverkusen as well but I look at a guy like Michael Bradley who I think is probably the best player we have and his career has taken off since he got to Roma. A few years ago I never would have said he was our best player but I think playing and doing it well against the best competition has turned him into an awesome midfielder.

I hope you are right about Dempsey but after yesterday and it might be premature but I have very high hopes for Johannson. He looks like he has the ability to create and I will be trying to keep tabs on him in Holland this year. We always seem to have strikers but our biggest question will always be the back 4.

2. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

An NFL coach in the Premiership - i thought this was pretty funny

[youtube]6KeG_i8CWE8[/youtube]

3. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

The only way the MLS gets guys. Like Beckham.

I wonder if it'll ever be a league that top players want to play in.

4. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

5. FirstTimeCaller

FirstTimeCaller Active Member

The article linked says those are 32 La Liga titles, which are domestic league championships. It's nothing at all like a MLB division. Only one team can win one each year. Why do you bother?

6. FirstTimeCaller

Pretty good first game for Jozy Altidore, had some good opportunities and he is playing with a lot of confidence.

I'd be interested in hearing everyones predictions for Jozy this year in EPL.... if the over/under is 10 goals. I'm going to give him the over, but just barely so maybe 11 or 12 goals this season.

7. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Dear junc

Please stop trolling this thread. League championships are nothing like winning a division in MLB. 18 to 22 teams play all year and there is only 1 champion. And there is only 1 champion every year. It is a much better system than what NFL has currently. In NFL crappy teams like NY Giants win Superbowls with 10-6 or 9-7 records. But in soccer you won't see a crappy team being crowned as champions.

8. Johnny English

Is he taking their penalties? Not many players from clubs at the end of the table that Hull are likely to be get into double figures unless they're the team's penalty taker.

9. wildthing202

wildthing202 Active Member

Yeah you just get a good team that didn't have any major injuries win.

10. FirstTimeCaller

He's unlikely to be taking PK's and I understand your point but 6 of the bottom 10 teams teams had guys 10+ last year and the 4 other teams had guys with 8,9, or 10 so I figured that 10 goals would be a good split for taking a bet. I'm guessing you're going to take the under.

11. Johnny English

Of those 6 who finished with more than ten goals though, how many of those were penalty and free kick takers? That's kind of my point - scoring double figures without having set pieces contribute is a hell of a performance in the Premier League, and especially playing for a team lower down the league which will create far less.

I haven't seen enough of him to make a fair assessment as to where he'll finish. I think Hull will struggle this year though, their midfield is incredibly pedestrian and Huddlestone and Livermore won't improve that - both are ponderously slow. At times yesterday Chelsea looked like they were playing against statues.

#331 Johnny English, Aug 19, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  12. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

When is Arsenal's board ever going to learn a lesson here?

13. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

He is playing for Sunderland.

14. Johnny English

Please don't go blowing holes in my statements by using facts. Although it would perhaps account for why, when I was trying to think what he had done of note in yesterday's match against Chelsea, I came up blank.

Still, Sunderland aren't going to be up to much this year, they're still a bottom eight side. That being said, their strikers are utter dog shit - Connor Wickham is one of the most overrated young players in years, and Fletcher is a plodder. Altidore might get a good run, which is generally what strikers need to find their touch.

15. ShadeTree#55

No problem, I thought you were taking the junc route.

Looks like the Manchester teams and Chelsea then everyone else. The 4th place spot will be the race to watch.

16. Barry the Baptist

And without a committed Suarez (or viable replacement) I don't see my Reds being in the race. My guess is Liverpool will be in the 6th-8th race. Essentially the good enough to never be considered for relegation but not good enough to do anything of note. Essentially the Dallas Cowboys of the BPL.

17. Barry the Baptist

Great first 30 minutes by Liverpool and not so great last 60 but Mignolet has made some big saves in the first 2 weeks to give us 6 points from our first 2 matches. Sturridge looked really good and Coutinho had some good moments but I really have to question if Liverpool has the ability to win games against the top sides. I guess we'll find out next match.

18. Barry the Baptist

Wow Cardiff City beats Man City.....didn't see that coming. First win for Cardiff City in the top flight since 1962.

19. ShadeTree#55

67000+ For Sounders vs Timbers

20. FirstTimeCaller

It's never going to work in the US. They must have inflated the numbers and filled it with Mexicans.