Breaking Bad

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jetophile, Mar 22, 2009.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

[YOUTUBE]3M6yoeOglNw[/YOUTUBE]

Surprised no one thought about this theory-wise.

Spock = Walt (Mr. Know it all)
    Kirk = Jesse (Walks away from the game early)
    Chekov = Hank (doesn't give up until it's too late)

Don't want to get too much into specifics - but I think that Star Trek thing was a foreshadowing.

2. Satire?

Satire? Guest

holy shit, that's thick. yeah, i totally zoned out during that whole conversation..

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Oh yeah me too, I had to watch the episode again to catch on that.

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

"I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS RUSSIAN IS DEFEATING ME!" :lol: Hilarious.

5. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

I was surprised to see that this thread was created by Jeto...

6. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

A couple of days ago Mythbuster had Breaking Bad special, did you catch it?

7. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I saw the Mythbuster special.

They tested the acid destroying a bathroom and they tested Walt throwing (I forget what it was called now) the crystal in Tuco's building and blowing it up.

They were both busted. The acid did get rid of a body and burn up the tub/floor, but it did not eat through the tub and floor.

The crystal did blow up, but it would have killed Walt and everyone else in the room, and it likely would not have blown up from Walt just throwing it.

I haven't watched too much Mythbusters, but it was a fun little episode.

8. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Same, I caught it too...Interesting show, but I only watched it because of Breaking bad

9. The Dark Knight

I have a thought: You know in the flash forward, when Walt says hi to their neighbor Carol, and she looks freaked out and drops her groceries? I wonder if she reacts that way because she knows he is the great Heisenberg or because she thought he was dead? She looked like she had seen a ghost. I don't know.

10. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

It's wasn't a reaction to a known criminal, it was to a known dead.
    I though about this too. My bet is that Walt ends up faking his death.

11. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

They got worse over the years, u think they're running out of the ideas. It was funny how they call obvious things "a secret ingredient". For anyone who cares to know, the additive to sulfuric acid was nitric acid, HNO3. 30% Nitric / Sulfuric solution dissolves gold.

12. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Why didnt they just say that? They kept calling it "special sauce"...lol

13. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

The official line is that they don't want to tell people how to dissolve bodies. News flash: people regularly produce dead bodies already know how to dissolve them :)

14. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Interesting point by both of you. At first I thought it was because she knew who he was, but now that you said it could because of the faked death, it makes sense. Interesting.

15. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

It's clear that everything about Heisenberg has come out by that point so it seems the fear of his atrocious deeds would have sent her into shell shock. Even if he were presumed dead based on an event from the upcoming episodes I think she would be thinking about the former at the moment she goes into full paralysis. She thinks he's going to say "Hi Carol. You have to die now because you've seen me, too bad. *Bang*. Maybe somewhere in the back of her head she'd have time to think "I really wish he was actually dead" too but it doesn't seem like a strong implication.

There's an interesting theory that Walt Kills Skyler based on the beginning of the flash forward at Denny's. Walt arranges the bacon into his new age as Skyler always did for him and on the way out of the restaurant the waitress calls him by Skyler's maiden name based on the fake ID. He always takes on traits of people he has killed. After killing Crazy 8 he starts cutting off the crusts on his own sandwiches. When he meets Mike at the bar he orders his whisky neat while Mike orders his on the rocks. After killing him Walt orders a whisky on the rocks. His car in the flash forward is a Volvo which Gus drove before Walt killed him. Walt also takes on Gus' persona when Lydia tries to meet with him while he's working at his front. It seems to make sense that Walt ends up causing her death somehow with Skyler's speeches about her complicity from her inability to leave him or turn him in. She does have a price to pay and if Walt can cause a plane crash he can end up killing his wife somehow without breaking a sweat.

If that turns out to be the case I wonder if he is coming back to protect Walt Jr/Holly or Jesse in the end. With the way they've setup the flash forward timeline it's almost like they want the outcomes for the characters to be predictable as the next episode or two unfolds. But in a way there aren't that many episodes left so the final sequence of events do need to start falling into place. It's also experientially weird now because it has been 6 years leading to this in real time but only 2 years in breaking bad time. I also marathoned the series for my 2nd watch leading up to this and now it's back to a week between episodes. Can't wait to see what happens.

16. The Dark Knight

Great post! :up: Thanks. Very interesting information.

17. tubby

tubby Active Member

In the flash forward, Walt has a beard and longer, messed up hair almost similar to how Jesse looked in the earlier seasons. I've seen theories where they think he killed Jesse as well.

18. The Dark Knight

I did find it odd when he told the Denny's waitress: "Yo, I need more bacon, bitch!" :)

19. PolygamyWinsChampionships

There is also another way that people are reading this scene, although it doesn't seem to be as strongly embedded as the Walt kills Skyler symbolism and I'm not sure how much I buy it but... The way Carol drops the groceries and they roll out onto the pavement is very reminiscent visually of the way Fredo drops the bag of groceries when Vito Corleone is shot and critically wounded in Godfather. It could suggest Walt will be gravely injured but survives only to succumb to his natural causes shortly thereafter. It seems a little bit tenuous but the series does often pay homage to quality predecessors in various shots. The scene in the pilot where we are introduced to Walt's sad life in front of his high school classroom feels very much like Election with Matthew Broderick who goes on to do some horrible deeds in the film. After rewatching the show I can also say there are a ton of winks from the camera and foreshadows so there are certainly some moments from that episode that will gain significance when the shit goes down.

I also found discussion about the symbolic use of colors in the show to be quite interesting. I hadn't thought of it before but Jesse's natural color is red which mixes with Walter White to create Pinkman just as Elliot Schwartz (black) mixed with him to create Grey Matter. I think that underscores the validity of drawing some deep subtexts from the various colors that are worn throughout the show since even the characters are named for colors:

http://www.reddit.com/r/breakingbad/comments/1k0yoe/my_take_on_the_color_symbolism_on_breaking_bad/

20. PolygamyWinsChampionships

I typed out another whole thing dismissing this idea but somehow I managed to click backspace at the end and the whole page went backwards losing the text, so fuck it. Bottom line Walt never kills Jesse. Couldn't happen, won't happen. Too much history, no way they rape the entire relationship that kept everyone watching for 6 years. I'll bet even hardcore feminists have secretly wanted to kill Skyler at least once throughout the series, although I admit she isn't as brutal to watch the second time around for me. Not retyping the rest of that.

Also I read the full head of hair more as a hint that Walt is going to likely call off his latest round of chemo after the shit with Hank/Lydia/Declan hits the fan rather than hiring doctors privately as Gus did to continue prolonging his life. It seems to suggest that Walt has already made the decision to go out shooting like Pacino in Scarface or die from his cancer shortly thereafter if he survives.