Will Mike Goodson return to the NY Jets this season. (update: returning 8/27)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by section331flagman, Aug 13, 2013.

?

Will Mike Goodson return to the NY Jets this season?

1. Yes

84 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No

27 vote(s)
    21.4%
  3. Who cares, he won't play anyway

15 vote(s)
    11.9%
  1. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I would really like to see him this year.

Gut feeling is we never see him and the silence is waiting on legal and finding a way to recoup the guaranteed signing money.

2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Check out the JDotGriff posts in this thread:
    http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=78235

Here's the first, there are more.
    From the time frame he was talking about it sounds like we could see him as soon as the Jags game, but almost certainly by next week.

3. max

max Active Member

I was reading an article about why goodson and mcknight should be cut.

I can't post links yet, but you can find it on rant sports. Just search: New York Jets Should Cut Mike Goodson And Joe McKnight

The article itself is sucks, but i came across a post in the comments section about if in fact goodson is in rehab, we have a good shot of getting him in this season.

The poster Charles Gallo seems well informed on the process of rehab.

"There is every reason to believe Mike Goodson is in Rehab. The team knows where he is, and have no problem with it. They do not talk about it, since as his employer it is illegal to do so. The media is also quiet about this, there are no “where is he” investigations. Mike Goodson of the New York Jets is just not that big, so there is no money in it for gossip tabloids who are willing to pay reporters and paparazzi. While a bona fide journalist has protection under the constitution, from the non-disclosure laws, the person who leaks a story or provides information to the reporter does not have this protection. Whoever gave the reporter information is doing something illegal. They are at risk for punishment by the state, their employer or whoever.

It seems that the case for the gun charges against Goodson is weak, since the driver, who is also the owner, of the car told the police the gun was his. So if Goodson has already completed Rehab it is likely there will be no jail time for the Pot found on him. Goodson is being proactive rather than reactive, the team knows this, that is why Rex is not frustrated. Completing Rehab also means the NFL is less likely to suspend him for more then one game, if that.

I use to make referrals to Rehab programs in my job so I would like to explain some things about Rehab programs. You did not have to be an "addict" to go to rehab. All you had to do was feel that your abuse of a substance was causing a problem in your life and you wanted help to stop using it. In theory, addiction only occurs when there is a physical dependency like heroin or alcohol. But a person could have a psychological dependency, and not be considered an addict. Yet they are having problems because of the abuse. That person should also go into a rehab program, although not an addict.

The problem may be getting drunk once a week on Saturday nights. But if you missed work on Sunday, to this extent it was causing problems in your life. If you can not stop this behavior on your own, you should go to rehab. But rehab is very, very expensive since you are an inpatient, so self-help programs, such as AA, exist for problems with a dependency. But these programs can not work with a true addiction, since the body has a physical need for the substance and will exhibit symptoms of withdrawal. Self-help programs rate of success are not as high for a dependency as are formal Rehab programs.

A program can be as short as 28 days and as long as a year. It depends on the type and severity of the problem. In Goodson's case there is an indication that it is for both pot and alcohol with alcohol being the greater problem. By law, the Jets can not say he is in rehab, it is a medical problem. The Rehab programs can be modified for special situations, a trainer can be brought in, in fact some type of physical activity is a part of most programs. Goodson has a lot of time for reading and studying the playbook. A program is not prison, and it is not meant to punish, but is client-centric and meant to improve the quality of life. Including running the ball since that is Goodson's job.

People think Rehab is a bad thing, it is not. Rehab is short for rehabilitation and is vindication of a person’s character and the re-establishment of that person’s reputation. It is a good thing not a bad thing. Rehab is nothing more then a period of time for isolation from the people and triggers that cause you to abuse the substance. It is also a chance for the substance to drain from your body and your body to adjust to once again being substance free. Doctors are there so that if you have a physical addiction, not just a dependency, they can treat the side effects of withdrawal (DT's or "delirium tremens in the case of alcohol). These are combined with psychological counseling and an education program in order to learn how to avoid the abuse of substance in the future. When completed it is followed by an outpatient self-help program for support and reinforcement.

The most important thing is the client wants to change their behavior, it can not be forced on someone and be successful. Goodson wanted to change, because of the character defects his usage caused, and that is a good thing. It is possible, except for the classroom work with the team, Goodson is doing the exact same things as Ivory is doing. I would not be amazed if I saw both of them standing side by side on the training field next week."

4. Barcs

Barcs Banned

^We aren't cutting anybody until we've got the solid core locked down.

We should turn this topic into a vbet, because I'm as close to positive as one can be without directly talking to the man himself, that he's in rehab and will be back soon.

5. patdaman819

patdaman819 Member

i agree with these two we the running game would have been pretty nice this year

6. John

John Active Member

I think Goodson will return this year. I really think he can help us. This guy is explosive he turns dump off passes to 20+ yards

7. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

The guy is a mediocre talent at best,just cut him and be done with it

8. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

I disagree. He is more than a "Mediocre talent". As with most backfields, diversity in ability is key to the effectievness of the runner. Goodson has some unique talents (quick change of pace, can get to top end speed very fast, has very good straight line speed, can catch the ball, can pass protect) and his only real question is his ability to run between the tackles (insert Chris Ivory).

Goodson is an essential component of the Jets ground and short passing game this year. Joe McKnight, who has similar talents, has many more issues than Goodson. Sounds funny but is true. Goodson stays, Joe is cut.

9. NotSatoshiNakamoto

What good does cutting him now do if he's going to be available next week? It's not like we're busting at the seems with talented RB's.

10. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Why do you even bother responding to this guy's posts?

11. JdotGriff

JdotGriff Well-Known Member

All though i do believe we WILL hear from mike by next week i wouldn't get to excited about him playing until preseason week 4.

Guys saying cut him and hes average and such dont really understand what mike bring to the table.

Mike Goodson is another Reggie Bush style back. All though he may not be a 3 down back but the versatility he brings to our back will be a nice boost for this team. Specially when it really is starting to look like Mcknights days are numbered.

12. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Some people don't deserve second chances and Mike Goodson is a mediocre player who got arrested because his prioritys clearly weren't in order so fuck him, we traded a 4 th round pick for Ivory don't blame me blame Idzik who brokered both these deals,you should know what being "forgetable" is because I haven't even finished writing this and I've already forgotten your name

#32 LongIslandBlitz, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  13. JdotGriff

So when you were in your 20's you never got drunk and passed out some where? If so should you have lost your career over that?

So in this perfect world of condemn anyone who makes a mistake who exactly
    do we replace goodson with since griffin has a broken leg and mcknight is one hit away from retirement. Should we just go into the season with Ivory and Powell?

14. max

max Active Member

There was also an unregistered gun and a couple of half smoked joints in the car. If he was just drunk he would have been on the field by now.

15. JdotGriff

Owner of the gun has already taken ownership of it. And honestly the being drunk worries me more then a joint in the truck. If we cut every player int he nfl who smokes weed we would be left with 4 teams int he league and they would probably resemble the London Silly Nannies.

16. max

max Active Member

I'm not saying we cut him. But the fact that he's been in trouble before and then something stupid like this happens is concerning.

He’s had multiple paternity suits filed against him. He was sued by a jewelry store for not paying a $50,000 bill, and has been evicted for not paying rent multiple times.

It pisses me off that we paid this guy almost 7 million dollars and he cant be on the field because of bs like this.

We don't even know if he is going to be good. There has to be a reason oakland let go of him. Mcfadden is hurt every year and they have no other established rb's on the roster.

Done with my venting.

17. Sandman

Sandman Well-Known Member

eh what? racist! ;)

18. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

If he returns, he will certainly get a chance to play. Jets are thin and getting thinner at RB.

19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Just like I said in another post, I'd MUCH rather have Goodson running drunk than McKnight holding his head on the sidelines.

What happened to the good ol days when players snorted a rail on the way to the tunnel?

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You just justified the post you quoted.