The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. NotSatoshiNakamoto

1) Where are you getting your official practice QB stats from?
    2) Are they broken down by drill/practice situation? 11 on 11, 7 on 7, redzone, 4th and game ...
    3) What are the INT and TD percentages?
    3a) What are the YPC stats?
    4) How many shoe string catches did Kellen Winslow (who has yet to play while Geno is w/the ones) have for Sanchez?
    5) How many passes need to be thrown before completion percentage is a worthwhile figure? How many have been thrown?
    6) Are we really going to track practice stats like this?

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

practice stats only count and are discussed on here if Mark's #s are bad.

3. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

soon then :wink:

4. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

im just curious what stat does count then? cause when sanchez threw for a lot of tds, well his comp% wasnt high enough, now his comp% is high, but how many touchdowns has he thrown? even though a lot of the offense is working on just getting the plays installed

5. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Sanchez threw to Winslows feet twice, behind Gates and got picked, an out to Braylon behind him and Braylon had to adjust to make the catch

Geno threw a late come back and dangerous pass in traffic

It's not about completion percentages with these guys it's about making good throws

So in all Sanchez has been showing poor ball placement while Geno is adjusting to the timing in rhythm on intermediate routes

Going down the field however this is no contest

6. nyjunc

It's hard to evaluate based on #s in real games, it's pretty much impossible in practice. By all accounts they have both looked good and if that is the case I expect Geno to win the job but it's very early in camp and we can't gauge too much off of #s from a practice where we have no idea how those #s are being accumulated.

I said the same thing when mark was struggling w/ #s in TC and minicamp and I will say the same as he is apparently doing well.

7. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

all im saying is that the only thing people are going off of is all the fluff coming out saying how great geno looks

well, sanchez is quietly playing just fine yet nobody is talking about that

8. nyjunc

That is b/c he is hated and most people want geno to win the job, in 2 years it will be geno playing the role of Mark and a new QB playing the role of Geno.

I want both guys to do well, I just want to win no matter who wins the job.

9. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

There is a blind hate on Sanchez from the media and all fans alike. 1)He plays for the Jets 2) Butt fumble hahahahahah butt fumble thanks Espn :up: 3) He has had 2 terrible seasons (this is not all his fault, but ppl love to hate blindly) We have not given him much on offense for help, he has had his skull rattled for the better part of two seasons and he has a dick head named Holmes who is suppose to be his #1 receiver but is really just a garbage man and no better than most #2 receivers on any team. All said, Sanchez hasn't had much to push him to be a better player until... Geno Smith.

People aren't sure yet what's going on over here. One thing is for certain, we have a legitimate competition at Quarterback.

This is all good news for Jets fans.

10. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

I personally haven't been paying much attention to TC stats. I have no idea where they're from, or what the circumstances of them are.

the only stat that interested me was Geno not getting any picks if only because its odd that in all practices it hasn't happened.

I'm interested in the idea that Geno is making some good situational decisions and may have better chemistry with Hill than Sanchez (which I'll be sure to keep an ear out for the next two practices) but the stats behind his performance are useless next to how frequently he's executing.

its not stats that the coaches will look at, rather its who will run the offense the best. Sanchez has silently been doing alright "statistically" but we'll see if he does well enough to be that guy.

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

So you're not going to fill us in on where your official practice stats come from?

Yes, it sounds like Sanchez has been doing well too. But he should be blowing away a rookie who never played in a WCO. Sure doesn't sound like that's the case?

12. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Whoever plays is fine with me, just win.

Baby.

13. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

i look at it as the tripple constraints of management ... you cant have a high quality product, for very little cost, in very little time. one of those elements has to be sacrificed

geno had to learn an entire playbook, work on his footwork/drop back, and get himself in top shape, with a limited window to do so ... if one of those had to be sacrificed, im glad he chose the conditioning aspect

aaron rodgers is one of the fastest QBs in the league

14. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Didn't Geno bust one down the sideline for a TD? Thought I read that.

15. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Blow him away in what respect? The offense is half installed and they only have had one practice in pads. Geno form all reports has a big arm a big arm looks impressive in 7v7 and in shorts.

The difference should come as the schemes get more complicated and reading defenses become more paramount. I am not saying Geno won't shine but rookies rarely do. Geno looking good now means just one thing he has talent and a big arm. We will see if he can be an NFL Qb.

Geno what I like thus far from reports- He can spin the ball and his accuracy has been better than advertised at least when he is not going get hit.

Concerns from reports- Has big long release (hope this does not mean slow release). Still struggling from under center. Holds the ball to long.

Long way to go may the best man win.

16. laxin

laxin Active Member

Where have you heard this? Marty praised him on his transition to under center and I havent heard anything about his "release".

17. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

2 of them, he's going vertical a ton

18. NotSatoshiNakamoto

They're playing 11 on 11 too and they've had padded practices too.

Geno is supposed to be struggling. He's not. Sanchez isn't lighting it up either, but sounds solid. I would expect Sanchez to be noticeably better in the first practices. He's not. In fact it sounds like Geno is noticeably better.

I haven't heard anyone say he has a "big long release" or that he's struggling from center. In fact Morningwood talked about how smooth and seamless his transition to under center has been. Where did you hear these things???

19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Funny.

You never seem to be "denoucing the media" when you trumpet a positive story that emerges about Sanchez.

20. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

they have been all over twitter dude