Rate My Team: Pre-Training Camp Draft Edition

Discussion in 'Fantasy Football' started by milo, Jul 23, 2013.

1. milo

milo Well-Known Member

So here's my first real team for the year (I like to get at least one before camp starts):

Yahoo 10-man standard:

QB - Andrew Luck
    RB - Alfred Morris, Trent Richardson
    WR - Percy Harvin, Victor Cruz, Antonio Brown
    TE - Martellus Bennet

K - Janikowski
    Def - Cinci

Bench:
    Reggie Bush
    Chris Ivory
    Jonathan Franklin
    Vick Ballard

Tavon Austin
    T.Y. Hilton

Any thoughts would be appreciated, not only on team, but also on not drafting a backup QB or TE, with QB deep and TE kind of equally terrible after Graham/Gronk.

2. CraigF1210

CraigF1210 Member

With how many good QBs there are, and in a 10 man league, you need to do better than Luck, especially without a backup.

your rbs, with Morris and Richardson, I'm assuming you picked at the very end of the draft. but you don't have much consistency. Morris was great last year, but he is still an unproven late round pick who had a big year under Mike Shanahan. You got a bunch of backup rbs, but outside of Bush, not much of a track record for any of them either.

wrs. Cruz is consistent, Harvin has never been huge in fantasy but people seem higher on him this year. Brown dissappointed last season but now that wallace is completely gone he should get some more deep looks.

TE, nothing spectacular, not a glaring hole, if you miss out on a big TE in the midrounds, I'd suggest stashing someone like Cook or Jordan on your bench for the first few weeks incase they break out

Don't mean to be harsh, but just not a team I'd be happy with, esp in a 10 team league.

3. milo

milo Well-Known Member

I picked last, so any RB's with a track record were gone, which is part of why I went with so many backups. And as far as pure opportunity goes, I have 3 out of six virtually uncontested starters, and 1 (Ivory) who I think will end up being our bellcow.

Wr I gambled a bit on upside, but again, when you're picking 10th you're either getting your RB's and passing on every proven WR, or you're trading a proven WR or two for a scrap heap RB - you just can't have both at that spot.

I personally think Luck is incredible value where he's going right now (I got him in the 8th). He got overshadowed last year by RG3 and Wilson, but he's the real deal. Combine that with the fact that he had sneaky good run production (255 yards and 5 TD's) last year and he has his Stanford offense back I think he could be a top 5 QB this year.

4. kerley11

kerley11 Member

I actually really like your team. I might consider dropping Ballard for a backup QB though. Ballard could be third on the depth chart (Bradshaw,Brown).

5. kerley11

kerley11 Member

I think Richardson is going to be a beast this year, and Luck is a perfectly solid fantasy QB starter IMO. As long as Harvin can hold up, I think your in good shape. If he gets hurt though, I wouldn't be too comfortable with Austin or Hilton. Rookie WRs tend not to have too big of an impact, and Hilton is a bit of a risk.

6. milo

milo Well-Known Member

Appreciate the input. I actually dropped Ballard for Aaron Dobson for now.

My original thinking with him was that Bradshaw NEVER gets through a season unscathed, but I have enough Rb's without him. And call it a gut feeling, but I think Dobson ends up being that "where the fuck did that guy come from??" that the Pats have every year, especially considering how paper thin they are at wideout.

I may end up grabbing a backup QB at some point, but for now my league has guys like Freeman, Palmer, Tannehill, and Schaub undrafted...more than capable of filling in should I need it.