ESPN: Milliner signed; all picks signed

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ajetsfan4ever, Jul 21, 2013.

1. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Just another reason not to have expectations for this year. It'd be nice if the rookies were in from day one, but it's not like we're going anywhere anyway.

2. skipper

skipper Member

If you are talking about this year's 6th or 7th round draft choices to start, I agree completely. If you are talking about those draft choices from a year before, players the coaches have watched and worked with for a full year plus one more current training camp, maybe not so much. Remember, draft position is not an ABSOLUTE determinant of skill. Some low draft picks play well. Also remember, last year we had a couple of decent-to-good players starting at safety, so the rooks got little chance to get game reps. But the coaches saw them in real NFL practices.

3. MoWilkNYJ

MoWilkNYJ Well-Known Member

I agree with you for the most part but from what I've seen I'm not sure Allen or Bush or gonna be an asset in the secondary. Granted the coaches have seen more in practice so maybe they're making big strides. Regardless, I'm excited for the preseason to see how they do.

Plus there are players like Hayden Smith, Ivory, Goodson, and Justin Hunter who haven't shown much statistically, but could be vital pieces in the offense.

4. Buttfumble

Buttfumble New Member

This doesn't really matter. About half of the 1st round picks are still unsigned, the Vikes haven't signed any of their 3 yet.

espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/78309/contract-status-of-2013-nfl-first-round-draft-picks

5. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say I'm "worried' or that this is an "issue" or anything like that but, still, would be nice to have everyone locked up sooner rather than later. My bet is all three are signed by Wednesday but if it's Friday and a few of them aren't locked up then it might be cutting it a bit closer than I had hoped.

6. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Milliner, Richardson and G.Smith still not signed.

Geno has signed per Nyjets twitter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

#26 Jay Bizniss, Jul 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  7. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Geno is signed. Yet another thing Hobbes is wrong about

8. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Just the two first rounders to go now. Might get it all squared away today, which would be nice.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets had 3 early picks this year and they have 11 or 12 overall next year. They also have to get Wilkerson locked up after next season. Idzik is probably going to take a firm line on all of these negotiations because once he goes loose on any of them all of them become harder.

Nobody wants to be the guy the team is tough on in negotiations. That's why you have to be consistent across the board.

10. xxlegend

xxlegend Banned

sigh always something with the jets :/

11. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

How about we leave the front office stuff to the guys who work it for their jobs.
    Obviously it will be worked out.

12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

every team needs to have 6th and 7th round picks become starters. rosters cant be filled with 1-3rd round picks, the good teams find late round steals.

13. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Seriously. For once I wish they just stay low key like the Patriots. It's not like almost half the first round picks league wide still aren't signed. err ...

14. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

Yeah, We should have an off season to which we accused a president of stealing one of our SB rings, have a player arrested for MURDER, re-sign Tebow and not release a player that just recently got arrested again.

15. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

G.Smith signed!!! Milliner and Richardson expected to sign soon!

16. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

:lol:11 wins? with el taco as the starter? :rofl2:

11 losses are more like it. and, that assumes he gets pulled at some point and either smith or mcelroy get to start so they can have a shot at 5 wins.
    the opening game is el taco's best shot at a win, since they have all summer to prep. after that, other coaches use the game tape to g to school on mm's offense here. :sad:

17. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

:metal:brady, 6th round. stevie johnson, 7th round. you know, the guy who did not get stranded on revis island.:grin:

18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

those are extremes, i was thinking more like slauson was. if you can find a 6th-7th round solid starter it helps the cap,it helps depth(because you probably had a guy to compete with the late draft pick) and it lets you spend in another area if a good f.a. comes available.it doesn't have to be every year. but every so often hitting on a 6th-7th rounder is what keeps the good teams good

19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Idzik is in a true 'win-win' situation.

If things pan out and the Jets win big early and often that says there's something right about the Jets, and wholesale changes just aren't needed. Win!

But if we stink up the joint, well, he's only one year into a total rebuild and he'll have another high draft to get the pieces he needs. Win!

As far as this pre-season, it HAS to be better than last year....weren't the jets the only starting offense that failed to score a single TD in pre-season last year? Hard to do worse than that!

20. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

the JETS then proceeded to score 48 points in their opener...
    preseason ...lol