NJ.com: 2011, the Jets gave Harris the biggest contract of any ILB in NFL history

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Axel3419, Jun 25, 2013.

1. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Replacing Tannenbaum was a good move towards sensible management. Jury is still out on Izdick. So far, so good.

2. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

He is overpaid but does things that don't show up in the box score. A very solid player.

3. Tannenbaum is on record about the David Harris deal. They recognize that he gets paid above & beyond the norm. The organization felt he was extremely valuable not just as a player but also as a leader & wanted to reward him.

With all the talk about the Jets not caring about their locker room..you have to admire that foresight. After Willis there isn't another middle linebacker I would want than Harris. He calls all the plays for the D, he leads by example, he's always classy to the media & he makes plays on the football field.

Problem is..he's about a year away from being a 2 down player. His salary does not justify the means at that stage. Hence the writing is kind of on the wall unless he's willing to take a major paycut to stay in green.

4. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Definitely one of the most consistently above average ILBs. Dude is always where the ball carrier is. He doesn't just fling his body at the ball carrier, he damn well tackles him. He's one of the best tacklers in the NFL.

That being said, he's definitely overpaid.

5. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Harris is one of the most overrated players on the Jets. He is also one of the most overpaid players in the league.

He doesn't play the run very well at all. Bart Scott has made him look a lot better then he really is. It's not a shock that since Scott's play has declined so has Harris'.

He's not terrible in pass coverage or even at blitzing. But he is awful against the run.

He grades out terribly on Pro Football Focus.

6. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

Little issue with this topic.

Have one about how much we pay Holmes? Im in on that mess.

7. Rhodes Scholar

I've also seen the argument made that they overpaid him to compensate for making him play out his rookie salary of like 550K his last year, because they needed cap money that year, so basically you can tack on an extra year to his contract to see the real value. They were paying him retroactively for the year prior. Not sure if this was a great idea, but this was when they were juggling a lot of big contracts for our best players, and Harris was willing to play out his cheap rookie contract, which he had clearly outperformed.

8. BleednGreen247

my god tanny was atrocious in hindsight

9. Mr. 123

Mr. 123 New Member

One needs to look in the mirror and question their football intellect if you ever thought Tanny, Rex, Taco, Woody were any good at what they do. Im completely serious. As a GM Tanny was awful. He He couldn't evaluate talent to save his life. Amazing people gave him credit as a "numbers guy" lol.
    Rex has turned this team into a joke. Not only by his dumb statements time after time, but his decision making, talent evaluation, game management and lack of knowledge about 2/3's of a football team have been very poor. We're talking about a guy who was handed a very , very good football team, lost control and drove it into the ground. Hes been here for 4 years and lost the locker room twice for fuck sakes.
    Taco ... fuck where to start lol? Bottom line is he also was handed a very good team and just shit tge bed. Talk about ideal circumstances. Very, very good defense. Not all time great or anything, but one of the best during that time frame if not the best. He also had a top 5-10 running game. And he could of had a lot worse than Keller, Holmes, Edwards etc. Hes easily one of the biggest disappointments in jets history. Top 5 pick that has only regressed. His footwork, lack of accuracy, decision making, pocket awareness are just god awful. His accuracy around the los is absolutely putrid. 5 years in and he still cant make some of the simplest throws a QB has to make. How some can defend this guy is just comical and shows their lack of football intelligence.

10. Puggy

Puggy New Member

Typical Tannenbaum.

11. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Is this a old thread? If not wow, a little late, on this breaking news

12. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

I disagree with this entire post. Harris is excellent VS the run and not as good VS the pass, but still average to above. This defense would be lost without him and we had to overpay to keep him as our cog. To say that Bart Scott made David Harris look better is blasphemy!

13. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I always thought it was the exact opposite. There were a few plays last year were he was terrible in coverage. I always thought he was good against the run, but he was limited with the declining OLBs. The runs that killed us last year were runs around the edge, not runs right up the middle. Although with the Po'uha and Ellis injuries we were weaker up the middle for a bit. Harris doesn't usually miss tackles. We have Davis now as well who will play the same position but focus more on coverage since he's quicker, rather than beefier. Harris' skillset is based around stopping the run, not dropping back into coverage. With Rex calling plays this year, it's going to be nasty up front. I'm not even slightly worried about it, although I'll agree he's over payed.

#33 Barcs, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  14. Scott played a different role than Harris..hard to compare. Scott was more about filling gaps & taking on lead blockers.Harris was basically the run finisher & stayed on the field in passing situations. That said believe Harris is the superior player.

15. MoWilkNYJ

MoWilkNYJ Well-Known Member

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/av_single_season.htm

Was just looking around on pro-football-reference. David Harris in 2009 was tied for the 237th best season since 1950. Compared to players this year, his AV was the same as Brady, RGIII, Cameron Wake, and Geno Atkins. A lot of other big names up there in the past like TO (in his best season), Marino (his second best season), Peyton Manning (his 3rd best season), and Unitas (his second best season).

Not saying Harris is as good as these guys, but I didn't realize how good he was that year. 2012 was not good for him, but hopefully he can bounce back.

http://www.sports-reference.com/blog/approximate-value/

To give you an idea of their scoring system.

16. KJet84

KJet84 Member

I don't understand how anyone on our defense was supposed to have a good season when they were on the field for 75% of the game. I can't imagine how fatigued that defense must have been when our offense had more three and outs and more turnovers than ive ever seen. When Harris is at full strength and our defense isnt exhausted, i still think he is a top 10 ILB in NFL. Just my opinion...

17. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Agree with this.

18. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

19. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Calm down, it's the offseason. We need something to talk about :breakdance:

20. coloradojet

coloradojet Active Member

Tannenbaum also went after Asomugha and Manning. How was he going to fit even one of them under the salary cap? There was definitely something wrong with him.

Let's not forget the contract he gave to Hunter.