2013 NHL general discussion thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Yisman, Jan 19, 2013.

1. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Congrats to the Black Hawks, this just shows how hard it is to win the Cup, as good as Bruins played, they still couldn't win it

2. wexy

wexy Member

that was a stunning ending. Congrats to the Black Hawks.. crazy

3. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Best trophy in sports

4. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

As a Leafs fan I wanted to get outsider feelings on the Bernier trade. Within the Leafs fan realm you always have the extremes of everything they do is genius or everything they do is terrible. The latter is probably more accurate but was hoping for some moderate opinions, not just Leaf haters.

Personally I'm not sold on Reimer being a starting caliber keeper. He plays pretty solid but he has a few major holes in his game. Namely he loses track of the puck too often, lets out massive rebounds, can't handle the puck behind his net and drops down too early all the time leaving the top shelf exposed combine that with a so-so (at best) glove hand and you've got some issues.

Bernier, on the other hand, seems to be a pretty well rounded keeper but doesn't have much in the way of experience and the experience he does have is with a Championship caliber team, which the Leafs are not.

What they gave up: Frattin hurts a bit but he's hardly irreplaceable, same goes for Scrivens. The things that bother me are the 2nd rounder and retaining salary. Considering the Kings had no real intention on keeping Bernier behind Quick and he was an RFA I would have though he would have come relatively cheap...but maybe there was a bidding war.

Anyway. This post got much longer than I intended. I know most people want to talk about the Cup and rightfully so but wanted to see if I could get an opinion on this deal as well. It's the offseason now after all!

5. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Leafs overpaid and their goaltending was not the biggest issue in the playoffs. I like Bernier but Reimer should have been given another year

6. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Trade makes little sense unless they aren't sold on Reimer. Frattin looks like a good young player.

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Congratulations to the Blackhawks! Great SCF! Sadly, now we only have baseball until NFL preseason kicks off.

8. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

That's what it looks like to me. I don't blame them for not being sold on him, he has some pretty glaring holes, but IMO they should have either gone all out and got an obvious starter over Reimer no questions asked (not Luongo) or have just stuck with Reimer and Scrivens to see how it turned out. If they still aren't happy with Reimer try to address it then.

Now we've given up some not so insignificant assets for a guy who might play 20 games a season for a few years and then be gone via trade for likely less than what we gave up or via free agency for nothing.

9. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Wait, the Rangers/Canucks swapped coaches? Haha. I didn't think about that til just now.

11. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

I agree. Looks like a very lopsided trade to me and I thought that Reimer looked very good last year, I don't think Bernier's going to give them enough to make it worth what they've sent to LA.

12. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

13. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

Double post?? wtf.

14. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

I've been watching Rugby and Soccer.

15. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

16. Johnny English

Slightly surprising presser, showed a greater degree of self awareness than I thought he was capable of. Maybe he has a chance there, although I still expect him to revert to form.

17. matt robinson 17

TDK baseball is like watching grass grow, but at least we have the Jets...:drunk:

18. matt robinson 17

I expect the latter

19. Johnny English

Letang turns down an 8 year, $56M extension. He apparently believes he's worth more than Karlsson or Doughty.

20. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

Chicago, what a great sports town.

[​IMG]